E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
5-0 got me this morning

So, got pulled over this morning on my way to work (great way to start off the day). The usual license & registration exchange. He wouldn't look at me when he was talking for some reason, proceeded to tell me my window tint is too dark and I was "speeding". Took out his fancy little window tint device and checked the percentage. Around 13% which is "illegal" here in VA. Didn't even know they were 13% because I was given the car this way. I could care less about the window tint ticket, I think its $30 fine.

After he took 30+ min to do all his little police paperwork, he comes back to tell me I have another violation. He didn't actually tell me until I asked what the third one was. I recently moved from NY to VA, and only registered my car in VA and didn't get the VA license yet. Gave me a short story on how after 60 days you need VA license blah blah blah. I said fine, I'll get your fugly little VA license in a few days. Now, onto the "speeding" ticket.

I asked the officer politely if he had a radar receipt for him catching me going 70mph on I-66 (55mph zone). He said NO, I was "pacing" you..."Do you know what pacing means son??" I saw this cop following me from Fairfax Drive in Arlington all the way onto I-66. I merge onto to I-66, I am in the right lane. I see him about 3 cars back after he merged. I am cruising with traffic at this point. Comes flying up behind me and puts his lights on.

What are my chances in court the speeding ticket gets dropped if he has no radar receipt? He than went onto to tell me his speedometor has a receipt in it and he can only reveal that in court?

So in the end 3 tickets this morning
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Pay them and move on with your life. Be glad you weren't doing 76mph.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
jdny516

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Pay them and move on with your life. Be glad you weren't doing 76mph.
Why pay them? I know for sure I wasnt going 70. It was in morning traffic!

Those speeding tickets carry points on them no?
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Go to the city office and say you want an informal hearing

wait two to three months, go to hearing, tell your story, be VERY accurate and have notes

If the judge says you are guilty, leave the courthouse without a word, go down to the office and file for an appeal

wait two to three months, the prosecuter will call you in adn offer you a bargain. DO NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING, this is just a formality and a trap.

wait another two months for a "formal" hearing

prosecutor will call you in before the hearing and drop all charges, or the judge will in the courtroom.

Last edited by customisbetter; 02-21-2013 at 10:26 AM.
customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

How much is the ticket for the speeding?

Is ^^^ all that, worth $1XX of your time?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
Yes it's worth it.
tks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:
How much is the ticket for the speeding?

Is ^^^ all that, worth $1XX of your time?
I have a particular hatred for my town so yes.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
jdny516

Yeah I am not going to pay the state of VA more of my hard earned money because of subjective speeding ticket. He has practically no proof I was speeding because he didnt have a radar receipt and it's just his word if he shows up to the court date. Is it worth the $1xx of your time? Yes, because if you read the ticket it says "$6 per mph over" than a $51 processing fee than another $10 for state fee. I mean they are just trying to steal your money. ($90 for speeding + 51 for process + 10 for state) Why not just give me a ticket because my wheels were dirty too

I'll pay the window tint fine because I dont care. Whats the big deal if I have a different license? My car is still registered in VA. Say if I had a house in NY and VA how can they give me a ticket on that?
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Last edited by jdny516; 02-21-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
were you or were you not speeding, proof or not.

the entitled generation, always looking for a technicality.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
jdny516

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
were you or were you not speeding, proof or not.

the entitled generation, always looking for a technicality.
The entitled generation? Who are you?

Was I speeding? If following the flow of traffic (which was going 5-10mph) over than "yes" everyone was speeding. I am innocent until proven guilty.
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post

Was I speeding? If following the flow of traffic (which was going 5-10mph) over than "yes" everyone was speeding. I am innocent until proven guilty.
the old "it's only illegal if i get caught" defense.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

Lucky the tint ticket isn't 'fix it' ticket.

So VA state law says that you have 60 days to transfer your plates and DL to VA? And you only did the plates? Why are you complaining?

Have you paid your personal property tax on the vehicle too? Cuz that one is really a b!tch when they catch up to you ask me how I know.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
jdny516

Quote:
Lucky the tint ticket isn't 'fix it' ticket.

So VA state law says that you have 60 days to transfer your plates and DL to VA? And you only did the plates? Why are you complaining?

Have you paid your personal property tax on the vehicle too? Cuz that one is really a b!tch when they catch up to you ask me how I know.
He didnt say much about the tint ticket, was just trying to add **** on top of the other stuff. I asked when do I need the tints off, and he simply shrugged his shoulders.

I only did plates because at the time thats all the time I had. I didn't think the DL would be such as issue. Can anyone chime in if you have a 2nd home in another state and that's where you have your DL.

Yes I have paid my personal property tax on my vehicle for 2 years now, its actually not that bad. The second I step foot into VA, I received a letter in the mail saying I needed to get plates and registration.
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
You were speeding- pay the ticket, learn a lesson, and move on with your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post

Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
jdny516

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
You were speeding- pay the ticket, learn a lesson, and move on with your life.
How about no. I am not going to have points on my DL and my insurance to go up. I have rights to go to court and appeal. Because I did nothing wrong. (This is solely on the speeding) Window tint and DL is on me. He pulled me over out of a group of cars because I had window tints which adds money on top, the DL he just got lucky on.

If you want to just bend over and take it, be my guest.
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Last edited by jdny516; 02-21-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
He wont be using radar when pacing - his speedo is tested and verified on a regular basis. So you will not be provided any reciept.

Tint - it is a $30 fine plus $69 mandatory court costs - whether you go to court or not.

Same for the DL ticket - you have to pay the $69 PER ticket - not per stop.

As far as the Lansing guy is saying - there isnt an option for that in VA. You can access the ticket info online in about 5 days and you will see the amounts and the court date.

FURTHER - it isnt the court that creates and applies the points - it is the VA DMV.

Good luck fighting any of them - since you are DEAD GUILTY on two of the tickets. The best you can hope for - reduced fees and the court reducing the speed (you would likely pay the same fine - but be imposed less points).

You can find out if VA has reciprocity with VA - if they dont - then the points given in VA wont transfer to NY - but may be applied to your VA license once you get one.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
jdny516

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
He wont be using radar when pacing - his speedo is tested and verified on a regular basis. So you will not be provided any reciept.

Tint - it is a $30 fine plus $69 mandatory court costs - whether you go to court or not.

Same for the DL ticket - you have to pay the $69 PER ticket - not per stop.

As far as the Lansing guy is saying - there isnt an option for that in VA. You can access the ticket info online in about 5 days and you will see the amounts and the court date.

FURTHER - it isnt the court that creates and applies the points - it is the VA DMV.

Good luck fighting any of them - since you are DEAD GUILTY on two of the tickets. The best you can hope for - reduced fees and the court reducing the speed (you would likely pay the same fine - but be imposed less points).

You can find out if VA has reciprocity with VA - if they dont - then the points given in VA wont transfer to NY - but may be applied to your VA license once you get one.
Good information. I wasn't going to fight the Window tint or DL. If I can get it down to a fine and no points I am happy.
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Last edited by jdny516; 02-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
I got pulled over (also in VA) last week. The cop said the reason for the stop was he had noticed that I don't have a front lisence plate. After having me stopped he noticed that I also don't have an inspection sticker (state inspection) plus my window tint seemed too dark. I made up a story about how I ordered a lisence plate bracket from bmw so that I don't have to drill holes into my bumper to attatch a plate (lie), he said "ok, no problem" then asked to measure my tint.....it came to 33% which is illegal in VA. When asked why I had no inspection sticker, I acted like an idiot and said that I was from Nebraska (which is true) and that I had never heard of a state REQUIRING your vehicle to be inspected. He went on for about 20 min about how I go about doing this. All-in-all I got a ticket for no sticker and that was it, he said I could either get the car inspected and have charges dropped in court or just pay the fine and not have to do anything.....cops are people too, bullsh!t with them and talk nice to them like normal people and they will be nice to you. This guy could have easily written me up for tint, no plate, smoked tails, smoked front signals, and white turn signals all around, but no...he just told me to get my car inspected and that is all.

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
jdny516

Got lucky my friend. I was no where rude to this man. He comes to my Window with the device in hand and immediately puts the device on it to check the percentage.
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
VA changed tint to a primary reason for stop - it is a form of legal profiling - they found in many cases that people with tint likely have other issues...or potentially dangerous to others...BS and LOL