E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Reddog 328i

My Ride: Silver 2000 328i
Opinions requested on Belle Tire's $1500 estimate for repairs. DIY a possibility?

Hey all, I recently just had some issues with the Bimmer. Got a flat tire (rear left), put the spare on, and almost immediately blew that. (Didn't check the tire pressure, but it looked / felt OK enough to at least drive on for a few miles).

Took it into Belle Tire and slapped a cheap tire on, and it's been riding OK since, however they quoted me $1500 for a couple of new tires for the front, as well as fixing a multitude of problems.

I was just wondering if:

A. This looks like a decent quote

B. If any of this could be done myself. My experience has been limited to replacing the water pump, brakes, headlights and air intake. All of it was relatively painless with the proper tutorial. However, I would be lying if I said I knew exactly where the control arms were even located.

Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	491163  
Reddog 328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
You blew a tire and that bent both control arms? D:
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Reddog 328i

My Ride: Silver 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo View Post
You blew a tire and that bent both control arms? D:
I guess I should have elaborated more on that.

They noticed the problems when I took it in for a new tire. I have no idea what from, I've had the car for the last 70k miles and it checked out fine. Never hit anything (well, girlfriend hit the garage door pulling in. New driver ) except a few potholes, and bit the curb lightly once.
Reddog 328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
That looks like an estimate for 2 new tires mounted and balance along with replacing both front control arms and an alignment.

you can buy and replace both front control arms+bushings for less yourself.
It's a DIY that I don't feel is that hard given the tutorials/steps and really doesn't take any special tools you can't get cheap at a Harbor Freight store.

tires and alignment look about average. you can always pay more or less on tires depending on brand/model you shop for.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
At your level, I'd give the front control arms a shot yourself and let them do the rest.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
Makes me think if I should check mine out.. I've hit so many potholes, some hard ones too..

I'm sure you can replace the control arms yourself though.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Redline4

My Ride: 02' 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Redline4
Control arms aren't hard to replace in my opinion. If you have the right tool it takes no time if you have some experience in cars.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Agreed. One of my first DYI jobs was replacing my control arm bushings, which is harder than replacing the entire control arm with bushing attached. Super easy DYI job that requires very little in tools. I think you can pick up a set of control arms with bushings for less than $400 which will easily cut that bill in half. I tell ya though, I would be really surprised if they were bent, more likely the balljoints and bushings are just worn out. Either way just have them replace the tires with balance n all and do the control arms yourself.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...sion/ES205226/ Meyle HD replacement. I think most here will agree they are good quality. Had em on my last 330 with no issues.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...its/ES2225924/ Geniune BMW replacement. Considerably more expensive.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Never heard of Belle Tire, but I am not going to have a tire place do anything but tires. Period. Too many bad experiences with questionable mechanics and no special knowledge/training on our cars.
Get your tires, but make sure they are the exact ones you want---and the other work done by a pro, not a tire place.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Surrept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Never heard of Belle Tire, but I am not going to have a tire place do anything but tires. Period. Too many bad experiences with questionable mechanics and no special knowledge/training on our cars.
Get your tires, but make sure they are the exact ones you want---and the other work done by a pro, not a tire place.
We have Belle Tires here in Toledo. Reputable place from what I have gathered from locals. Honestly I agree with you except for the fact that he is only replacing the control arms. A monkey could do that job. I wouldn't worry so much about them doing it wrong but getting raped by them in part and labor costs.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

..and if you do get tires and alignment done from the shop and do the control arms and bushings yourself, make sure to get the alignment done after you do the control arms. not before or you'll likely need it done again.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Surrept

I did not need an alignment after control arms/bushings.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
I did not need an alignment after control arms/bushings.
you may not have felt you needed it, but i'm sure it was off.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
+1 an alignment is a MUST after arms are done.

Just get the tires done and that's it. Do the rest of the work and have them align the car.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Surrept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
you may not have felt you needed it, but i'm sure it was off.
Maybe, but it certainly drove straight and my tires did not wear unevenly. If that doesn't constitute not needing an alignment then I don't know what does.