E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #41
Fergo

My Ride: S52 E30(dead)08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
mmmmmmmm, not true
Never owned a black car before was going off assumption

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Bimmer App

Gasprince loves teh peen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
v10 was awesome new m5 is just fast dosent have a soul just 2 easy to make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #42
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
not trying to nit pick, but considering the color of your car, and the fact that those pics were taken in the shade, you probably wouldn't be able to see any visible surface scratches with your eye, let alone a camera.

i personally don't see how it is possible that any car wash won't inevitably scratch your car. if the brushes/pads/whatever are dirty, they will scratch your paint. maybe it will scratch it less than the pads/bristles made out of death that are 30 years old, but if those aren't properly washed/rinsed, you will get scratches
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
They offer unlimited washes for $33/mo?! Wish they would open one up in the Bay.

Nice detail, OP.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #44
pancakes

My Ride: car, truck, & bike
hand job wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I don't support inertacial dating either, I'd tell you right to your face.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #45
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
I know that your story is a lie, because no car is swirl or flaw free after five years.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #46
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
I hand wash mines with a genuine BMW sheep mitt, nothing else is as gentle and effective at washing it. During the colder months l take it to those self serve car-washes where you put quarters in and wash it yourself. I took it once to those machine washes and they scuffed my wheel, NEVER AGAIN!!

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #47
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
You drive a white car, your opinion doesn't count. Stop trying to put hard working detailers like myself out of work.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #48
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos View Post
I hand wash mines with a genuine BMW sheep mitt, nothing else is as gentle and effective at washing it. During the colder months l take it to those self serve car-washes where you put quarters in and wash it yourself. I took it once to those machine washes and they scuffed my wheel, NEVER AGAIN!!
That's a very expensive and also a very nice wash mitt. I approve.

Last edited by Grande D; 02-21-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #49
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Vega View Post
You drive a white car, your opinion doesn't count. Stop trying to put hard working detailers like myself out of work.
I stopped caring as much since my cars are white and silver
If I drove something dark, I'd care more because I could see it more often.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT

this is after 10 times through that wash. looked under a detail lamp, no swirls.
officially sold. funny how everyone speculates and talks but i am the only one who has posted an actual photo. 90% of people are coming being like OMG you are RUINING your car. i am sitting here like, umm i have a paint thickness guage and eyes. and the car is flawless. and i have photos of it lol. Handwashing takes SOOOOOO much time. trust me as OCD as they get but even i began noticing the 6 hours per week to keep the car at roughly the same level, if not less because within 2 days your work is gone.

Went yesterday and the worker let me walk through the tunnel, let me feel all the brushes, see how everything works. the equipment cost 1.2M in the tunnel. now i see why it is that good. every spray area is super thought out, and the foam it is this odd hydrophyllic type foam, and then the ones from the top are like a very soft microfiber. the ones on the side are .. not sure if you have ever gottten those bmw valve stem caps that come in a circular foam holder in the packaging, very similar to that foamy material. they are directly sprayed with water every time so nothing ever accumulates on them, and they wash them nightly. by that point in the tunnel your car is also covered with a very thick foam. and at the beginning of the wash an attendant sprays your car down with soap as well. cars go through this thing all day and it really is true none of the brushes had any dirt on them. i think for me at least, this place makes handwashing pretty close to a waste of time. granted 95% of machine places probably don't meet this standard. I had a black car before this as well. as said my friend takes his black merc. here, no problems. under a detail lamp.

anyway definitely not backing ALL machine washes; obviously a HUGE variance there, just saying they are out there. i will take a 2min wash of this quality any day. amazing.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 02-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
Grande D

Wow. You posted pictures of a white car (very forgiving) in the shade! Hands down you have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there are no swirls.

I actually don't have a real bone to pick with you over the use of a car wash, but you seem to be exaggerating. And then your proof is kind of a joke by detailing standards.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
golf_234

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361478469.795597.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	491767   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361478505.137636.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	491768   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361478582.561707.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	491769  

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #53
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Wow. You posted pictures of a white car (very forgiving) in the shade! Hands down you have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there are no swirls.

I actually don't have a real bone to pick with you over the use of a car wash, but you seem to be exaggerating. And then your proof is kind of a joke by detailing standards.

not denying that the pictures don't really portray it, pretty hard to show that until i get under the detail lamp but i have an indoor carwash at the house and have seen it first hand i mean, just saying what i see. if i were swirling up my car that would be my own problem, not anyone else's haha. Had two jet black e46s before this, so i know how that goes not some new thing. don't have to believe me of course. criticism on photos is warranted i concede. just saying super impressed. would bet you $10k we could look at panels of your car, blue, black, whatever, run it through this 20x, and have no problem. only reason i made the thread is because i was probably more skeptical/ocd about it than even anyone here. as shown on the first page, internals are pretty close to that.

Last edited by golf_234; 02-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #54
SLVR JDM

ok - now we're getting a bit ridiculous. I'm sure it is great for a machine wash, but to state that it will cause Zero scratches / swirls under a lamp after repeated use is taking it a bit far.
I know you claim to research and be an expert on everything, but c'mon man.
I'm out, this is silly.

** Removed **
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #55
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
ok - now we're getting a bit ridiculous. I'm sure it is great for a machine wash, but to state that it will cause Zero scratches / swirls under a lamp after repeated use is taking it a bit far.
I know you claim to research and be an expert on everything, but c'mon man.
I'm out, this is silly.

best pic i have, will get a larger pic with the nikon hosted later tonight under a detail lamp. nobody has to stay or do anything, obviously. only reason i posted in the first place is because i was starting to get taxed pretty hard on time spending 5+ hours per week detailing the car and just having it all gone with one rainstorm or small road event. so pretty happy about it obviously. if people want to come at my hand wash regimen i will gladly break down the quality level I keep on my cars:

-Water softener at the house
-Full spray down all panels, car in shade, ~75 degrees
-Macquiar's car wash concentrate with microfiber mitt (are people seriously using wool at this stage??) carry hose on trickle around with you in front of the soaped wash mitt as you go around panel by panel to provide a film and keep the wash eco friendly, very thick suds, panel by panel. there should be a VERY good film of soap and water in front of and under the mitt at all times. ALWAYS follow this order: Roof/sharkinfin, pillars/window trim, windows, flats/spoiler lip, doors/horizontals, skirts, bumpers, door sills, then wheels and wheel arches and accessible underbody portions with different rinsed mitts. No square inch of the car or door sills, trunk sills should be left unsudsed and rinsed.
-Full high pressure rinse, top to bottom, every crevice, every panel, softened water.
-Full dry, microfiber, continual wringing
-Damp polish, Detailed Image P21S
-Full clean/dry, still with partially damp microfiber
-Clay. quick detail always ahead of clay, film should be kept very thick. rinse clay frequently in fresh softened water, and knead every time after rinsing, replace water frequently.
-Fine polish, scratch X if anybody has leaned up against the car, misc swirls, etc.
-Sealant, every square mm of the car, Detailed Image
-Macquiar's, or Zymol wax
-Final detail, clean microfiber

Detail all plastic sections, polish plastics
Clay glass
Clay wheels
Interior detail, remove and install new OE floor mats
Final detail again
Buy more floor mats, preferably M
Buy anything else that needs replacing

Last edited by golf_234; 02-21-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #56
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
OP posts more grainy pictures of his car in the shade.

You need to take a pic with direct flash with a DSLR to really show the defects. I don't think there is such thing as washing the car without scratching it, hand wash or machine wash. You have more control with a hand wash and can do more rinsing in between. I agree that people overreact and obsess too much though. I still wouldn't go through one of these auto washing things.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
OP posts more grainy pictures of his car in the shade.

You need to take a pic with direct flash with a DSLR to really show the defects. I don't think there is such thing as washing the car without scratching it, hand wash or machine wash. You have more control with a hand wash and can do more rinsing in between. I agree that people overreact and obsess too much though. I still wouldn't go through one of these auto washing things.
did i not just say i would do that later tonight..

As stated before, this is my handwash regimen, i want to hear the regimen of all of the people who say they are good at handwashing, because if their standards arent this high in the first place i don't really care about their input.

-Water softener at the house
-Full spray down all panels, car in shade, ~75 degrees
-Macquiar's car wash concentrate with microfiber mitt (are people seriously using wool at this stage??) carry hose on trickle around with you in front of the soaped wash mitt as you go around panel by panel to provide a film and keep the wash eco friendly, very thick suds, panel by panel. there should be a VERY good film of soap and water in front of and under the mitt at all times. ALWAYS follow this order: Roof/sharkinfin, pillars/window trim, windows, flats/spoiler lip, doors/horizontals, skirts, bumpers, door sills, then wheels and wheel arches and accessible underbody portions with different rinsed mitts. No square inch of the car or door sills, trunk sills should be left unsudsed and rinsed.
-Full high pressure rinse, top to bottom, every crevice, every panel, softened water.
-Full dry, microfiber, continual wringing
-Damp polish, Detailed Image P21S
-Full clean/dry, still with partially damp microfiber
-Clay. quick detail always ahead of clay, film should be kept very thick. rinse clay frequently in fresh softened water, and knead every time after rinsing, replace water frequently.
-Fine polish, scratch X if anybody has leaned up against the car, misc swirls, etc.
-Sealant, every square mm of the car, Detailed Image
-Macquiar's, or Zymol wax
-Final detail, clean microfiber

Detail all plastic sections, polish plastics
Clay glass
Clay wheels
Interior detail, remove and install new OE floor mats
Final detail again
Buy more floor mats, preferably M
Buy anything else that needs replacing

Last edited by golf_234; 02-21-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #58
Grande D

You do that every week? That's unnecessary and nuts! Do use a halogen lamp and get us a photograph, I don't think a camera flash is gonna cut it. You probably will also have to use manual focus to get the camera to avoid focusing on a reflection instead of the paint.

Last edited by Grande D; 02-21-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #59
SLVR JDM

You by floor mats for your car every time you detail? Sheesh

I could poke a few holes in your approach, but I'm not going to since it looks good enough. To claim a wash of any sort will not induce swirls and scratches is showing how out of touch you are.

Ultimately it doesn't matter since we aren't talking about Concours cars here, just daily beaters. Running it through a carwash isn't going to kill it, but it isn't doing any favors either.

** Removed **
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #60
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
I use a fully quadruple-filtered RO water supply with MacGuyver's microfibre mitt.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote