E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
Forgot to ask you about using PAsoft. Did you run EWS-DME adaptation function in DME?
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Eniaro

My Ride: 325i
Haven't tried it since but will when I go back there in an an hour or so
Eniaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
pppham

Well, I don't think you have anything to loose. I would suggest going to IKE the Recalculate EEpromt Check sum and then go to DME to run EWS-DME adaptation. Please keep us posted. Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
pppham

Hi Eniaro, based on your post #22, you seem to know PAsoft very well. I am currently have some issues with this software. May be you can help. Thanks,
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
Eniaro

Wouldn't say I know it very well but based on what I've been reading on the forum I've learned how to find my way around
IT is what I do for a living I might be able to help
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
t3kn0

My Ride: 03 325xi
possible short

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Not sure what you mean about the 'won't start until it goes down.'

Of the codes you listed, one that stands out is the lack of signal from crank sensor. Check into that more.

Sounds like you have an airleak too, but that might be from a bad sensor.

Not saying your sensor has failed, though. Clear codes and see if it returns. Might have been a momentary glitch...stuff like that happens...but 'no signal' is a significant enough signal to look into more.
you probably have a short somewhere.The car won't start if the gauge is on red(as a safety measure)
t3kn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #27
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Can you just swap in a DME from another car?
If this was caused by a thermostat, most likely there would be a code for just that.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
Eniaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kn0 View Post
you probably have a short somewhere.The car won't start if the gauge is on red(as a safety measure)
You make seem simple I'm a noob everything seems like a brick wall lined barbed wires on top to me
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
Eniaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Can you just swap in a DME from another car?
If this was caused by a thermostat, most likely there would be a code for just that.
Don't think that will work, based on what Ive learnt so far the EWS will basically tell you to off. I thought about it too.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #30
t3kn0

My Ride: 03 325xi
It's definitely not simple...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniaro View Post
You make seem simple I'm a noob everything seems like a brick wall lined barbed wires on top to me
The reason I'm suggesting a short is because I've been in a situation when some of my gauges were going crazy, my airbag light was on and off randomly and the temp gauge would jump to red and back....plus I saw all those codes u posted suggesting the same thing....I found a short in the harness inside steering column.It was drawing power from other components so was giving me a few codes.After I fixed that everything came back to normal.I was lucky because I could notice that visually after I removed the steering column cover,beneath the steering wheel...
I am not saying u're in the same situation since I don't have enough information on what is going on exactly with your car.what I would do in this situation I would pay for a diagnostic at a good shop or even dealership( just diagnostic-1hr labor).
The other probable cause IS what everybody else suggested...your DME gone bad.Car not starting is just a safety measure ....whenever the gauge is on red, coolant hot or not, your car won't start...
t3kn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #31
pppham

Hello Eniaro, Did you perform Recalculate EEpromt Check sum and then go to DME to run EWS-DME adaptation. Any good news to share with us?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Everybody need to stop blaming the mother freaking dme! It's not the issue! If the dme was bad, it would not even crank at all. the reason I know this is I bricked my ecu during a euro tune flash. I know what happens when your dme is in lala land. I of course reflashed it and got it out of lala land.

So you said you did check those fuses that's located by the dme underneath the hood correct? If your car ran before all this happened i assure you, it's not the dme. All those timeout errors and stuff or ews error can happen if your car cranks and fails to start. Do you hear your fuel pump coming on? Remember that, at least in my car, there's 2 noises it makes when turning to position 2. One is the fuel pump priming but it then goes silent. Another is a constant buzzing noise from. Under the hood. Listen for fuel pump in the back
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 11:09 AM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Also, when I began my experiment coding the transponder by writing to the ews, after successfully doing so, the next morning my car wouldn't start. I then got error codes indicating ews mismatch. I was chasing after that to no avail. After sitting there frustrated, i noticed that I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming when getting ready to start it. You can test this easily by shooting starter fluid into intake and trying to start it
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 11:15 AM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
Eniaro

Re: Annoying problem

Ok so I've been ignoring and being patient with this issue for a while now.

It has gotten better and I no longer have to wait 5 to 15 minutes.

I've learned if I take the relay slightly out towards the left, that clicking will stop and I can hear something that sounds like a unlocking sound fuel pump priming and a humming sound, the temp gage will go where it should be and the car is ready to drive.

I have changed the relay but the new one does the same thing.

At one point I took apart the dme used a air compressor blew off as if I was dusting it and for 3 weeks either it would start immediately or hesitate for 10 second.

It seems to be a short but I have no idea where to start.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app