E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Lisa@Fanatics

Leap, land, lap up the plaudits: MINI shows us how it’s done with a perfect backflip

A MINI can do more. It can win the Dakar Rally twice in a row. It can conquer more than 100 markets worldwide. But what about defying the laws of gravity and showing snowboarders how to nail the perfect backflip? Extreme sportsman, freestyle skier and rally driver Guerlain Chicherit rocked up at the winter sports resort of Tignes in his native France to prove it can do that as well. Chicherit pulled off the first such manoeuvre ever performed in a car using a static ramp, the driver and his MINI coming back down to earth – or, more specifically, a bed of fresh powder snow – unscathed after a perfectly executed backflip on a special prepared track. The jump can be seen in full on the MINI YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/mini.

The successful airbound stunt crowns an already impressive career in extreme sports for Chicherit. The 34-year-old is equally in his element on snow as he is behind the wheel of a rally car. Four times a freestyle skiing world champion, he has also won the French rally championship on two occasions. The Frenchman is also a veteran of the X-raid Team (which wrapped up back-to-back Dakar Rally titles in January 2013 with the MINI ALL4 Racing), having made his debut for the German outfit back in 2006. In 2011 Chicherit was in the driver’s seat as the MINI ALL4 Racing turned its first wheels in South America for the world’s toughest rally.

The MINI Backflip show event in Tignes gave Chicherit the chance to bring together every facet of his passion for extreme sports. Tignes is one of France’s best-known winter sports locations and provided the venue for the freestyle skiing competitions in the 1992 Winter Olympic Games.

The backflip had previously been attempted by other drivers. But Chicherit has now become not only the first automotively-propelled artist to execute a perfect landing, he also did it “unassisted” – in other words, without the aid of a special ramp with moving elements to boost the car’s rotational movement. For his take-off, Chicherit used a static ramp that fits the same template as a quarterpipe on a freestyle course. With the ideal ramp breakover angle in place, Chicherit needed only two other things to record a successful attempt: an extremely light touch with the accelerator and a MINI with a suitably buoyant spring in its step.
Lisa@Fanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Was badass

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
tks
Modded

My Ride: slower than yours
that was really cool!
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
m5killa

My Ride: Sperry's
Unbelievable, makes me want a mini with trophy truck suspension...

http://www.westcoastspecialties.net/ <---- Best Body Shop in Sd
m5killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Who the hell is Lisa?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
IdahoToyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Who the hell is Lisa?
I think we tried to solve this before but to no avail

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Can't wait until some redneck tries this with a regular mini and it explodes on landing

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

My Ride: FBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Can't wait until some redneck tries this with a regular mini and it explodes on landing
RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
IdahoToyo

Quote:
These two would never go together.

I could see this as a possibility though:

Quote:
Can't wait until some adventure seeking yuppie tries this with a regular mini and it explodes on landing