E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New touring owner.....

957 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rg1bmw 
#1 · (Edited)
Although definitely not my first rodeo with BMW's this is my first and newest that i've owned!! My last was somewhat of a unicorn, a white on black e36 m3 coupe lux pack automatic. While some say the auto is horrible, i disagree. Commuting 120 miles a day is much easier and honestly the car went fast enough when i needed it to. Anyways, the touring bug bit and I started my search. A e34 was to old, and ive already owned 3 of them (2 95 525s and a 89 535). a e39 is just to big and i dont really like the styling that much. E90 chassis cars are to much money still. So research on the e46 commenced.

I started a few weeks ago unknown to me how rare these cars are. Either total turds or overpriced low mileage seldom driven garage queens. I had to find something in the middle, and it needed to be specced out proper. My ideal was a white on black 5spd non 323 sport pack with heated seats. Everything i found had tan or dove interior with comfort seats. This was becoming harder than i thought it was going to be.

Then i found this:

Not the ideal color, no heated seats but *eye rub* maintenance by Dinan?!?! Email was sent promptly. A reply showed the next day. And long story short i flew down sunday morning to the 'bay area and was back in portland that night (not a record but 9 hours was pretty good!).

Initial impressions. I filled the tank in mt. view Ca, I was down to a quarter tank in Weed Ca. Topped it off again and made it all the way back to Vancouver (WA) and the reserve light came on, stellar mpg's!!! Everthing is pretty tight but i see some room for improvement.

The first pic taken:

Goal. I do a LOT of "while im in there" maintenance. But i do have records for a lot of the common stuff being done within the last 30K i.e. ps lines, VC gasket etc.

But as far as upgrades go front CA's, upper mounts and sway links, rear upper mounts (Rogue for sure) and diff fluid is a given. Probably upgrade to 330 calipers and rotors? steel lines, brake fluid flush to ATE gold. Hawk pads.

Ive been a brand name snob for suspension forever, but im starting to think economic wise i might "settle" for some of the lesser known names this time. Specifically in the coilover department. Ive read the reviews on the Street Edge products and they sound like a good product for the money. Generally Id be looking at H&R but $1200...i know you get what you pay for but eeessh. Im curious how this car would react with bigger sway's? Is there a bigger oem bar that i can bolt up?

Probably refinish the wheels and maybe go black on them. Might look into the Dynavin radio with the factory HK system. Top if off with some tint and call it good.

Something along the lines of this (anyone know what lip that is?) :

anyways. ive been active on and off on bimmerforums and r3vlimited and thought since i now own this platform car that i should get with the program and get on here as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats! Can't wait to see what you do with it! I love the slammed touring look. You can buy cheaper coils I put some street edge brand in mine. they have been fine so far, but most on here will tell you not to go cheap haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.