E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Eniaro

My Ride: 325i
Annoying problem

Whenever I try to start my car temp gage hits red and sits there from 30 seconds to 7 minutes, cold start or warm. Any idea what's causing this.

Key fob doesn't work when buttons are pressed. I'm not sure if it may be the cause. (I locked the doors manually once and all the Windows rolled down)Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361236455464.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	491285

Stealership says the dme box needs to be changed

(E46 325i 2003 manual 5s)

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361236433294.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	491284  
Eniaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Prock35

My Ride: 04 330ci convertible
Thermostat could be shut n then open to normal. Had it happen to me in a Honda accord.
Prock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Have the car scanned for codes using a BMW diagnostic tool. If you have to replace anything it will probably have to the best thermostat.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Eniaro

Oh and most important... Car won't start until it goes down and all those other pretty lights stay on. Even after the car finally let me start it.

Had a read out only thing I got was ****airflow low

Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Eniaro

Exclamation Bump

Before I get burned, I'm a noob I know little about cars but I can fix with instructions

Bought a scanner of eBay but I need help could someone translate, and point me to the possible bad parts.

Quote:
# ERRORS IN UNITS
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unit BMWTNR HW SW-FSW ERRORS / SHADOW-MEMORY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> 7.519.308 19 50 1 error / 6 errors
EWS -> 6.905.670 03 08 no errors
ABS* -> 6.759.045 03 0.0.89 5 errors
LEW -> 6.760.232 04 04 1 error
A/C -> 6.931.602 34 13 no errors
SRS -> 6.912.755 10 32 no errors / 5 errors
IKE -> 6.931.251 22 32 4 errors
LCM -> 6.923.491 16 31 no errors / no errors
ZKE -> 6.924.250 10 30 2 errors / no errors
MFL -> 0.000.000 01 10 no data
RAD -> 6.921.963 45 50 no errors

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
DME -> 08/F2 - Air mass flow sensor signal, short circuit to negative or open circuit
Shadow-memory:
08/F2 - Air mass flow sensor signal, short circuit to negative or open circuit
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit
53/14 - Crankshaft sensor, no signal

ABS* -> 5E38/A0 - Yaw rate sensor electrical faulty.
5DF4/20 - Vehicle power < 9 Volt.
5D97/A0 - Sensor cluster Supply voltage out of range.
5DF7/A0 - Vehicle power > 18 Volt.
5E14/A0 - CAN Timeout DME/DDE

LEW -> 09/9D - No CAN message (ASC)

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
06/40 - Side airbag, front right door, resistance too high
70/20 - Seat occupancy detector, break of seat mat
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage
02/08 - Driver's belt tensioner, short circuit to negative
05/40 - Side airbag, front left door, resistance too high

IKE -> 11/64 - Thermal oil-level sensor
F4/88 - No CAN message
F5/88 - No CAN message (ASC1)
F7/88 - No CAN message (DME2)

ZKE -> 07/21 - Anti-theft alarm system: Siren, Radio interior protection, Tilt alarm sensor or Wire STDWA Short circuit to ground or Open circuit (Car does not have alarm system -Pre-wired (yes)/removed by previous owner (IDK)
45/02 - Central locking system: Lock contact Driver's door (had the door open)

Last edited by Eniaro; 03-07-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniaro View Post
Oh and most important... Car won't start until it goes down and all those other pretty lights stay on. Even after the car finally let me start it.

Had a read out only thing I got was ****airflow low

Not sure what you mean about the 'won't start until it goes down.'

Of the codes you listed, one that stands out is the lack of signal from crank sensor. Check into that more.

Sounds like you have an airleak too, but that might be from a bad sensor.

Not saying your sensor has failed, though. Clear codes and see if it returns. Might have been a momentary glitch...stuff like that happens...but 'no signal' is a significant enough signal to look into more.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Stick with the stealerships recommendation. Sounds like the dme with all that going on at once.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
drlph25

My Ride: 05 zhp, 04 325i
I had the same problem about a month ago, my car would also stall out after about 30 seconds when it was cold outside...anyway I got the dme replaced and all has been well since then
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
DME -> 08/F2 - Air mass flow sensor signal, short circuit to negative or open circuit
Shadow-memory:
08/F2 - Air mass flow sensor signal, short circuit to negative or open circuit
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit
53/14 - Crankshaft sensor, no signal

Out of these codes, You should only be concerned with Crankshaft sensor. Change it.
For Mass Airflow Sensor, clean it with MAF cleaner and clean the electrical connection as well. Do you have aftermarket air filter? This might throw the sensor off balance.

Exhaust temperature codes are engineering codes, and will always remain. Do not worry about it.
Solenoid valve code is for VANOS exhaust solenoid. It will not make your car "NOT START". Do not worry about that too.

I would bleed the coolant first, check Mango's thread on cooling system. I suspect air pocket and thermostat issue.

Clean the crankshaft sensor and connection with MAF cleaner as well and try starting the car.

I am pretty sure you have a BMW scanner 1.4, there is a way to reset DME adaptations. I think I posted the screenshots in Kmoy2002's BMW scanner thread. Do that first.

PS: DME shouldnt be the issue for your key fob. First rectify the mechanical issues in your car. You can test the keyfob battery in any auto parts store. And if the battery is good check if the key is initialized to the car with BMW scanner. If not code the car to accept it and then sync the key with the car. You can search for the steps, there plenty of threads on it.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Eniaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Crankshaft sensor. Change it.
Tried changing it cant get to it
Quote:
For Mass Airflow Sensor, clean it with MAF cleaner and clean the electrical connection as well. This might throw the sensor off balance.
Cleaned it = No change I'm assuming I have to change it
Quote:
Do you have aftermarket air filter?
The car is completely stock
Quote:
Exhaust temperature codes are engineering codes, and will always remain. Do not worry about it.
Car smokes not severely but idle for too long its noticeable however switching to Shell gas seems to decrees it over a time
Quote:
Solenoid valve code is for VANOS exhaust solenoid. It will not make your car "NOT START". Do not worry about that too.
?

Quote:
I would bleed the coolant first, check Mango's thread on cooling system. I suspect air pocket and thermostat issue.
Trying to get time to do it.

Quote:
I am pretty sure you have a BMW scanner 1.4, there is a way to reset DME adaptations. I think I posted the screenshots in Kmoy2002's BMW scanner thread. Do that first.
I do, I and I did The crank sensor error went away, in fact most went away
Quote:
PS: DME shouldnt be the issue for your key fob. First rectify the mechanical issues in your car. You can test the keyfob battery in any auto parts store. And if the battery is good check if the key is initialized to the car with BMW scanner. If not code the car to accept it and then sync the key with the car. You can search for the steps, there plenty of threads on it.
Key was dead -Replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax
Sounds like you have an airleak too, but that might be from a bad sensor.
Had hole in the Air intake boot, I replaced it.

UPDATE: Car left me stranded wont start, same temp no start. While waiting on a I friend I noticed a rapid ticking/clicking noise coming from the DME/Fuse/Relay Enclosure. Fast forward friend arrives we open the box found what appears to be a relay with #61.36-6 915 327 making the noise gonna run to the stealership get it and replace it I'm hoping this is my only problem.

Last edited by Eniaro; 04-09-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
Eniaro, if car won't start and you do have error code for crank sensor (thought you might cleared it now), I would change it if I were you. CPS is relatively inexpensive and easy to change (accept for the Sonata that I help a friend with last week - it is a PITA). You don't want to get stuck somewhere and a toweling bill. Now, for the the temp gauge pegged all the way to red zone when you first starting the car - quick and inexpensive way is to double check to make sure your pos and neg post on your battery seated properly. Why not do a CPU reset! It happened to me on my 740iL before. If the temp gauge fluctuate (middle to red) then I would say you need to bleed your cooling system properly (as dmax an trj mentioned before) and if it stay in RED zone all the time (please do not drive the car until it fix) then I would change T-stat. Hope this will help
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
I doubt the DME is actually bad. One cheap thing you can do is clean all the electrical connectors and properly re-apply the white grease (where appropriate) to prevent future corrosion

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
It's probably be the DME/main relay.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
No, the crankshaft error is in shadow memory, which is just a way of tracking the history of the car.. Your no start symptom along with the electrical glitches makes me believe that your ignition switch is at fault. Very common and a number of members have reported similar issues that have gone after replacement. The CANBUS errors can also be caused by that. I had the same errors when my ignition switch started acting weird.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Yeah dme rarely if ever go bad. You'd have to pour water over it. That can timeout dme error can occur if you're not able to start your car. I've had it happen due to many other issues related to no starting. I'd unplug the maf sensor and try running your car.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Eniaro

Change the relay Car still wont start Guess I gotta getit towed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppham View Post
Eniaro, if car won't start and you do have error code for crank sensor (thought you might cleared it now), I would change it if I were you. CPS is relatively inexpensive and easy to change (accept for the Sonata that I help a friend with last week - it is a PITA). You don't want to get stuck somewhere and a toweling bill. Now, for the the temp gauge pegged all the way to red zone when you first starting the car - quick and inexpensive way is to double check to make sure your pos and neg post on your battery seated properly. Why not do a CPU reset! It happened to me on my 740iL before. If the temp gauge fluctuate (middle to red) then I would say you need to bleed your cooling system properly (as dmax an trj mentioned before) and if it stay in RED zone all the time (please do not drive the car until it fix) then I would change T-stat. Hope this will help
I tried changing the crank sensor three times I couldn't get to it.
Temp gage doesn't fluctuate just stays in the redzone until its ready to allow me to start it, the EML light flashes for a brief second just before the temp Gage goes down
Both cables a firmly seated checked too many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemaurice View Post
I doubt the DME is actually bad. One cheap thing you can do is clean all the electrical connectors and properly re-apply the white grease (where appropriate) to prevent future corrosion
No corrosion/dirt/water etc anywhere inside the enclosure its pretty clean actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
No, the crankshaft error is in shadow memory, which is just a way of tracking the history of the car.. Your no start symptom along with the electrical glitches makes me believe that your ignition switch is at fault. Very common and a number of members have reported similar issues that have gone after replacement. The CANBUS errors can also be caused by that. I had the same errors when my ignition switch started acting weird.
The stealership changed the ignition switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Yeah dme rarely if ever go bad. You'd have to pour water over it. That can timeout dme error can occur if you're not able to start your car. I've had it happen due to many other issues related to no starting. I'd unplug the maf sensor and try running your car.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Id have till later to try that.

Changed the relay -> same $#!+ ticking/clicking no start. sound like a wound up toy that ticks/clicks as it moves
Can a dying/bad battery cause this?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
For some reason, I feel like this will end up being a battery issue..... How old is your battery? I've heard that, when they start to fail, they cause strange electrical problems.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
mxchris727

My Ride: E46, E39, E90, 911..
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
This is a DME issue. The temperature gauge going to the red immediately means that the DME is in programming/safe mode. Your EEPROM is most likely corrupted and you will need to get the DME replaced.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
Eniaro, right now the car will crank but won't start, right? Or it is not cranking at all?
I am no mechanic here, but if ur car crank and won't start, then I would go back to the basic if you have fuel and sparks. If you do then I would bet on the crank sensor. If is not crank then you might have another issues with the immobilizer system (you can verify by using another key).
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
Eniaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
For some reason, I feel like this will end up being a battery issue..... How old is your battery? I've heard that, when they start to fail, they cause strange electrical problems.
I'm honestly not sure I'd have to go back and check. I'd buy a new one but I have no cash its either tow or battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
This is a DME issue. The temperature gauge going to the red immediately means that the DME is in programming/safe mode. Your EEPROM is most likely corrupted and you will need to get the DME replaced.
Would that cause the relay to tick like a machine gun? Place I bought the car from has been giving me a run around. They tried reprogramming a used one didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppham View Post
Eniaro, right now the car will crank but won't start, right? Or it is not cranking at all?
I am no mechanic here, but if ur car crank and won't start, then I would go back to the basic if you have fuel and sparks. If you do then I would bet on the crank sensor. If is not crank then you might have another issues with the immobilizer system (you can verify by using another key).
Crank no Start.
Temp gage drops and the EML light flashes it used to start

Last edited by Eniaro; 04-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.