E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #61
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Chicago "style" pizza doesn't deserve to be called pizza. It shares ingredients with pizza, but it sure as heck isn't real pizza. Calling it pizza is like calling meatloaf a burger.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #62
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
"New York style" in Cali is probably the problem. Try it over here and decide. But like many have said, matter of preference. I can say that if in the mood for either, I enjoy both.

The biggest difference I've seen is the service associated and the dining experience. In Chicago, its a sit down, waiter driven meal. Here, you order from the grease ball behind the counter and he yells at you when its ready. Each one is special haha.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #63
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
The best pizza is the ones i make at home. So damn goodAttachment 492360Attachment 492361

Sent from my damn phone
hey look....more NY style than deep dish.

separate question...anyone who loves deep dish actually make it at home?

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #64
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
"New York style" in Cali is probably the problem.
"New York style" is basically real Italian-style pizza, and there's a bunch of Italians in California, so no - I've never deemed this as a problem unless you're talking about the grease levels involved.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #65
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Ehh...we ate NY pizza in times square...it wasn't good. I'm sure there is a "place" that sells authentic NY Pizza but we didn't find it the 7 days we were there.
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #66
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
Let's be honest there are millions of pizza places. I've gone to places nearby here in NY that actually say NY Style pizza and when you finally get it its some s4!tpie that you can't believe you just paid for. That's just common pool party pizza, the cheap low-quality crap. Unfortunately many people get suckered that aren't from around here and buy this terrible pizza and can't believe how awful NY pizza is. The term is commonly used so you know its not a thick crusted pizza. A proper NY thin crusted pizza is not soggy with grease nor just falls right over. Chicago pizza is easier to make because it doesn't depend so much on the end result of the dough. Chicago pizza is a like a cake or lasagna. Its good and its Chicago's own creation but it certainly is not the true definition of pizza. You sir have been frauded into buying hacked up pizza. When you've eaten a proper NY pizza, trust me you'll know.

Last edited by fckupayme; 02-25-2013 at 07:55 AM.
fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #67
wasp9166
Banned User

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckupayme View Post
Let's be honest there are millions of pizza places. I've gone to places nearby here in NY that actually say NY Style pizza and when you finally get it its some s4!tpie that you can't believe you just paid for. That's just common pool party pizza, the cheap low-quality crap. Unfortunately many people get suckered that aren't from around here and buy this terrible pizza and can't believe how awful NY pizza is. The term is commonly used so you know its not a thick crusted pizza. A proper NY thin crusted pizza is not soggy with grease nor just falls right over. Chicago pizza is easier to make because it doesn't depend so much on the end result of the dough. Chicago pizza is a like a cake or lasagna. Its good and its Chicago's own creation but it certainly is not the true definition of pizza. You sir have been frauded into buying hacked up pizza. When you've eaten a proper NY pizza, trust me you'll know.
mfin
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #68
Madurodave

My Ride: X3,Z4,530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
Ehh...we ate NY pizza in times square...it wasn't good. I'm sure there is a "place" that sells authentic NY Pizza but we didn't find it the 7 days we were there.
John's or Lombardi's - that's where you should have gone. Coal-fired pizza ovens, fast cook seals in flavors and crispy crust!
Madurodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #69
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
This. I think comparing the two is pointless. They're basically two different foods.
Completely agree.

If I'm thinking of getting pizza something like Pizza Hut will never cross my mind but if I want pizza hut regular pizza wont cross my mind. I feel like these are two different foods as well.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #70
Volvoguy

My Ride: IS300;Volvo s60T;
I love pizza, all kinds. I even like mediocre pizza. I like eating pizza sober, I like eating pizza drunk, I like pizza as a main meal, or as an appetizer.

When I travel I even like going to pizza places in different areas, eg: pizza in the midwest, pizza in cape cod (great greek pizza in hyannis), just pizza for the sake of eating pizza.

There is no "good" or "bad" pizza, just preference. Let's be candid here, when you are drunkl/hungover at 4:00 a.m. even leftover or frozen pizza is good.

In regards to the conversation, as other posters mentioned there really isn't a "New York Style pizza" as New York is huge. You have the 99 cent pizza like two brothers, but you also have 17 or 18 dollar gourmet pizza places like Travola (midtown west with an imported italian oven). You have Ray's and hundreds of imitations.

Chicago pizza is delicious as well, but preference wise I prefer a plain jane grandma slice with a single slice of mozzarella baked on.

There definitely has to be something with the water to make ny pizza taste like pizza made in ny. Good example try eating pizza from CT or NJ, close but different at the same time.

People, myself included like thin crusts or a thinner profile due to the ability to taste the sweetness/tangyness of sauces, meats, peppers, onions etc.

Last edited by Volvoguy; 02-25-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Volvoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #71
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i'm a native new yorker and i think both are equally delicious in their own right. if i feel like really pigging out and eating something huge with a fork and knife, nothing beats chicago-style deep dish. for all the other times though, i'd prefer thin-crust ny style.

youre also forgetting that ny-area pizzerias have more than just a plain, thin-crust slice. pizzerias that serve ny-style pizza (at least in ny) have tons of other stuff that you just plain can't get elsewhere, like: calzones, rice balls, stuffed pizzas, specialty pizzas (e.g. white slices).
Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #72
wasp9166
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
not where you are going to get it, they have a steady stream of tourists, they can make money selling anything

gota be a place that gives people a reason to find it

do the research before ya go, if , it's something you want to find

hell, i'm from nyc and i still have to look into things before i head down

times change, chefs change etc etc

Last edited by wasp9166; 02-25-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361802801
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #73
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
not where you are going to get it, they have a steady stream of tourists, they can make money selling anything

gota be a place that gives people a reason to find it

do the research before ya go, if , it's something you want to find

hell, i'm from nyc and i still have to look into things before i head down

times change, chefs change etc etc
What's your favorite pizza in our area?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #74
wasp9166
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
What's your favorite pizza in our area?
terra nova /four seasons in kingston , plaza in front of walmart over bridge
http://www.terranovapizza.net/

guy is from nyc, good fin pizza for up here imo

but, i haven't been everywhere

i try not to eat pizza more than couple times a month, i'm not 25 anymore ,lol

Last edited by wasp9166; 02-25-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361803643
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #75
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Most NY pizza is an average of 18" and yes thin, not the same bread as Chicago style or greek style pizza (which is the in between). meant to be folded to eat and has a cheese blend. Around Mass most places are greek pizza. Dominos is a joke with their "Large" pizza for the price.
I have seen 19" here locally from SAL's pizza(neapolitan style) and in NY if you look at some places in Brooklyn you can find 23" pies. for no more then $11.
In Manhattan it costs more :-(

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #76
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
There's a few places where I live that have phenomenal NY style pizza. This coming from a native east coaster.
Hit me up with some suggestions. The only place I know locally that claims to be NY style is Racanelli's, which I love.

My favorite local pizza joint is Dewey's but I love trying new places.

Deep dish wise, Black Thorn is hard to beat.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #77
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
This. I think comparing the two is pointless. They're basically two different foods.
right one's pizza and one's a bread loaf

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #78
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Here is San Diego, we have a place called Bronx Pizza. Its run by New York transplants, and they do authentic New York pizza, and after my first bite, I realized how good a proper thin crust pizza is.

The OP didn't get a good slice, he needs to find another place that sells New York style pizza and see if his opinion changes.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #79
Madurodave

My Ride: X3,Z4,530xi
My favorite now is....Mine!

Thin crust, my sauce, toppings I choose on my pie! I cook it on my Primo grill using natural lump charcoal. That smoky wood flavor puts it over the top!
Madurodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #80
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
"New York style" is basically real Italian-style pizza, and there's a bunch of Italians in California, so no - I've never deemed this as a problem unless you're talking about the grease levels involved.
actually it is different. The reason people outside of ny can't get the same taste is because of ny water. No joke. I can't remember the place but theres a pizzaria in Cali owned by native new yorkers that actually get containers of NY water shipped to him. same goes with bagels.