E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Budders

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Two rear blown speakers 330Ci Questions

Hey all, Im new here. I purchased a 2001 330Ci over the winter. I could hear one speaker was blown when I bought it and didnt mind because I've installed a system before on my previous car, a Ford. I opened up the speaker grills today to find both rear speakers blown.

After doing some research I found out BMW makes it really hard for us to upgrade the Audio..

What size speakers are in the rear deck of my 2001 330Ci?

Can anyone send me a link to the type of adapter I would need to get a regular set of speakers to fit ( i know BMW has wierd screw holes and odd speaker sizes).

Any recommendations for speakers?

In my previous car I installed 4 pioneer 6x9's and a new headunit and the sound was perfect for me.. I think I spent 50-100$ on each set So I'd like to spend around the same and get the same audio quality out of them.

What ohms are the rear speakers?

Any help would be appreciated!
Budders is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
BMW doesn't make it hard... most bmw owners like the head unit in their cars. I really like it because of the look. simple and clean. What you can do is replace the speakers. 5 1/4 is the size.

You can check Crutchfield for options. I just reinstalled Focal speakers in my rear. I had them in my old 328ci. JBLs or whatever your taste is will be fine.

The install is easy. I'm surprised you can't find any info. I just googled "how to install speakers in an e46"
Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Budders

I keep finding info on different models with hk systems.. People say some same model cars, but different years will have two different speaker sizes. I'm just looking for a definite answer.
Budders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci

I have a non-HK system with the same year and model. The rears are 6.25in. It is very difficult to find 6.25s if they exist aftermarket. You're best bet is either bsw, order new OEM ones from ecs, or get a set of 6.5 2ohm infinitys and make brackets for them do they can be sealed from front to back.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
TnT817

If you have any question just pop up your speaker grill. Just make sure to use an interior tool or carefully use a large flat head screwdriver to pop it up.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
markusmarkus

I installed infinity Perfect 6.1 Kapa speakers in the rear of my coupe. They sound great.

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile

I just took out my two blown speakers in the rear. I never have anyone back there anyways.

328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
TnT817

When you take them out with the factory system or don't have a sub you will not get any bass in the car. A lot of people take them out to in a sense replace them with a sub, but if you don't do a sub then it will not sound very good.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile

The speakers in the footwell provide enough bass for my taste. What I originally did was I took out the two blown speakers and replaced them with some pioneers even though the pioneers were 4 ohms and the oem speakers 2ohms. End results were crappy bass improvement and I figured what the heck if they're not help them I'll just shave the weight off. What I did was I adjusted the bass on the head unit to be at max and lowered the treble. Like I said the footwell speakers have good enough bass and the front door speakers and rear door speakers take care of the treble meanwhile the tweeters do their job. I have the hi-fi sound package. Coming from my previous e46 with the HK package I can't help but miss it. Oh we'll trade offs must be made. I carry a bike with my fold down seats sometimes so a sub would just get in the way.

328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
TnT817

The biggest mistake people make when replacing speakers with aftermarket ones is that they don't provide the right environment for the speaker. You HAVE to seal the front from the back or else quality will suffer severely.

Last edited by TnT817; 05-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.
TnT817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
We offer a plug and play rear midbass replacement for your vehicle that will improve the sound quality, and is also backed by a 4 year warranty. If you have any questions on this please feel free to contact me directly!

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...er-Sedan-Rear/

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
enrike

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I installed infinity Perfect 6.1 Kapa speakers in the rear of my coupe. They sound great.
Amazon carries them but at $225, I think I'll pass
enrike is offline   Reply With Quote