E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post
Its in Arlington County not Fairfax
-------
slowing down? you guys act like am I am a speed racer. I was driving behind multiple cars during morning commute. I call BS on anyone who says they go exactly 55 or exactly 35 all the time... I am only going to fight this for the points and insurance hike. I'll gladly pay the fines because like everyone else has said "you got caught"
-------

I still dont fully understand the VA DL thing. I have a house NY because I am originally from there, so I obviously have a NY DL. I have a house now in VA, my e46 is parked here year around so I got VA tags. Why do I need to have a VA DL?
With a NY license you can not get points from any other state, for any infraction.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #42
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
With a NY license you can not get points from any other state, for any infraction.
Interesting, where did you read that? I switched over to VA license now.
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #43
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
It happened to me so I looked it up on the NY DMV website to confirm it wasn't an error, sure enough it wasn't. I'm on my phone right now so I cant look for the link if I get on the PC I'll edit the my post with link
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #44
agillzz

My Ride: 325ci
Ok just read the original post. So I may be repeating if anyone else has said this. If you got it in Fairfax county, highly likely you can drop the charges fairly easily. One, get your speedo calibrated. Technically by law the cop is only allowed to follow you for a mile, if it was more than that then he is not allowed to ticket you, for anything. But regardless of that, the only thing you should be worried about is the points. Money you're going to need to spend no matter what, but if you spend 300 now it saves you from spending 5k more over the next 7 years on insurance
agillzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #45
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
This is why I refuse to get tints on any of my cars in this area; as much as i'd like to I'd rather not give cops any excuse to pull me over for.

So far I've been doing great with my tint. My mechanic thought I would get pulled over because I have black seats which makes it look darker. So during the day time I pull the shade back to let in more light.. Or simply the cops haven't stopped me.

After reading this thread I went back to DMV and they gave me a 2nd print print of my registration but with a note that says "plates will be issued once they are printed". I was driving around with MD 60 day temp tags that were close to expiring. I finally got my VA Plates with another registration date but no note.

Maybe the OP can transcribe a note at the bottom.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #46
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
This is why I refuse to get tints on any of my cars in this area; as much as i'd like to I'd rather not give cops any excuse to pull me over for.
This. It's just not worth it for the +5 cool guy points tint earns you.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 03-11-2013 at 11:02 PM.
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #47
Zhp235

My Ride: 06 330ci zhp
Don't know how the court system works in VA, but out here in CA we could go to traffic school to have the point dismissed from a particular offense once every 18 months. In either case, sounds like the pig was being a dick and chose you as his victim. Like always, their bullshit "I could only pull over one car at a time" is a legit enough reason to screw us over. Good luck man.

Last edited by Zhp235; 03-12-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Zhp235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #48
jdny516

Quote:
Originally Posted by agillzz View Post
Ok just read the original post. So I may be repeating if anyone else has said this. If you got it in Fairfax county, highly likely you can drop the charges fairly easily. One, get your speedo calibrated. Technically by law the cop is only allowed to follow you for a mile, if it was more than that then he is not allowed to ticket you, for anything. But regardless of that, the only thing you should be worried about is the points. Money you're going to need to spend no matter what, but if you spend 300 now it saves you from spending 5k more over the next 7 years on insurance
It was Arlington County still (just before Sycamore on 66). I'll look into speedo calibration. As for him following me for more or less than a mile is debatable, and I doubt I can fight that with no evidence. I know He was on Fairfax drive with me, but that doesn't mean he was following me per say. It was definitely less than a mile from the on ramp of 66 (fairfax drive) to about a 0.5 mile from Sycamore exit.

I am only worried about the points but with limpiabota809 post I am wondering if he can still dig up a link to show that with a NY license I wouldn't receive any points. I switched over to VA license less than 5 days after the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
So far I've been doing great with my tint. My mechanic thought I would get pulled over because I have black seats which makes it look darker. So during the day time I pull the shade back to let in more light.. Or simply the cops haven't stopped me.

After reading this thread I went back to DMV and they gave me a 2nd print print of my registration but with a note that says "plates will be issued once they are printed". I was driving around with MD 60 day temp tags that were close to expiring. I finally got my VA Plates with another registration date but no note.

Maybe the OP can transcribe a note at the bottom.
I thought I was doing great with my tints as well, its been years since I have put them on, this was the only incident I have ever had with them. Glad you got your plates in order, no point in taking a risk if you don't have too. Apparently your driver window tint has to let in 50% of light (correct me if i am wrong please), which I think is a little crazy because it seems some factory window tints let in less light than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
This. It's just not worth it for the +5 cool guy points tint earns you.
I'll most likely be removing them soon as well. Just not worth the headache anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhp235 View Post
Don't know how the court system works in VA, but out here in CA we could go to traffic school to have the point dismissed from a particular offense once every 18 months. In either case, sounds like the pig was being a dick and chose you as his victim. Like always, their bullshit "I could only pull over one car at a time" is a legit enough reason to screw us over. Good luck man.
Well I recently moved to VA so I dont know how they work either. I've been asking around to see if they do have a school to reduce/remove points. Again, my only concern is points that would jack up my insurance. My car insurance is only like $50/month and I want it to stay that way.
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Last edited by jdny516; 03-12-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #49
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
I live in MD, but my car is registered to MT. My windows are black (10% up front and 5% on all the others). I've been pulled over a few times, and they've given my the run around and tried to issue me a ticket a few times. I just kindly hand the nice little print out of MT state law to them that tells the legal limits for tint in my state. They usually get pretty pissed (you can see it in their eyes) and then ask me why my vehicle is registered in MT when I have an adress in MD. Now, for the cops who really don't know what they're talking about, and tell me I can't live in one state and claim residence in another, whilst having a vehicle registered in that state, I hand them my military ID and smile. I've been screwed over once by the court system, found out my license was suspened and I had a warrant for an unpaid traffic ticket....that I never got....and didn't have a fee on it anyways. Just doin' my part to keep the ones that don't know the laws they're upholding at bay. I'll gladly pay a ticket if I've broken the law and they can prove it. I just like to argue
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #50
jdny516

^correct me if I am wrong but I think in VA if you are military you can have any license plate, drivers license etc and the cops shouldn't give you a hard time. Same goes if you are in school in this area.
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #51
Eisenheim

I was talking mostly about MD cops, but a few have been VA cops. From what I've found, not so much in NoVa, but the closer you get to Norfolk, they don't care for military much.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #52
jdny516

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...211957738.html
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

My Progress Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #53
Eisenheim

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #54
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I really hate how NBC Washington is making such a big deal (in a whiny, poor woman, way)...she was not keeping right and impeding traffic...she deserves the ticket
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #55
saxual328ci

Quote:

I thought I was doing great with my tints as well, its been years since I have put them on, this was the only incident I have ever had with them. Glad you got your plates in order, no point in taking a risk if you don't have too. Apparently your driver window tint has to let in 50% of light (correct me if i am wrong please), which I think is a little crazy because it seems some factory window tints let in less light than that

I'll most likely be removing them soon as well. Just not worth the headache anymore.

Well I recently moved to VA so I dont know how they work either. I've been asking around to see if they do have a school to reduce/remove points. Again, my only concern is points that would jack up my insurance. My car insurance is only like $50/month and I want it to stay that way.

I just got it and I really don't know the percent. I have to check and see if any paperwork is in the car. Assuming that this car passed in MD with the correct tint then I should be okay. I wasn't a huge fan of tint but its growing on me. Plus my car looks sweet with it. Having the tint is totally out of my norm. I loving it.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #56
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
I just got it and I really don't know the percent. I have to check and see if any paperwork is in the car. Assuming that this car passed in MD with the correct tint then I should be okay. I wasn't a huge fan of tint but its growing on me. Plus my car looks sweet with it. Having the tint is totally out of my norm. I loving it.
Legal limit in VA is 40%

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #57
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngillan View Post
Legal limit in VA is 40%
Must have changed, it was 35 when I got my last tint ticket.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #58
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Must have changed, it was 35 when I got my last tint ticket.
Got pulled over about a month ago and the cop measured the tint on my driver's side window, he told me limit was 40% and mine measured 33%, he said to take it off and he'd write me a ticket if he saw it again.....I'm not taking it off..

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #59
Mf3st

My Ride: e46M3
I remember my day when I' got 12 tickets, they confiscated my bike, and jail time. I spend 20.000 just to get out of this ****. Imagine that i had a clean record
This is life that give you bad lessons, which you will remember for ever

Last edited by Mf3st; 03-14-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Mf3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #60
saxual328ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngillan View Post
Legal limit in VA is 40%

I checked the VA state DMV site awhile back and it is 35% rear and 50% front.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/...sunshading.asp
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm

So basically you were fine. lol It's gonna be very interesting to see if I get stopped. I really don't think I will because I've had my share of run ins with the law. And I spoke out about their shenanigans and THey don't like that.