E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #41
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 226
My Ride: 2003 325xi e36 328is
It sure feels great when you finally get an issue resolved. Would have been nice if you didn't have to spend $1000to do it.
__________________

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #42
White_Knuckles
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 1,576
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Congratulations and welcome to "beat the man" club. That's right! Contestants research here and have an opportunity to cheat the dealer or shop. Avoid high service prices and get things done right the first time - by you.

Cheers
__________________
Anything made can be made Better
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #43
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
It sure feels great when you finally get an issue resolved. Would have been nice if you didn't have to spend $1000to do it.
Yes, jmo, it certainly does feel great. The sun is shining and the flowers are in bloom. lol.

Actually, I've only got about $200.00 into the resolution of the CEL. Most of that cost was the OBDII reader that I had to buy to clear and read the codes. A very valuable tool at any rate. I've got over a grand in control arms, bushings and ball joints though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
Congratulations and welcome to "beat the man" club. That's right! Contestants research here and have an opportunity to cheat the dealer or shop. Avoid high service prices and get things done right the first time - by you.
Thank you White Knuckles! I'm glad to be part of that club and will give back to the community as often as I can. I really owe you guys a great deal of gratitude because the stealer wanted over $100.00 just to diagnose the issue and then who knows how much they would have charged me.

One thing I will say about this dealer here in Columbus, Ohio is that they were very nice and even directed me to talk to a service specialist who tried to decipher some of the codes and gave me some advice. Honestly though, the advice I get from this forum has been far superior.

I think I'm going to put this car up for sale and I'd like to get a 330Ci Coupe with a manual shift and sport package. That's what I'd really like to have if I am lucky enough to find one.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
Yes, jmo, it certainly does feel great. The sun is shining and the flowers are in bloom. lol.

Actually, I've only got about $200.00 into the resolution of the CEL. Most of that cost was the OBDII reader that I had to buy to clear and read the codes. A very valuable tool at any rate. I've got over a grand in control arms, bushings and ball joints though.



Thank you White Knuckles! I'm glad to be part of that club and will give back to the community as often as I can. I really owe you guys a great deal of gratitude because the stealer wanted over $100.00 just to diagnose the issue and then who knows how much they would have charged me.

One thing I will say about this dealer here in Columbus, Ohio is that they were very nice and even directed me to talk to a service specialist who tried to decipher some of the codes and gave me some advice. Honestly though, the advice I get from this forum has been far superior.

I think I'm going to put this car up for sale and I'd like to get a 330Ci Coupe with a manual shift and sport package. That's what I'd really like to have if I am lucky enough to find one.
Do you mind posting a picture of the part that was bad on yours? I'm going through a similar issue. I thought I had thoroughly checked all the vacuum lines, but now I'm second guessing myself and would love to know if I've looked over something or need to check another piece. It would be much appreciated!
basketthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #45
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
Do you mind posting a picture of the part that was bad on yours? I'm going through a similar issue. I thought I had thoroughly checked all the vacuum lines, but now I'm second guessing myself and would love to know if I've looked over something or need to check another piece. It would be much appreciated!
Hi basketthis. Sure thing. I've uploaded a pic for you to look at. This was a tear or break that occurred on the bottom boot. I know you said that you thoroughly checked the intake boots but then again, so did I. It wasn't until I actually removed them from the car that I was actually able to see the tear in the small boot.

I have an aftermarket air filter and I think what happened in my case was that because the air filter wasn't firmly secured to the car, the vibration caused the tear in the boot.

Did you actually get the boots off the car yet?


Last edited by tomjohnson; 03-04-2013 at 09:02 PM.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #46
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
Hi basketthis. Sure thing. I've uploaded a pic for you to look at. This was a tear or break that occurred on the bottom boot. I know you said that you thoroughly checked the intake boots but then again, so did I. It wasn't until I actually removed them from the car that I was actually able to see the tear in the small boot.

I have an aftermarket air filter and I think what happened in my case was that because the air filter wasn't firmly secured to the car, the vibration caused the tear in the boot.

Did you actually get the boots off the car yet?
Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for delivering!
I'm trying to figure out which boot that is exactly... I didn't completely remove my boot to make sure but felt around really good (I know, thorough lol). I did replace it approx a year ago. Is that the lower intake boot or another boot?
This is the one I replaced. As well as the top boot.
basketthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #47
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for delivering!
I'm trying to figure out which boot that is exactly... I didn't completely remove my boot to make sure but felt around really good (I know, thorough lol). I did replace it approx a year ago. Is that the lower intake boot or another boot?
This is the one I replaced. As well as the top boot.
Sure Basket, I'm glad to help if I can.

OK, I know what you mean about feeling around the boots but even though you may not be up to removing them, you absolutely must do it. You're not going to be able to see a slight tear or feel it for that matter.

All you need to remove these boots is a 10mm and a 6mm socket. The entire thing from start to finish took me about 30 minutes. That was removing the old ones and replacing them with the new ones.

The boot that was bad on my car was the lower boot.

Take my word for it, if you're getting p0171 and p0174 codes, these boots will likely be the issue. Have you read the error codes yet? Can you post them? If you don't already have them, AutoZone will read and print them out for you for free.

EDIT:
I just went to realoem and saw the boot you were referring to. Go to http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-silicone.aspx and the top two images are what you need.

Last edited by tomjohnson; 03-04-2013 at 09:28 PM.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #48
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
Sure Basket, I'm glad to help if I can.

OK, I know what you mean about feeling around the boots but even though you may not be up to removing them, you absolutely must do it. You're not going to be able to see a slight tear or feel it for that matter.

All you need to remove these boots is a 10mm and a 6mm socket. The entire thing from start to finish took me about 30 minutes. That was removing the old ones and replacing them with the new ones.

The boot that was bad on my car was the lower boot.

Take my word for it, if you're getting p0171 and p0174 codes, these boots will likely be the issue. Have you read the error codes yet? Can you post them? If you don't already have them, AutoZone will read and print them out for you for free.
240,2,39,3104,Misfire Cyl 3
243,2,39,3104,Misfire Cyl 6
238,1,37,3264,Misfire Cyl 1
239,1,37,3264,Misfire Cyl 2
228,4,40,2304,Mixture Deviation Bank 2
227,4,40,2304,Mixture Deviation Bank 1
90,0,0,0,Exhaust Temperature Pre Cat Conv - Bank 1
91,0,0,0,Exhaust Temperature Pre Cat Conv - Bank 2
93,0,0,0,Exhaust Temperature Post Cat Conv - Bank 2

The last scan (couple days before this scan) included the cyl 3 and cyl 6 codes along with the exhaust codes. The others are new (today).

Last edited by basketthis; 03-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
basketthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #49
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
240,2,39,3104,Misfire Cyl 3
243,2,39,3104,Misfire Cyl 6
238,1,37,3264,Misfire Cyl 1
239,1,37,3264,Misfire Cyl 2
228,4,40,2304,Mixture Deviation Bank 2
227,4,40,2304,Mixture Deviation Bank 1
90,0,0,0,Exhaust Temperature Pre Cat Conv - Bank 1
91,0,0,0,Exhaust Temperature Pre Cat Conv - Bank 2
93,0,0,0,Exhaust Temperature Post Cat Conv - Bank 2

The last scan (couple days before this scan) included the cyl 3 and cyl 6 codes along with the exhaust codes. The others are new (today).
OK, you've got a few in there that I didn't have. The misfires on my car went away after I changed out the boots. For that matter, all of the other codes disappeared as well. I'm not a mechanic or anything like that but it seemed to me that the bad boots on my car were causing other things to error out as well.

Can you remove the bottom boot and look at it? It'll only take you about 20 mins.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #50
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Basket, have a look at this video. At the 1:30 mark, you can see the guy removing the boots. Are these the same boots you changed out? How new are they?

tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #51
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
Basket, have a look at this video. At the 1:30 mark, you can see the guy removing the boots. Are these the same boots you changed out? How new are they?


Yep. Less than 2 years old... I'll pull them out and check just to be sure.
I will report back. I'm also guessing I might have a bad O2 sensor or something going on... But my symptoms are the same as yours. This is why I asked. Thanks again! Will report back (hopefully with some evidence/pics!! )
basketthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #52
White_Knuckles
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 1,576
My Ride: 2003 325xi
The thing about codes is they can cascade from a common source. Never assume anything like there may be a bad pre-cat sensor. A torn boot can run the car excessively lean sucking air. The resulting air/gas mixture is crazy creating misfiring as well emission sensor errors.

Correcting one problem often clears the series.
__________________
Anything made can be made Better
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #53
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
Yep. Less than 2 years old... I'll pull them out and check just to be sure.
I will report back. I'm also guessing I might have a bad O2 sensor or something going on... But my symptoms are the same as yours. This is why I asked. Thanks again! Will report back (hopefully with some evidence/pics!! )
OK, thanks. I'm very curious myself. I think you'll be surprised. At least I hope you will be anyhow.

While you have the boots off the car, buy yourself a can of CRC air intake cleaner and clean the DISA and MAF really well. That's the time to do that. I'm happy to help if I can.

Also, SamDoe1 and WhiteKnuckles are the guys that really seem to have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. I'm basically just parroting them as they've really helped me immensely; as well as others of course.

Last edited by tomjohnson; 03-04-2013 at 11:11 PM.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #54
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
The thing about codes is they can cascade from a common source. Never assume anything like there may be a bad pre-cat sensor. A torn boot can run the car excessively lean sucking air. The resulting air/gas mixture is crazy creating misfiring as well emission sensor errors.

Correcting one problem often clears the series.
I have to admit, when you told me this, White Knuckles, I was very skeptical but I have to reiterate what you are saying is absolutely right on the money. After I changed my intake boots, all of the other issues went away!

This is really good advice.

Now, I think I've found myself a new ride.

Can I get an opionin on this car? He's asking 4k with 200k miles on it. It's got the sport pkg and manual shift which is what I really want.

What would ya'll offer for this car?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3649019614.html
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #55
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
The thing about codes is they can cascade from a common source. Never assume anything like there may be a bad pre-cat sensor. A torn boot can run the car excessively lean sucking air. The resulting air/gas mixture is crazy creating misfiring as well emission sensor errors.

Correcting one problem often clears the series.
Yes. This seems to be the thing with BMW lol. I'm going to double check on those boots and report back. Hoping to get somewhere with this issue this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
OK, thanks. I'm very curious myself. I think you'll be surprised. At least I hope you will be anyhow.

While you have the boots off the car, buy yourself a can of CRC air intake cleaner and clean the DISA and MAF really well. That's the time to do that. I'm happy to help if I can.

Also, SamDoe1 and WhiteKnuckles are the guys that really seem to have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. I'm basically just parroting them as they've really helped me immensely; as well as others of course.
I have recently cleaned my MAF. DISA is in perfect condition. Just bought a replacement gasket in hopes that it will help. Just need to get around to replacing it at this point. The spark plugs and ignition coils are new (within the past 2 years) as well. Hopefully that gives a little more insight into what I'm dealing with.
basketthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #56
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
I have to admit, when you told me this, White Knuckles, I was very skeptical but I have to reiterate what you are saying is absolutely right on the money. After I changed my intake boots, all of the other issues went away!

This is really good advice.

Now, I think I've found myself a new ride.

Can I get an opionin on this car? He's asking 4k with 200k miles on it. It's got the sport pkg and manual shift which is what I really want.

What would ya'll offer for this car?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3649019614.html
You can get a replacement engine for under 1k. Offer 2500 and see if they take it. Looks like you will have some cleaning to do in your future.
basketthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #57
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
You can get a replacement engine for under 1k. Offer 2500 and see if they take it. Looks like you will have some cleaning to do in your future.
I think you're right Basket. I was thinking like $2800.00 but I like $2500.00 better! The only thing that worries me is that it may have rust on it. In Ohio, they use a lot of salt and it just eats these cars up. This is the main reason why I always borrow someone else's car when there is snow on the ground.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #58
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
I think you're right Basket. I was thinking like $2800.00 but I like $2500.00 better! The only thing that worries me is that it may have rust on it. In Ohio, they use a lot of salt and it just eats these cars up. This is the main reason why I always borrow someone else's car when there is snow on the ground.
LOL. Do it! (also look at my post before the last one )
basketthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #59
tomjohnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 69
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
LOL. Do it! (also look at my post before the last one )
Thanks Basket, you've convinced me! (Actually, it wouldn't have taken a lot )
I'll post back tomorrow and let you know what I find out with that car. I imagine it probably has some pretty decent things wrong with it; namely the control arms. Sheesh! Here we go again!!

Oh yeah, that's true, the motors arn't bad as far as price goes. Thanks. Do you have a place to get them?

Last edited by tomjohnson; 03-04-2013 at 11:30 PM.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #60
White_Knuckles
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 1,576
My Ride: 2003 325xi
These cars can indeed be a problem in the 200K range like ANY high-mile car. If you don't want your yard to resemble Sanford and Son's think about your wish ride. Detail your XI, sell it and find a 100K, 330I with a manual and NO rust. That would be an $11000 car in my region but they show up in the $8-9K range sometimes. Used engines on the Left Coast run $2-3K and may include a scary history. Maybe things are different in the East but these parts fetch a premium.

Messing around swapping front end parts, engines etc. is dandy if you're a good wrench with lots-O-tools, time and a shop. These guys often win bringing back a car performing all the work. A basic owner needing shop services to do the needs often render themselves - upside down. The car is worth less than what's invested. You gotta really love the car for that one. Think hard and long Jedi.
__________________
Anything made can be made Better
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use