E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
dslboomer! I just used the code search, it's really cool!

"How much BMW decided to output its specific codes to P codes? I don't know, but I see many manufacturer's specific codes like P1xxxx on the net, so they are being sent out as P codes."

This explains why I have a generic code reader and P1624 came up?
Good to hear that you like it.
The main reason I made it was to help lazy fanatics who did not even bother to search the descriptions of codes but expecting a help. I know it takes some effort to search for multiple codes. So my code search will really help who has multiple codes to quickly copy & paste the descriptions into a post.
I am in the process of searching and adding more BMW codes.

If I see a post without a description, I push ignore button.

Last edited by dslboomer; 02-19-2013 at 06:21 PM.
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
It does get a bit confusing as some manufacturers implement PID's are are manufacturer specific and may trigger codes/faults/history that only a manufacturer specific tools may be able to read, but not trigger the standard CEL.

And I do believe if the CEL lights, all tools should be able to read and display what code(s) was(were) triggered. The problem is sometimes a tool may misread or not properly state what the manufactures meaning is versus the generic description.

Although most people are lucky not to have automatic transmission codes, most generic scan tools will also read and display automatic transmission codes. I had an issue when replacing a valve body in a VW with a loose connection for a solenoid and my generic scan tool displayed the codes and allowed me to clear them as well.

A manufacturer specific tool may be able to read things like A/C pressures, transmission fluid temperature, oil temperature, interior temperature sensors, sunload sensor, HVAC flap position and so forth. This is where a generic tool may miss out.

But for a car like my E39 M5, a generic scan tool will have a bit problem with some things due to the sheer number of sensors.

The engine has 2 throttle position sensors, 2 MAF's, dual VANOS for 2 engine banks with 8 solenoids, so there is likely not a generic scan tool that will be able to read things like each individual TPS, MAF or VANOS solenoids.

The generic scan tool may be able to read some of the codes, but may not be able to discern between which TPS or MAF may have an issue??

But this is a rather unusual situation as compared to an E46.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
It does get a bit confusing as some manufacturers implement PID's are are manufacturer specific and may trigger codes/faults/history that only a manufacturer specific tools may be able to read, but not trigger the standard CEL.

And I do believe if the CEL lights, all tools should be able to read and display what code(s) was(were) triggered. The problem is sometimes a tool may misread or not properly state what the manufactures meaning is versus the generic description.

Although most people are lucky not to have automatic transmission codes, most generic scan tools will also read and display automatic transmission codes. I had an issue when replacing a valve body in a VW with a loose connection for a solenoid and my generic scan tool displayed the codes and allowed me to clear them as well.

A manufacturer specific tool may be able to read things like A/C pressures, transmission fluid temperature, oil temperature, interior temperature sensors, sunload sensor, HVAC flap position and so forth. This is where a generic tool may miss out.

But for a car like my E39 M5, a generic scan tool will have a bit problem with some things due to the sheer number of sensors.

The engine has 2 throttle position sensors, 2 MAF's, dual VANOS for 2 engine banks with 8 solenoids, so there is likely not a generic scan tool that will be able to read things like each individual TPS, MAF or VANOS solenoids.

The generic scan tool may be able to read some of the codes, but may not be able to discern between which TPS or MAF may have an issue??

But this is a rather unusual situation as compared to an E46.
If the car is built for the '96 model year or later, then any malfunction that triggers the Malfunction Indicator Light will be visible to any and all OBD II scanners. Period. Without exception. This is a requirement of the OBD II specification.

Can there be things that do not trigger the MIL? Yes. And a mfg. specific scanner might read more information than a generic scanner in this case. But if the MIL is on, then any scan tool that complies with the OBD II spec shoujld be able to read the code(s) that is(are) generated.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote