E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
ultrabums

My Ride: e46 325i,2003
Wurth Radiator Seal for coolant leak

Hi, everyone..

I have a e46 325i (face-lifted, 2003/3).
Recently, I found out some small leak of coolant from radiator, slowly leak to under-cover.

Before fixing it physicially(such as radiator replacement, etc), I'd like to stop it temporarily. Some mechanic suggest to use below product.

Wurth Radiator Seal... but, seem they have two types of it...

http://www.wurth.co.uk/data/productdocuments/060035.pdf

Is there anyone who used it before?
I wonder whether it's okay to my car or damage to engine or not...
ultrabums is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
You're asking in the wrong place. That stuff is for junkers that you just want to keep on the road. We like to keep our cars running like new. And keep new parts in our cooling systems to protect our engines.
Would rather drink that stuff than put it into my rad.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
A new replacement radiator is your best bet since the coolant system pressurizes while running. Your slowly building up to a catastrophic failure.

A replacement from an auto parts store in the USA costs about ~150 USD, which is about ~162,000 KRW there in Korea.

Your options are going to be a parts store, or pay a premium at the BMW dealership. You may have better luck online though.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
ultrabums

Thanks a lot.. Almost kill my car.. I'll go check Pelican site or other online store...
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
That temp fix gunk gets stuck in your cooling system. It usually contains solids suspended in fluid and you'll never get it fully out of your cooling system. Never use it unless you've got a dirt-cheap beater that has a radiator that's literally more expensive to buy than the car itself.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
mkodama

It's a Wurth product, so it'll probably work, unlike the stuff you find in an autoparts store, which will cause a mess throughout your entire cooling system.

Even though I like Wurth products, I still recommend skipping it and just replacing the radiator. An aftermarket BEHR radiator has good fitment and is only around $200 US.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So, no one has said to make sure you know where the leak is from.

There are two commonly known radiator failures...one by the top neck of radiator, where the port gets brittle and cracks. That failure can go catastrophic quickly and so you shouldn't drive with it.

But, there's also a slow leak that I had...between the black side pod and aluminum fins. There's a gasket between the two...just by where the aluminum tabs hold onto the black plastic. If your leak is from there, I know that can stay stable for months. If you have that, just make sure you're keeping the system at a proper level with proper coolant...or if temps are above freezing now, just distilled water would be okay for a while...but not long.

Even though you can run on pure water, I hear there are many chemicals in coolant you want for a variety of reasons.

Monitor your level, DO NOT OVERFILL ET! Keep it between min and max level when the car is cold.

Read Mango's sticky and do what you can afford. With cooling systems, 'less is less and more is more'! Meaning, if you haven't replaced other components, now would be a good time...everything will be out and/or easily accessible.

If you begin to overheat, pull off, turn car off, and call a tow truck or risk your engine or just a couple thousand dollars of damage...and I'm very serious in case you didn't know.

And also, if you didn't know, you can do this yourself...you don't need a mechanic...and you should probably not take your car to the mechanic who suggested a temporary fix for a potentially serious issue...or he should have said, it's fine...it's a slow leak...keep it filled to the right level and monitor the level of coolant and your temp gauge...just like I said!

Find another mechanic...someone who cares about doing things the right way for your car.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Cinnamon fixes your problem No buildup and washes straight out.
I would never put any of that gunk in my engine.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
ultrabums

At the beggining, I was interested in all kinds of radiator seal, Wurth, Loctite, etc.. Now, I realized I was crazy...
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
There was a time when each of us considered, and had to think about that kind of solution. We never would have known without other's input.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote