E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
schow36
Resident Communist

My Ride: 2003 TiAG 325i
Send a message via AIM to schow36
Clean setups...

Show them to me...I've seen a bunch of crazy trunk setups, but I wanna see some practical trunk setups where I can continue using my trunk as storage space and I wanna be able to keep my spare available. I'm gonna try to fit 2 12s in my trunk, I've seen plenty practical setups with one sub, but I'm putting two in...so if you could post something along those lines...show 'em to me, I've yet to find a perfect match...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
SilverGrey330
BMW: Best Thing on 4 Wheels

My Ride: 03SilverGrey330i SP
Send a message via AIM to SilverGrey330
i am doing 1 12" solobaric l7 next week wiht a totaly usable trunk, still gunna have space and spare accesees, willl post it when iam done somewhere if ti helps at all, even thought i know you are doing 2 12's. Just so you knwo if it is going to be a permanitne mount box i doubt you will have enouhg air volume to do 2 12's whiel still haveing spare tire access
Old 07-10-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
here ya go. brax volvo with helix subs firing at eachother from each side of the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eurobraxvolvo2.gif
Views:	678
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	60270  

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
one more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alfa-croatien.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	60271  

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:20 AM   #5
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=22573

My setup. She's not much to look at, but she gets the job done. Two 10s in a fiberglass box molded to the side of the trunk w/ an MDF front, battery inside the spare tire, and amps on a folding plexi rack. I keep my spare and have the option of pimp or non-pimp amp showing depending my needs for trunk space. I also retain the use of my folding seats as a trunk extension. IMHO, the best stock-looking, space saving trunk setup ever.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
Temonio

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
djabaley, I really like your set-up. I'm loking for a neat, simple box myself. Right now I have a standard Q-Logic box for my 12's and I agree that 1-higher end 12 will give me better sound if the box is done right and I'll still be able to use my trunk...which is pretty important with a little fanatic on the way.

Everyone on the board with simple set-up's please post your picks
Old 07-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

My Ride: Breyton 3
Send a message via AIM to fuschnicken Send a message via MSN to fuschnicken
Here's mine:

I was going for the 'clean' look, without sacrificing all my trunk space. I can still access the spare wheel well (I only put the Breyton spare for shows). Wish I could still fit golf clubs though
Old 07-10-2003, 11:02 AM   #8
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
i just have a 1 10" setup in my car but you can't tell from the trunk!

designed a box for 2 10x7's (require more airspace than 2 12's) that allows use of the trunk and spare tire, just haven't built it yet.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
djabaley

Hoooray for clean set-ups. Let's get some more pics. I hate the all that fiberglass sh!t with four thousand TV screens. Been my experience that those cars always sound like poo.

Anyway...
Old 07-10-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
Ron@Streeteffectz

Quote:
Originally posted by djabaley
Hoooray for clean set-ups. Let's get some more pics. I hate the all that fiberglass sh!t with four thousand TV screens. Been my experience that those cars always sound like poo.

Anyway...
OOO, I BEG to differ......

But anyway....a little old school but here ya' go:

Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:03 PM   #11
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Quote:

Anyway...
Puff puff give... someones obviously been visiting the wrong shops!!
Old 07-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #12
MyPY

My Ride: E46 M3 Cab -PY/Kiwi
Cool

Damn...those first two shots look familiar....

Simply Excellent - thats all I can say for SE!!
MyPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:04 PM   #13
djabaley

OMG u streeteffectz guys get to me. Back when I was a young child my dad and I went to a car audio comp., and I sat with the president of PPI in their glassed show car. I didn't know much about car stereo at the time, but he told me that the showcars with huge, complicated glass designs are very poor for SQL. Most people could really give a crap about SQL when it comes to whatever they have going on their trunks, but it has been my experience that the gentleman from PPI was correct. I'm sure your magic hands have produced fantastical works of fiberglass SQL trunks, but I haven't seen one. so there

edit: rather I haven't heard one
Old 07-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
Craig

Quote:
OMG u streeteffectz guys get to me. Back when I was a young child my dad and I went to a car audio comp., and I sat with the president of PPI in their glassed show car. I didn't know much about car stereo at the time, but he told me that the showcars with huge, complicated glass designs are very poor for SQL. Most people could really give a crap about SQL when it comes to whatever they have going on their trunks, but it has been my experience that the gentleman from PPI was correct. I'm sure your magic hands have produced fantastical works of fiberglass SQL trunks, but I haven't seen one. so there

edit: rather I haven't heard one
Do you mean SPL??? or are you talking about SQ??? PPI man doesn't seem to have educated you very well...lol. Take a ride up to NJ if you'd like to here SQ in a Crazy fiberglassed trunk!!! Everything is built to spec it has absolutely nothing to do with the glasswork. By the way if you can't venture up to NJ we'll be in Atlanta for NOPI in late September!!
Old 07-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #15
djabaley

Pardon my typo. My outrage of seeing my opinion openly laughed at must have made that L slip in there.

Anyway, I'm in south fl. now, and atlanta is a little far away. Thanks for the offer, and I'll take ur word for it.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:17 PM   #16
Temonio

all due respect, show36 said "practical trunk set-ups." I really likesome of the elaborate ones, but I'd like to some that I can afford and still have money to eat with. As for the fiberglass debate, I've heard some banging fiber-work! It's just too pricey for me.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #17
Craig

Quote:
Pardon my typo. My outrage of seeing my opinion openly laughed at must have made that L slip in there.

Anyway, I'm in south fl. now, and atlanta is a little far away. Thanks for the offer, and I'll take ur word for it.
Lol nah man no ones openly laughing at you, simply correcting you on a point of view thats obviously limited. Didn't intend to offend you in anyway. Bottomline is if you find a shop who takes pride in their work it doesn't matter what type set up you go with it's gonna sound good.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:23 PM   #18
Craig

Quote:
Originally posted by Temonio
all due respect, show36 said "practical trunk set-ups." I really likesome of the elaborate ones, but I'd like to some that I can afford and still have money to eat with. As for the fiberglass debate, I've heard some banging fiber-work! It's just too pricey for me.
I agree 100% thats why Ron posted up some basic installs that we had done.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:39 PM   #19
djabaley

Help has arrived:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=20337
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=33712
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=67100
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=58947
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=55891

Browse these threads to get ideas. There's some more complicated stuff in there, but you'll get some space-saving ideas too. Quite frankly, retention of trunk utility is usually not a major concern with most people during the design phase. By maintaining a majority of trunk space you will have to make some compromises. My box isn't deep enough to support the basket of most subs: weekness. Having my extra battery in the spare tire puts a lot of weight toward the back of the car: weakness. My amp rack sits fairly close to the face of my rear sub when folded down; as such, I have to avoid long-excursion subs. You get the idea. However, careful design based on components you like and will be happy with for the forseeable future will enable you and a creative installer to come up with ideas that will retain trunk space. Creative use of sidewall space and height will keep the majority of the trunk free. Moreover, retention of trunk utility, in my experience, really centers around depth. The goal of my install was to maintain the spare, be able to entend trunk depth by keeping the path to the folding seats open, and by retaining maximum trunk dimensions. Really you have to decide what you want to get out of your trunk. Huge subs? Another battery? The spare? Ported or sealed enclosure? Making a limited-space installation work depends on the successful integration of specific components within specified design limits centered around goals for trunk utility.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #20
Temonio

hey Craig, can you PM me on a ballpark figure to get a set-up similar to fuschniken's. Not the see-through spare though (looks nice, but I'm not that proud of my stock spare. Also it'll be with a fosgate HX2 12.

By the way Fush....How had does that one twelve sound?