E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #1
meegs

My Ride: E46 325XI
P1343 Ridiculousness!! Need Help!!

Last week I blew out my VCG in my 01 325XI and in the process of replacing it I snapped the vent pipe from the CCV. So I ended up having to do the dreaded CCV job as well as replacing the VCG and spark plugs. After completing all of the associated work I started the car and everything ran fine. Soon after, the car decided to start shaking at idle and displayed code P1343 which is supposedly a misfire at cylinder one. I have purchased a new coil and swapped it one at a time across all 6 cylinders and the problem persists. I would normally assume this was an injector but for some reason if I give the car a few revs after start it runs and idles fine with no codes. The misfire only happens after a cold start and only after idling for a while. This is seriously frustrating me!! Any ideas are welcome!!
meegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Check the spark plug in cylinder one. Yes, I know it's new but you never know.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
meegs

I actually already pulled all of the spark plugs just to make sure they didn't get oil fouled and I replaced the plug in cylinder one with another brand new one just to be sure.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I'm assuming you've done the usual process of checking your work and everything right? Like making sure everything is hooked up properly? When you moved the coil around did the misfire follow or was it always in cylinder one? How new is your fuel pump and filter? The injectors rarely go bad, it's usually something else. Sounds to me like fuel pressure is not enough to properly fill cylinder one. Resolve this soon otherwise you can fvck up your cat converters.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
meegs

Yes, I pulled everything back apart and rechecked my work. The fuel filter and pump are nearly new. The code does not change when I swap coils but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a generic misfire code. It's my understanding that the car disables the cylinder to save the cats if it registers a misfire.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
So you've moved coil(s) around and the mis-fire remains on cylinder one? You also removed the cylinder one "new" spark plug and either switched it with one from another cylinder, or did you get another new plug? Its not uncommon, even today to buy new spark plugs and have a bad one (it was very common in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but still happens today. That's the only code stored? Have you removed and taken a look at the DISA? If its not working, aka broken flap, you will get random misfires, but usually across all 6 cylinders. No oil in number 1s spark plug well or on the plug or coil boot? Did you seat the CCV hoses fully?
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
meegs

Yes I installed the brand new coil on cylinder one and the misfire remained. I also moved it to all 6 cylinders and the code persists. I buy an additional plug and installed it in cylinder one and it is still misfiring. If I let it run after it registers the misfire code it will sometimes also throw a lean code. I have did not think top inspect the DISA because it seems to be isolated to one cylinder but I will take a look at that next. And no, there is no oil in any of the cylinders after doing the VCG. The CCV hoses are all installed properly.. This is really driving me insane because last night I started it, revved it a bit then took it for a drive. I went 100 miles total with no codes whatsoever. Then I shut it off, restarted it without revving and as soon as it idled it misfired.

Last edited by meegs; 02-20-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
tomoyer

IF the DISA is fine, make sure you have no vacuum leaks such as broken "F" connector on Upper Air Intake Hose, no cracks on upper or Lower Intake Hose, inspect the Mass Air Valve for dirt and clean if dirty. And you may have to clean the Idle Control Valve, it may be dirty and not operating smoothly (and yes, it si a PIA to get at). Something else that is often overlooked, is the Secondary Air Pump. It only runs for a few minutes on start-up to inject more air into exhaust to help the CATs. On the top under the cap 9that is removable, though it doesn't really look like it is) is a filter. This filter gets clogged with dirt after time. Its easy to check and if the filter is dirty, DO NOT try to wash it, it will fall apart. You can try blowing it out with a compressor, but turn the pressure down. You can easily make a new filter from house forced air heat duct filters (available at The Home Depot or Lowes), you can cut several pieces of this flat heat register filter material and put it in under the cap and it will work just fine, the spare filters (usually they come 6 to a pack) you will have to make new ones. Though, typically if the Secondary Air Pump Filter is clogged you will get the code for Low Secondary Air and not a mis-fire. A fuel filter and/or fuel pump going bad usually will not "starve" just one cylinder of gas, it will lean the gas across all 6 cylinders, leaving number 1 and number 6 with the lowest flow since they are the outboard most cylinders. Not saying it isn't a fuel problem, but I would be suspect of the wiring connection at number one injector or the injector itself than the fuel filter or pump or fuel regulator (which is part of the filter). Worth looking at the electrical connection/plug for number 1 injector, its close enough to VCG and front CCV hose to have been dislodged.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
meegs

Thanks tomoyer, I just installed a brand new lower intake boot because I had to cut the old one off and I cleaned the ICV and TB thoroughly while doing the CCV and I also cleaned the MAF. I did find a few cracked vacuum line connectors and replaced them but it did not solve the problem. I'm starting to wonder if this couldn't be an electrical issue. i.e. alternator, belt, or battery somehow..
Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
tomoyer

Could be electrical, but only so far as the number one injector or number one coil is concerned, alternator, seep belt or battery would not cause only 1 cylinder to mis-fire. did you remove the throttle body when you did the CCV? If you did, are you sure that its sealed 100% when you bolted it back on? Though, again, if the throttle body had a vacuum leak, it should be throwing random mis-fire or random cylinder lean codes. How about the electrical plug to the Idle Control Valve? And the hoses to it are tight and not cracked? Since swapping coils and plugs to other cylinders and the mis-fire stayed with cylinder one, I'm leaning right now to an electrical problem i.e. loose connection at number 1 injector or loose connection at number 1 coil, OR possible damaged wires to these. And just a random question, did you put all the ground wires back on the coils before you put the trim piece on, I believe yours has the early style coils that have ground wires and now just the push on coils with the plug and clip like my '03s. One last thought/question for now, if you did remove the throttle body, is the cable to the stepper motor connected correctly so that the stepper motor opens and closes the throttle in relation to the gas pedal?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
meegs

Yes, there's nothing that leads me to believe that I'm getting unmetered air.. I just pulled the DISA valve and it is in good shape. Also, the ICV and DISA are plugged in with no damage to the connectors. I did reattach the ground wires to the coils but now that you mention that I'm going to play with them a bit to make sure that's not the issue. If it is I will feel like a complete and utter moron. The throttle does operate perfectly, and it's only at idle that it throws the code. I'm also going to pull the ICV and see if I can give it a more thorough cleaning..

Last edited by meegs; 02-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
meegs

I have been wondering if after installing the new CCV I didn't suck frozen sludge sh*t into the intake manifold..
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
tomoyer

When you clean the ICV, be careful and use good cleaner or you can damage the electronics contained within when cleaning the flapper and bore. If the ground for number one coil isn't making good/full contact to ground, this well could be your issue, that's why I brought it up knowing you had the older style coils. And though this might sound like a really stupid question, your new coil is of the same type and not the new style coil (don't think its possible to connect the newer ones to the older ones wiring)? I assume that you have been "wiping" the code out each time you have tried/changed something? I'm still thinking along the lines of electrical problem with #1 injector or #1 coil. I believe you have said that the new #1 plug and the "new" one you took out were not fowled, oil or black electrode.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
meegs

Yes I have been clearing the code each time. And yes, I have the old style Bremi coils and the new coil is the same. The plug looked healthy when I took it out but I replaced it anyway just to be sure.

Last edited by meegs; 02-20-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
tomoyer

Then check those grounds, would be highly unlikely that another new spark plug and new coil would be bad, especially since you did move them around with no change is the cylinder mis-firing. Definitely take you time and really check the electrical connections to number one. Since you have no performance/drivability problem you can also rule out a problem with #1 piston and valves because a burnt valve would also rear its ugly head cursing down the highway.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
meegs

Welp I just found a crack in my valve cover. It must have happened when I was bolting it back on as it right around the fitting for one of the center bolts. It seems unlikely to me that this would cause a misfire but I will replace it tomorrow along with the ground connector and see if that fixes it.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #17
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
Similar thing happened to me. Turns out I missed connecting one of the plugs from the wire harness under the intake. Once i found that everything was fine.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I hate chasing phantom issues like this especially when you have a clue what the most common culprits are. The VC crack indeed is unlikely to cause the mis-fire. The code points to cyl. 1 and never changed with the cyl.1 plug or coil swap is how I read this. So what's left? An intake leak will cause random missing but normally moves around different cylinders. It's always something recently touched or handled when greeted with a new code after a repair. Problem is, you attacked multiple areas. Now all "fixes" are suspect. What original parts were moved over such as coil wire/plug boot lead? Did it get yanked and damaged? #1 coil ground connection? Check every electrical connector you handled even on the CCV side. Check for vac leaks spraying starting fluid around the intake and CCV areas listening for the idle to pick up.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
tomoyer

A cracked valve cover could be the reason for your mis-fire, but since it would be a vacuum leak, it should register random mis-fires for all 6 cylinders and not just one. Of course you need to replace the valve cover since it is cracked, while doing so, check those grounds, I'm still inclined to believe you have a poor/bad electrical connection between #1 injector or #1 coil or bad/damaged #1 coil ground.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
meegs

Well I replaced the valve cover and it runs perfect now. I have no clue why it only misfired on one cylinder. It could be because I shut it off every time the SES light came on. Thanks everyone for you're input!