E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #141
basketthis

My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohnson View Post
Boy, that's fantastic. You also must have some experience working on BMW's. I've also read that the CCV is extremely difficult and is a huge pain to get to.
Owning one has turned me into an expert "wrencher"

Quote:
That's cool. Thanks for the insight. I'm pretty handy with a wrench but my issue is that I don't have very many at all. It seems as though when I'm working on something that I never, ever have the right tools to do the job. This has always been the most difficult part of working on my car as of late.

I have to commend you, Basket, for keeping a very positive attitude about this whole thing and your determination to get it fixed. I guess I just give up too easily.
Not that I am in a position to anyone what to do. I just started with a small "carry box" and everytime I used/bought a tool for the job I would just throw it in the box so that I'll have it next time. Also, keep an eye on Sears.com. I grabbed a nice full mechanic set on there on clearance one time. Free shipping and all.
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #142
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
That would be the intake CPS as you were poking stuff around there. The connector is buried under the intake where should you get around to replacing it, use a "fish" wire tied to the old one's tail to pull in the replacement. The code showed up right after the CCV servicing was performed. Check that connection!

The O2 and MAF sensors are reporting something new and unusual as well. Are the O2's Bosch? You are now getting post cat seeing the same strange temp. issue in the exhaust stream. A faiing cam sensor will retard or cripple the timing where it will run poorly but makes no sense why it suddenly failed? I think something went south with the recent effort and you need to retrace you steps checking connectors and for air leaks. I have no clue about the O2 situation other than upstream fuel/air mixture can affect exhaust temps where the hiding issue is creating a low or high exhaust stream temp. they are simply reporting.

Careful inspection needs to be done before tossing random parts in related to new codes. Whenever something changes this drastically, you always review the last things you touched. It's not a race to assemble things, something got altered or damaged.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 03-12-2013 at 09:11 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #143
basketthis

As White_Knuckles was typing his post, it had already occurred to me that it was awfully peculiar that CPS popped on immediately and that it ran worse after replacing all of those pieces. I had no idea where the CPS or the wiring for it was, but after just unplugging half the sensors in the engine bay, I had to at least follow up on it. Found an amazing video on Youtube of a camshaft position sensor diagnosis. Turns out, the wires were in the area I was just working in.

Against my own will to go out in the dark with a flashlight and remove the air intake, I did. Glad I did too! Harness was unplugged. Plugged it in, cleared codes, tested idle and drove around for a bit. Couldn't be happier!

No more lag, bog, dip, etc. It goes from idle to increased rpm's immediately. I am including a video (below) of how the idle reacts now. Just for reference, prior to doing the work today, when the rpm was returning to idle and I press the accelerator, the rpm would dip below idle and occasionally stall. I also experienced rough idle on cold start which is what started all of this. I am testing the same situation in the video where rpm is decreasing and I attempt to get it to stall or dip far enough below idle. I am happy to say that I was unsuccessful at that test.

I really appreciate everyone's help to get this figured out. And, thanks White_Knuckles for the last minute chime-in, albeit a few minutes late. Seriously, thank you. Thanks SamDoe1. And thank you tomjohnson for allowing me to highjack! (had to get my shout outs!)

And the moment I've been waiting for for too long:

Last edited by basketthis; 03-12-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #144
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Well, that's good news basket. Basically, my diags may have been too late for you but a reminder for all to not condemn the absolute part associated with a code but look for related cause and affect.

Basket, how about opening a new thread should anything "pop" up.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #145
basketthis

Quote:
Thanks Sam. I'm not sure if you have any experience with the PCV system or not but I went to the thread you included in your last post (Very helpful BTW) but I still don't know where the CCV unit is at. Isn't it under the manafold or somewhere like that? I can't even find a pic on realoem.

Because I've already got the hose, I'm going to try and replace that first and see if this fixes my issue. If not, I'll order the O2 sensors off Amazon and see where that gets me.

There are videos done by bavauto that intricately show the process of removing and replacing the CCV. Google "CCV bavauto" and that should bring it up. It's a blog.bavauto site. Hopefully that will get you some more insight.

I'm anxious to hear the update on your car! I would say that I am very pleased with my results. And as much as you have put into it to this point, you don't have much further to go! Then you will be there and it will all be worth it!

Last edited by basketthis; 03-14-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #146
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Thanks Sam. I'm not sure if you have any experience with the PCV system or not but I went to the thread you included in your last post (Very helpful BTW) but I still don't know where the CCV unit is at. Isn't it under the manafold or somewhere like that? I can't even find a pic on realoem.

Because I've already got the hose, I'm going to try and replace that first and see if this fixes my issue. If not, I'll order the O2 sensors off Amazon and see where that gets me.
Sorry I missed this. The CCV is pretty much right underneath the manifold but has hoses and such that go everywhere.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #147
tomjohnson

My Ride: 325xi
Hi Guys,

Here is an update on my E46. I've still got it up for sale but no bites as of yet. The check engine light has been on for about a week now and yesterday while I was driving it, I did a double take; the damn light went out on its own. I haven't gotten around to reading the codes yet to see if they've cleared or what but I'll definitely do that this weekend.

Basket, thank you for the insightful video from bavauto. I watched parts I and II and I have to say that it's probably more work than I would want to do without having all the right tools. Even the guy in that video had a special tool for hard to reach places and it's just one of many tools that I simply don't have. I'm very curious as to what the dealer would charge to change the CCV and all the hoses.

I'm really happy that you've finally got your car running perfect! I'm really glad that you stuck with it!! Congrats, my friend!

Last edited by tomjohnson; 03-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.
tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote