E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
Speaker alternatives to Rainbow/BSW? (HK, non-nav Touring)

I know BSW uses Rainbow Speakers IQ line in their kits... I wanted to do a little research on the speakers themselves, so I went on the Rainbow site... Aside from being filled with text placeholders and typos and whatnot...

(Under each picture on the main page is this:

Text about this line goes here. Keep it simple and short.

not entirely detail oriented, but whatevs.)

... all they mention is a single kit for the BMW E46:

2-Way Component system
6.5 inch Woofer
max. 150 Watt
Part number: 231210
Factory location: Front door, mirror triangle
For use with sedan and touring only.

I guess I didn't think they'd spell out the BSW kit, but I thought I'd at least see all the options for the E46. (Or IS it the full BSW kit, and it's just not that clear in the description?)

Oh, they also have this big disclaimer: DO NOT BUY RAINBOW SPEAKERS ONLINE. THEY ARE COUNTERFEIT! And then they have a map of authorized distributors/installers. And BSW isn't among them. Heh.

Anyhoo, I'd be remiss in my research of audio-improvement options for my 325i Touring if I didn't at least look into BSW and their plug-n-play kit. But it's danged expensive.

I'm still trying to figure out why they don't have a rear-mid-bass unit for the HK system in the wagon. (If you have HK, they take $100 off the price, but you don't get the rear mid-bass speakers. Stock mid-basses are 6x9 instead of 6.5 round, and they say they this:

*If your vehicle is equipped with Harman Kardon, your rear midbass drivers will not be replaced with this package; this is because the mounting area for these speakers is too small to accommodate an aftermarket speaker with peformance that meets BSW's high standards.

I'm sure there have to be 6x9 mid basses out there that are high quality, but maybe not from Rainbow.

So, I'd like to hear from those of you (wagon owners, especially!) who've replaced your factory speakers who went with something other than BSW... I had CDT drivers in my Jetta, and they were great.

What did you go with?
Did you replace all of them, or did you leave some of them out of the system?
Was it worth it? Lots of modifications to make it fit?

I might do the amp eventually, but I'd probably just start with the speakers.

Music-wise, I like lots of acoustic stuff, but not new age! Progressive Bluegrass. (String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mountain String Band, etc...) Country Blues. Steve Earle. Peter Rowan. Punch Brothers. Grateful Dead. Steely Dan. Bruce Cockburn. Little Feat.

No rap, hip hop, heavy metal or any of that. I like crisp, clean sound. Well balanced.

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.

Last edited by terzinator; 02-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
If I were you, I'd remove the rear midbass to take a look at what depth you have. If they are normal 6x9 size, you can just go from there.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
terzinator

so, let's say I find some quality 4-ohm 6x9 mid-bass speakers that fit in the rear location... no amplifier changes need to be made? Just slap 'em in? Any specs, in particular, I should look at? (Especially to make the rears play nice with the rest of the BSW kit if I chose to go that route?)

I'm intrigued by the PnP nature of the BSW stuff, as I don't really want to spend a lot of time fabricating MDF surrounds, etc... SQ is important, but again, I don't CRANK the volume... and if it's measurably better than stock, that's something.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
We are not longer on their list because we no longer use them as our manufacturer. And we have not used them for years. However when we did we were ordering direct from Rainbow and not selling counterfeits. At this point in time you would be receiving BSW branded speakers. They are our speakers from our Build House in Chicago. We are the retailer, we are customer support and we are the manufacturer. Allows strict quality control and we can design new kits from the ground up.

No one else offers a similar product. We are using factory hardware to install. We use 3 screws to install the mids. Direct fit 6.25" drivers. It sounds like our upgrade might be just what you are looking for in your E46.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth

Last edited by Halston@BSW; 02-20-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361422383
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
terzinator

Cool. Didn't know you guys had moved to your own products. (Or I don't know, specifically, where I got the idea you still were using Rainbow!)

Great to know, thanks.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I've bought my speakers

from Madison Sound (http://www.madisound.com/).

Rears: Infinity Perfect 6.1 Kappas with Infinity crossover

Rears:
- woofer: Diamond Audio Tech 6.5 inch woofers
- mid: Vifa NE65W, 2" full-range drivers
- SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G (H1396) 1" textile dome tweeters

The front crossover is a Mavin 12db 3-way 4-ohm. Here's the link: http://www.mavin.com/store.php/produ...2-db-crossover

I also installed an Infinity Basslink subwoofer. The sound is great.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 02-21-2013 at 03:19 PM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
Cool. Didn't know you guys had moved to your own products. (Or I don't know, specifically, where I got the idea you still were using Rainbow!)

Great to know, thanks.
No problem at all!

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote