E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
das9125

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
Unhappy Help. My SMG failed. Or did it?

Guys,

Two days ago the SMG light turned on and my dash when I tried to turn the car on.
And no engine turn. No crank at all. I called my mechanic and he was on his way to my house. 30 minutes later he came and I tried to turn the engine, and it turned on.
But SMG gear dash light was on. We read codes, fault code (059) 3B Clutch Actuation Dynamic

My car is 2006 and only 28k miles. Never did the SMG act up. I changed the Salmon relay about 2 years ago preventevely, and yesterday once again. But the problem remains.

The following are my symptoms:

- The pump primes when I unlock the car.
- I have replaced the Salmon relay. Will get a new one again tomorrow just in case.
- When the car is on and I turn it off, I am unable to turn it back on. However, if I wait for about 45mins, it will work again. Almost like it is due to a heat issue and needs to cool down. Maybe a sensor?
- When my car does turn on, the gearbox works perfectly, I am able to shift up-down, from S1-S6, Reverse, with no gear dropped or sent to neutral, perfectly normal. No lag at any revs. No weird noises.

I have read through every SMG thread and cannot really come down to the exact problem. Please help. If anyone has had the exact same symptoms I really appreciate your help.

My intuition tells me that the hydraulic unit is fine, since the gearbox opperates normally once the car is on. I don't think it is the gear position sensor, since I am able to shift up and down no problems once the car is on.
My real problem is the car not turning on once I turn it off.
When I try to turn it back on, it is at that moment when I get the SMG gear light on and the fault code is thrown, only then.

I have tried:

- Pressing the brake really hard in case it is the brake sensor
- Checking hood sensors (which shouldnt be an issue since you are able to turn the car on with the hood open)

I will replace the salmon relay once again tomorrow and I have a new key being sent to me. Maybe it as DME problem? Maybe the starter?

I really appreciate it. I have been a defender of SMG, but once it bites you, really cannot trust it ever again.

2006 ZCP M3 SMG, Silver Grey - Imola Red

Last edited by das9125; 02-22-2013 at 11:56 PM.
das9125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
I don't know much, but the first thing comes into is the battery and the alternator. I'm just brainstorming...

Last edited by Chewy; 02-22-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
M3driv3r

My Ride: Carbon black e46 m3
Smg pump? They overheat and that's why they fail, it's hit and miss, I have a 140k mile car with the original pump, track and daily, I've also seen low mile cars go! Maybe you got a bad pump, they have a recall check your local dealer to see if any chance of coverage good luck! Lots of ???? But I still love my smg!!
M3driv3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
das9125

Well guys, te thing is if the SMG pump was bad, I would have faulty gear shifts, which my car does not. It works perfectly after ignition.
I will check battery charge and alternator tomorrow. The problem really looks like it is electrical, which I really hope, as the actuator or the pump are $$$

I will also check the brake pedal sensor. So many things that could be it. If I can only find someone with the exact same symptoms resolved

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
the recall was for the smg pump relay re-wiring not hte pump it self. with the clutch fault maybe try looking at re calibrating it (will need some sort of oem equivlent software. also could be smg pump temp sensor have you looked up the resistor fix maybe try that first since its the cheapest and quickest thing to do when all you get is the intermittant light.
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
das9125

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent ///M View Post
the recall was for the smg pump relay re-wiring not hte pump it self. with the clutch fault maybe try looking at re calibrating it (will need some sort of oem equivlent software. also could be smg pump temp sensor have you looked up the resistor fix maybe try that first since its the cheapest and quickest thing to do when all you get is the intermittant light.
Thanks silent. I will do the resistor trick.
Most say that their symptoms before putting on the resistor are their car falling out of gear after it warms up, but who knows, maybe it works.

In my case, the problem is no crank. Once it starts it is perfect.

Maybe a starter motor? I will try a new key hopefully tomorrow and see whether it has something to do with it.

My car is 2006, past the relay wiring recall.

Last edited by das9125; 02-22-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
M3driv3r

When my pump went on my other car, the car would not start...for your sake my fingers are crossed its not a pump!!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
das9125

Well, my car does start, it just does after a while of leaving it alone (45+ mins). And the pump primes when I unlock the car for about 5 seconds. And the gearbox works perfectly once the car does start.
It just doesnt want to start right away after I turn it off. And that's when the SMG peg light comes on. But the symptoms are really telling me it could be SMG unrelated.

Brake pedal sensor? starter motor? I appreciate your help guys

Could these problems be triggering the SMG cog light?

Last edited by das9125; 02-23-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
M3driv3r

Battery starting to go? Hmm yeah doesn't sound trans related, but then again there are tons of springs and sensors that could go
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
das9125

I will try recharging my battery to see if it helps, altough my mechanics computer showed 12v for my battery. And if it was the problem, would it really start after a while, but not immediately after tuning the car off?

One detail I forgot to mention: when the car does not start, I don't hear anything when I go to crank position, no click, nothing. Like it has been disabled completely

Last edited by das9125; 02-23-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
M3driv3r

Hmm ya got me there!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
So if I'm reading this right, the car is having trouble shifting out of gear and into Neutral with the engine stopped. The ECU seems to think it's the clutch not disengaging. Do you hear any noises before cranking when trying to shift to Neutral? I recommend what Silent M has said, have the adaptation run as well as the program to bleed the clutch. Check and double check for leaks in the hydraulics.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
Check your smg fluid. And also if you anyone with gt1 tool let him bleed your pump. You never know. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
das9125

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
So if I'm reading this right, the car is having trouble shifting out of gear and into Neutral with the engine stopped. The ECU seems to think it's the clutch not disengaging. Do you hear any noises before cranking when trying to shift to Neutral? I recommend what Silent M has said, have the adaptation run as well as the program to bleed the clutch. Check and double check for leaks in the hydraulics.
Roadtrip,

Actually it has no problem going into Neutral.
If I am in 1st it will go into Neutral, but will not go back into 1st. And it won't crank. That is for about 45 mins.

I will try your suggestions guys, today we are at it.
Will let you know.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
dirkramrod

My Ride: 2003 CB M3
I had a similar problem, with the DSC, Brake, Tire, and SMG lights in yellow/amber.

The car wouldn't go into 1st gear at times, though if i let it sit for awhile, it would work.

Turned out to be my battery.
dirkramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
das9125

Ok guys, the starter is fine. Or at least from the following diagnostic. My mechanic put a wire to it and was able to start the car, when trying to crank the engine with the key would not work. We also noticed no voltage reaching the selenoid when it does not work. Like the problem lies between the key and the starter. EWS?

- We checked and cleaned all the connections to the battery and front terminal. All good.
- SMG Hydraulic fluid, above the max.

Tomorrow we will try the new key. The problem is very intermittent. There really is no way of knowing now when it happens. But usually after a long time, then it most certainly will work.

I will also charge my battery to see if this solves the issue.

Dirk, would you have the SMG light stay amber afterwards and a code thrown? This sounds very much like my problem, since the car will stay in N and not go to 1st when it is not working.

Did you hear it click when you tried to crank the engine? I hear nothing. And maybe if the voltage is low, could the EWS be completely disabling the starter?

The weird thing is that when it IS working, I can turn the car on and off many times and it keeps working.

I thought it was more predictable than it really is. It is very sporadic.

Last edited by das9125; 02-25-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
I heard the ignition switch is a common problem with our cars its intermittant and cause a no click/start also
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
dirkramrod

My Ride: 2003 CB M3
My mechanic used a medtronic device to test my car, narrowed it down pretty quick to the battery.

When i shut off the car, the smg light would stay lit until the lights faded from the car.

i heard nothing when trying to start the engine. the lights in the car seemed to function normally, and the pump even primed itself.

I didn't get my code readout, so i can't help you there.

Get the battery checked, especially if you have never replaced it.
dirkramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
das9125

Original battery.
Today my mechanic checked the ignition switch and it seems fine. We tried the new key, the problem is still there.
He is currently looking at my EWS (reprogramming I think).

I will swap out the battery for a new one just to make sure. But so far, still cannot find where the issue lies. Not the starter, not the switch, not the key.

Will let you guys know.

Update: Not the EWS.

I am running out of options. The only left to try is a new battery which I will do tomorrow

Last edited by das9125; 02-26-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3
Hope it's not your pump. Mine went out in 2010 with 75K miles. It's an 03...$$$!