E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
justin654

My Ride: 03 325xi
Crazy squealing

Hello all, been a long time since I had to post here (Guess that's a good thing) but I'm back. Some information on what's happened prior to this squealing issue. Had parasitic battery drain, changed alternator and starter, seems to be gone now. Suddenly have this issue when revving above 1.5k rpm, and it is LOUD. I checked the rubber boot that is normally cracked or ripped but didn't find any. Any ideas? Here's a video of the sound.
justin654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
That sounds metallic to me not like belt slip. The pitch is sharp and steady like bearing noise. Belt or pulley squeal may hit that pitch but usually is more chattering not steady. (if that makes any sense)

Slack the belts slightly (one at a time) and see if it worsens. May be a loaded pulley or idler bearing under tension? Slack may clear it or increase it but you can find which belt drive system the culprit is hiding in. Not sure how to cheat the tensioner but there's got to be a way to temporarily release some pull for testing.

Edit: It is most noticeable in the drive belt area I assume? You were testing for a vac leak in the boot area. Man, that thing is too loud for a vac leak. Go back to what you recently replaced. The Alt and its belt/pulley path are suspicious.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 02-18-2013 at 08:16 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
justin654

It's almost so loud to the point of being overwhelming and hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, but yes, it's not as loud when I put my head up near the air filter area as it is standing in front of the car.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
White_Knuckles

Check edits above I added more stuff. Use a shop-vac hose or any plastic flex-pipe like a stethoscope and move the tip around while holding the other end on your ear. Move around the belt area not revving it. You may hear and find the chirpy bird by location. Use caution poking around in there! The high-rev test may be too much noise to isolate it.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
justin654

That would make sense. I had number 15 in this diagram give me massive issues when trying to put it back on after replacing the alternator.

Last edited by justin654; 02-18-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
White_Knuckles

Yeah, it's usually something you've touched in the "fix" process. I don't recommend revving your car like that when troubleshooting. Something about being unloaded and engines not liking to be "free" revved. Sounded higher than 1.5, something like 3K+. Road test not repeated free revving.

Could be old-school V8's not our cars but somewhere I picked up to not spike those pups in neutral. If a pulley or fan goes grenade, I wouldn't want my face near the blast zone!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
justin654

That's what happens when you let a women get in the car after being repeatedly told to barely touch the gas. LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Take the alt belt off and see if the noise is gone. If so go looking at all of those items it attaches too. Could be a bad alt or any of the pulleys. How long after the alt install did this happen? You can use a stethoscope to find it too. Have somebody rev it and go looking.

Last edited by bmwbob89; 02-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin654 View Post
That's what happens when you let a women get in the car after being repeatedly told to barely touch the gas. LOL
That's funny!

Might of gone something like: "Okay, now just press the gas pedal a little and bring the tach up to 1500".... WAAAAAAAAA !!

"How 'bout just a light touch this time"... WAAAAAAAA!!

Doh!