E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Any lifters smoke?

I smoke a couple of cigarettes a day, mostly socially. Still, I want to quit as I feel it would benefit my lifting a lot. Any lifters out there who are ex smokers? Please show me the ways
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Ughhhh. You're better than that kushy.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Only that good purple kush or trainWreck before working out to stay cool and relaxed.

As far as quitting, your brain will kick out the habit if you stay away for 18 days. It's all mental, just resist it for 18 days. Every time you have urge to smoke go jerk off, bang a girl/guy/dog/chicken, play video games, or lift.

Last edited by z00; 02-22-2013 at 04:33 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
How does it feel to want?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Ugh.....I smoke a dart here and there when I drink and if I'm under a good amount of stress. Not a daily smoker, but it's gross all the same.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
I smoked in college, cigarettes and that kush. I didn't think I smoked cigarettes a lot until I tried to stop, that was the single hardest thing I have ever done.

Mentally, I had to convince myself that I no longer had to convince myself to smoke. Can't believe I even smoked. I just told myself I cannot be an athlete, healthy, in shape and smoke. Plus after college, I felt like only douche bags smoked.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I quit smoking many years ago while still in the Army. That was pretty hard. Anyone who's been in the military knows how hard it is to NOT smoke.
I kept recreationally smoking cigars, but after a little while, the lifting took priority and it became apparent to my that my lungs weren't really appreciating the pollution. Regardless of how you smoke a cigar, you still get some inhaled. Still not good.

If that's not enough, consider this:

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Ugh.....I smoke a dart here and there when I drink and if I'm under a good amount of stress. Not a daily smoker, but it's gross all the same.
My disappointment. It is immense.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
My disappointment. It is immense.

Agreed

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Never had even one drag of a cigarette in my life

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Smoked on and off from the age of 14 until 21. Quit cold turkey and haven't smoked in over a year. Now the smell/thought of cigarettes disgust me and I have 0 cravings.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion

Last edited by DME46; 03-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Smoked on and off from the age of 14 until 21. Quit cold turkey and haven't smoked in over a year. Now the smell/thought of cigarettes disgust me and I have 0 cravings.
I know have only been smoking when I'm drinking / socially. Gives me hope that you have no cravings!
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
I know have only been smoking when I'm drinking / socially. Gives me hope that you have no cravings!
I don't smoke, so I can't really comment on the toughness or lack thereof of quitting, but I do offer this:

Kushy you workout hard. I see that in your threads, your progress, and how determined you are to improve yourself physically. The mindset that you use during your workouts needs to be applied to getting ciggs out of your life. If someone told you that it is extremely hard to dumbbell flat bench press 70's, so you probably shouldn't try... you'd tell them to F off and watch you throw 70's up 10 times. That person thats afraid to take on the challenge and admits that the challenge is too great for them will never accomplish anything, won't get bigger; healthier; stronger etc. Not just you, but anyone who is trying to quit smoking and is just too afraid of the uphill battle ahead of them, won't quit. You can quit man! You demonstrate the mental necessity in your workouts, now go apply it ciggs and tell yourself you are stronger than those fvckin things. No matter how bad the cravings are, you will ONLY get healthier. 18 days is all you need to make it before you are physiologically home free. Now go get it!
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Athletic performance aside, you should know that smoking (even socially) significantly increases your risk for heart disease (in addition to the whole Lung Cancer thing of course).

Learning this was all the motivation I needed..

I quit cold turkey 6yrs ago

Last edited by Ghostie; 03-03-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote