E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
DIY DSC yellow light abs asc reset using INPA BMW

I understand some of us somewhere during our ownership of this vehicle experience the DSC yellow light with the exclamation mark, yellow abs and brake light. It sucks. Hey at least you can still drive your car. We, are the lucky ones. When BMW designed the e39, the decided to lay that thing smack dab hovering right over the headers. Wowzers, no heat shield, nothing. I've managed to do this twice so far, the first time took 4 visits with me and it was a very frustrating job. the 2nd and most recent job took 2 visits, the 1st visit with me trying for around 2 hours only to realize I needed to accomplish something important first. on the 2nd visit, it took 5 minutes. I'm trying to save all of you the run around, the misinformation, the misunderstanding of the information given to you, the lies told, the time spent researching all over the web, and the headache of having to deal with this. That's because I had to go through most of it, and this wasn't even an issue I was having on my own car. It's definitely a good to know thing, so if it does happen I can fix it in 5 minutes. Ok, let's go over some things here.

What you'll need:

BMW D+K can USB interface OBD 2 cable (not that expensive)

Computer running windows xp (by way of either naturally, or through virtual machines such as Virtual box or Vmware)

Lots of patience

The cable can be bought for fairly cheap, I think around $25. The software can be found online by searching for keywords BMW Ediabas inpa ncs expert. I'm not going to go through the installation process, but my first time, it was very frustrating and took days and many attempts only because I was lead to believe that I could get this to work running windows 64bit. It's partially true that you can, but NCS expert, which isn't involved in this process doesn't. Also, for this particular solution, you will not be able to use windows 64 bit because it requires that we use an old version of INPA that doesn't like it. For those who already have it running and setup, this is going to be fun for you. LOL. For those that don't have this setup, if you get windows xp running, you'll be ok. its very simple. the frustrating part was updating to newer versions of all of the software packages in a very specific manner without causing incompatibility issues, language changes to German, script errors, and all sorts of things you didn't plan for. My advice if you have an issue, delete everything and start over.

If you have this already setup and have a fairly new version of ediasbas and INPA on your computer, you'll be required to take a deep breath. I'm pretty sure I have tried this route, but I could be wrong but setting up another virtual windows xp machine using vmware (which I did) or virtual box (haven't tried it) when you already have one setup didn't work. I think the issue I was having is even though you would think that installing it on a different virtual partition and it supposedly being like a separate computer, my 2nd xp virtual machine was still picking up the installation and newer versions from my 1st virtual xp, even though I didnt even have it running. I was forced to create another partition and have a dual booting windows. During that process, I wanted to insure that I wouldnt have to delete everything and reinstall again, I did it on another harddrive. I just assumed I would face the same issue as I would with the virtual machine, although I can't be certain.

Why go through all this when I could just delete the version of EDIABAS and INPA, reinstall old version, and within 5 minutes fix my problem? If you went through the installation process and also went through the updating process to get the newest version possible for all the softwares that are tied together without causing incompatibility issues with one another, then you'd understand. If you update Ediasbas past a certain part, then another software used for something else cannot be used and then if you want to use it, you must delete and restart this all over again. To get it perfect requires reading and understanding the installation process. There's a diy out there that's very thorough. Plus I program and code other peoples car so I need an up to date functioning version available at hand.

Now where was I? Oh yes, dual booting windows on separate hard drives. Again, I can't confirm this is the only way. I might be wrong, I just didn't want to find out whether I was or not. Moving along, once you get a working windows xp OS up and running, you'll need to install EDIABAS INPA software. Which one? I think its the oldest one I could find but its not hard to find. I know other versions also allow you to get this done but I forgot which version it was that this function was removed and never to reappear again. You'll need to look for and download a file called EDIASBAS 6.4.3 full. The file should be right around 300-350MB. There's instructions on how to setup com ports and making sure registry files are corrected using an executable software but once you get have at least xp, the cable, and the software, the rest is easy.

Assuming you are at this point, have your car in position 2, cable plugged up and go ahead and launch INPA. if you're launching from the start menu, I believe you want to choose the INPA one that is labeled (INPA.ipo).
[IMG]danny[/IMG]

After the models available popup, look for Special Tests. Mine shows to hold shift and press f8.[IMG]danny[/IMG]

Select The option showing steering angle adjustment e46. [IMG]danny1[/IMG]
From this point forward, I couldn't get the software to load up. it says it couldn't connect with my dsc and it disconnects. odd thing is I did this on an e39 and it worked just fine. Then again, both cars are practically the same thing, just different body style. You can even select e39 as the chassis on the list instead of e46 and it'll load up most of it. I'm sure that will confirm that both vehicles are nearly identical. I should've taken screen shots on the car I programmed. perhaps when I see him again, I will do so, or another e39.

when you select that option, it takes you to a screen that's blue. this is the only time that i've seen the screen with blue background on this software. there's an option listed on there that has something to do with steering angle adjustment. you can't miss it. once selected, it connects with your dsc unit, maybe even ask you to confirm that your steering wheel and wheels are no more than 30 degrees off from center. select yes and in about 15 seconds, it'll be done and the DSC light should turn off.

I know this won't apply to all of you, and if you didn't fix the underlying issue and you attempt this, it won't be off for long. Hope this helps.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 02-24-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361718631
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
I stand corrected. after messing around with Inpa a little more, I noticed that in 2 different locations, one being C:\ec-apps\inpa\bin and the other c:\inpa\bin, holds 2 different versions of INPA running on the same xp virtual machine. hm.... wish I found that out sooner. would've made my life a whole lot easier. what threw me off is theres 3 different executeable Inpa files and the one the system installs on to your start menu is the incorrect one to use. you would need to go manually into your hard drive where you installed it and launch the one labeled as INPALOAD.EXE wow. I just solved my own problem. sweet. oh yeah, what I just wrote on this post only applies to people that have fully updated all the way. if you went with an old installation and went no further to update, stick to what I wrote up above.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 02-24-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361725847
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote