E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Drones Large and Small Coming to US

http://news.yahoo.com/drones-large-s...010537668.html

Quote:
Most of the drones that have begun to appear in the skies above the U.S. homeland don't resemble the Predators or Reapers flown by the U.S. military and CIA above Afghanistan and Pakistan. Instead, these smaller versions of flying, unmanned vehicles almost rival the animal kingdom in their diversity.
Government agencies such as NASA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection operate aircraft-size military drones that take off from runways like airplanes. Labs in the United States have even built tiny drones that look like hummingbirds. But most drones resemble the radio-controlled aircraft and toy helicopters flown by hobbyists for decades, capable of taking off horizontally, vertically or by being thrown into the air like a trained falcon or hawk.
"To say they're all the same is not accurate at all, said Kevin Lauscher, an industrial sales representative for Draganfly Innovations Inc.
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration does not plan to permit drones armed with weapons in U.S. civilian airspace, according to an official quoted by the Washington Times. But state agencies, sheriff's offices and universities have already found more widespread use for drones that carry cameras for taking photos or video from above.

"If you look at the capabilities, there are small, quad helicopters and rotor helicopters that can be fitted with a camera and fit in the palm of your hand," Lauscher told TechNewsDaily. "They go all the way up [in size] to a Global Hawk, which is a relatively large military drone.

Draganfly Innovations builds small drones weighing less than 5 pounds that fly under the control of a human operator using two joysticks. The Canadian company has sold some drones to law enforcement for taking pictures or video of traffic accidents or crime scenes, as well as aiding SWAT teams preparing to storm a building or housing compound. [7 Next Generation UAVs]

But law enforcement represents a relatively small part of Draganfly's business. Many more clients use drones to cheaply inspect the exterior of huge factories, manufacturing facilities or construction sites. Drones could even help check on tall structures such as wind turbines, Lauscher said.

FAA drone license applications tracked by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit digital rights organization, suggest many other possible uses. Some U.S. states have begun considering drones for checking on highway traffic conditions, inspecting bridges and fighting wildfires. U.S. corporations, such as FedEx, have already begun planning for the day when drones could deliver packages.

Unlike free-flying birds, practically every unmanned aerial vehicle known as a drone flies under some form of human remote control. But university labs have already shown how pre-programmed drones can carry out intricate flight patterns, and military-grade drones have emergency backup routines in case they lose the signal connection to their human operators.
Bird watchers accustomed to spotting a gaggle of geese or a murder of crows may someday spot similar groupings of drones. Such drone swarms will likely use advanced forms of today's artificial intelligence programs to coordinate their missions without precise human control, a future with possibilities both delightful and daunting.
"Can drone technology be abused? Absolutely," Lauscher said. "Can they be beneficial and save lives? Absolutely."
Slippery slope.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post

Slippery slope.
Sorry, I don't see how this is a slippery slope. After major conflicts, military inventions have found civilian applications, and have even spawned innovation. Can drone use be abused? Probably no more than than a cop abusing his authority that we always read about. If it weren't for the negative publicity drones have received in the news, I doubt we wouldn't even think twice. Not surprising that controversy surrounds technological advancement. However, In this case, drones in the US won't be reigning down hellfire missiles.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-21-2013 at 06:12 AM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
It's cool, though, because it'll take a government official to sign your death warrant, not just the whims of the operator.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
But do they fly slow enough so I can shoot them down?

I thought it was a bird!
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Innovations biggest obstacle.... Tin foil hat community.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
AlexD330

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
But do they fly slow enough so I can shoot them down?

I thought it was a bird!

my first thought too! Who's going to be the first in trouble with the government because one of these RC nerds working for the govt. flew a drone over a good hunting spot and got shot down... haha!
April Dub Mix Out NOW!
AlexD330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
So drones over the US are a good thing?

Edit: nvm, I forgot if one life can be saved, it's worth it.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 02-21-2013 at 12:08 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post

More like lives can be taken. Security over freedom my friend. Freedom is slavery. Welcome to the police state. Quick you better arm up and head to the streets. That way the drones know who to hit first.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:

George Orwell's "1984"...

Big Brother wants to watch you
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

Big Brother wants to watch you
I really don't see it any different than a police officer cruising through a neighborhood on patrol, or a police helicopter flying around. The difference is a drone is flying over, providing aerial coverage that is unmanned.

Like I alluded to earlier, the term "drone" has a negative connotation when people conceptualize it in their minds. You can thank the media for that. There are plenty of useful Law Enforcement, Border Patrol, scientific, and civilian applications - non conspiracy related for drone use.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
NOVAbimmer

Eh, there's a pretty big difference. A police patrol in a neighborhood provides presence and potential deterrence. It also allows for a rapid response in the neighborhood.

A drone is surveillance only. Drones are also generally meant to not be readily apparent. So now we're looking at surreptitious surveillance.

I can understand some uses for this, like you said, in something like border patrol. But it in no way replaces a person on the ground.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
who needs drones when you have google maps cars?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
badfast

Quote:
Eh, there's a pretty big difference. A police patrol in a neighborhood provides presence and potential deterrence. It also allows for a rapid response in the neighborhood.

A drone is surveillance only. Drones are also generally meant to not be readily apparent. So now we're looking at surreptitious surveillance.

I can understand some uses for this, like you said, in something like border patrol. But it in no way replaces a person on the ground.
A hellfire can make a drone capable of rapid response.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
A hellfire can make a drone capable of rapid response.
Good luck using that in a neighborhood.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
badfast

Quote:
Good luck using that in a neighborhood.
How so? I think it would be effective.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
MDydinanM

Quote:

True, for US domestic purposes a drone would provide surveillance, but it can be argued that a Drone's presence can provide deterrence. You can probably use examples in OIF and OEF of unarmed Drones deterring enemy action as an analogy. Though the question is how would a US citizen, doing nefarious things, would act knowing it was an unarmed drone. I guess that would depend on response time from sighting to LE arrival. Good point on surreptitious surveillance, however it can compliment Law Enforcement presence by putting more eyes and dwell time on an area, or even crime ridden areas. Thus, they can vector in and guide LEO if something is observed.

Of course it will never replace a person on the ground, but I do see it as complementing and enhancing the abilities of the person on the ground.

I don't think the Drone is an end all be all, nor do I think it's a silver bullet solution for solving crime. I just see it as a technological enhancement to LE/CBP abilities, and even saving time and resources while expanding coverage area and dwell time.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-21-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
How so? I think it would be effective.
It would be effective at eliminating the threat. And their house. And doing serious damage to their neighbors houses. And most likely spread shrapnel all over the block.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
MDydinanM

Quote:
It's cool, though, because it'll take a government official to sign your death warrant, not just the whims of the operator.
How would that happen in the US if the Drones are unarmed?

I know what you're getting at, such as the case with Anwar Al-Alaki and recent news on the administration/DOJ providing Congress with a white paper on legal grounds to use drones against US citizens with a nexus to terrorism overseas. To be fair, I believe that is a slippery slope argument and I'm not entirely convinced. If that were to happen, I think a trial should occur, even if the accused is tried in absentia. This article talks about using drone technology for other applications other than going after Al Qaeda.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-21-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
badfast

Quote:
It would be effective at eliminating the threat. And their house. And doing serious damage to their neighbors houses. And most likely spread shrapnel all over the block.
What's the issue? Especially if dropped in areas deemed "less desirable"