E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Engine problems, lifter/oil/water!

Hi guys!

I've been searching for a while about this now, i got lifter noise the other day, and all of a sudden it increased quite a bit in volume, so i parked the car and let it sit for a few days since i didnt have time to look at it.

Today i checked, listened and so on, and im sure it's the lifters making this noise, and if i hold my hands on the engine i can feel it being a bit to rough for this lovely I6. So i checked the oil level (Which i do regurarly) and it had dropped just to around minimum.

So i know that is a problem, but when i checked the oil filler cap, i found alot of grey "sludge", which is evidence of water in the oil, but when i checked my coolant it was clear green!

Now, i thought since im almost do for an oil change ill change to Castrol 0-30 LL-01 which should be the one for my engine correct? I have used the M oil - Castrol 0-60 before, which i have now understood is not okey to use with the standard service schedule!

So, i thought since i have sludge in my oil, ill try to clean the inside using seafoam in the old oil.

How would you tackle this problem? I was thinking seafoaming my old oil and then switch to the new one with a new filter, but is there anything else i should do, to prevent this problem from occurring again?
And since i live in Sweden and drive my car year around, in tempatures from -30C to +30C, is 0-30 a good Viscosity to use?

Sorry for all the questions, i know there is alot of information on this already since i read alot of it, that's how i found out the lifter issue and the right oil to use. But im scared since i had sludge in the oil and dont want to miss anything, i.e any filter/valves or things of that sort!

Thanks alot!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
tommytoyz

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
If you have a ticking lifter, you either have to replace it or unstick it. Both can only be done by removing the lifter. For that you have to remove the cams.....Don't fall for the "trick" that some miracle fluid will fix this.

I took my engine apart and saw exactly what was causing the tick.

As to seafoam - forget it. Just change the oil. If you are getting a brownish build up on the cap, and if the water level drops, even slowly over weeks - it could be water seeping through the Cylinder head gasket. In that case, don't replace the gasket, replace the entire engine - trust me - I've done both.
tommytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Lifters do tend to go noisy if the oil is low. The simplest thing to do at first is just to change the oil. Castrol 0W-30 LL-01 is perfect.
There's a good chance the nosie will go away.
As for the low oil level and the sludge on the cap, this can be caused by failing thermostat and ccv.
So, after changing the oil, start the engine and let it warm up. Test the ccv - take off the oil cap from the valve cover and feel crank the case pressure by hand: it should be slightly negative. If it is sucking air like a vacuum line, then the CCV membrane is torn. This would explain the low oil level. In this case, while the cap is off, there may also be a noise that sound like an air horn.
After this, put the cap back, set the cluster to test 7.0 and drive the car for a few kilometers. Observe the engine coolant temp - it should stay within 92-97 C. If it reaches only the 80s or the upper 70s, the thermostat doesn't close completely. This may explain the sludge. If it canot get even this high, then thermostat is stuck open, but you'd probably know this by now since the coolant gauge needle wouldn't reach the 1/2 mark.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 02-26-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytoyz View Post
If you have a ticking lifter, you either have to replace it or unstick it. Both can only be done by removing the lifter. For that you have to remove the cams.....Don't fall for the "trick" that some miracle fluid will fix this.

I took my engine apart and saw exactly what was causing the tick.

As to seafoam - forget it. Just change the oil. If you are getting a brownish build up on the cap, and if the water level drops, even slowly over weeks - it could be water seeping through the Cylinder head gasket. In that case, don't replace the gasket, replace the entire engine - trust me - I've done both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Lifters do tend to go noisy if the oil is low. The simplest thing to do at first is just to change the oil. Castrol 0W-30 LL-01 is perfect.
There's a good chance the nosie will go away.
As for the low oil level and the sludge on the cap, this can be caused by failing thermostat and ccv.
So, after changing the oil, start the engine and let it warm up. Test the ccv - take off the oil cap from the valve cover and feel crank the case pressure by hand: it should be slightly negative. If it is sucking air like a vacuum line, then the CCV membrane is torn. This would explain the low oil level. In this case, while the cap is off, there may also be a noise that sound like an air horn.
After this, put the cap back, set the cluster to test 7.0 and drive the car for a few kilometers. Observe the engine coolant temp - it should stay within 92-97 C. If it reaches only the 80s or the upper 70s, the thermostat doesn't close completely. This may explain the sludge. If it canot get even this high, then thermostat is stuck open, but you'd probably know this by now since the coolant gauge needle wouldn't reach the 1/2 mark.
Thank you so much, both of you with your input, i greatly appreciate it!

I will follow your advice Megalocnus and change the oil, check ccv/thermostat!

I have been tracking my water levels and the coolant is not going away, it's definately still there!

I will let you know what happens Thanks again!