E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
beemteam

My Ride: 325xi
WARNING!! Aluminum thermostats!!BEWARE!

I thought I was doing a good thing by replacing my failing thermostat with one with an aluminum housing. After replacing it everything was fine for a day then my car just died in the middle of traffic on day 2! I thought the fuel pump went out but after some research (and a new $220 fuel pump) I found out it was the fuel pump fuse!

But why was the fuse blowing? Someone on the forum said replace the thermostat so I unplugged the electrical connection on the thermostat replaced the fuse and voalaa! The car cranked right up! Why the thermostat is blowing the fuel pump fuse is still a mystery to me but I'm just going to leave well enough alone and leave the aluminum thermostat in and keep it unplugged, the car is running fine, all the guages are still functioning fine and I haven't experienced anything abnormal so far.

I guess that the electrical connection on the thermostat is for the OBDII, but I keep an eye on my water temp guage just out of habit anyway.

If anyone knows what the connection does feel free to share. Information is M-POWER!!!! Thanks and safe motoring to you all.
beemteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
beemteam

In this same vein, my mechanic said it may not be the thermostat itself but I may have a bad wire on the connector end. Just a thought. Still... beware of the aluminum.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
They are junk. Remove it and send it back for a refund. They short out as you have found out. Where did you buy it. Other vendors removed them from their sites a long time ago.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
+1 they are crap. We had a discussion on this in the general e46 section. Bad item to buy.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
My aluminum, aftermarket, TStat seemed to work fine since I installed it over 1 year ago. However, when I read my codes, recently, I get a code indicating my thermostat is "stuck open." The CEL has *not* illuminated. I read codes only because of another unrelated issue.

The coolant temperature floats around 85-89C when fully warmed up, which seemed a little cool to me ( the OEM unit is labelled as a 97C unit, FWIW).

I now have an OEM, plastic one in-hand.

Other than the too-cool temperature, the unit seems fine. Still, I'm going back to OEM.

Last edited by latitude39; 02-27-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Correction
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
beemteam

Question

Going back to the OEM ASAP! Thanks Guys! Next stop Cold air intake, any suggestions or warnings on a system?

Last edited by beemteam; 02-28-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Not worth it either. I had an AFE one and it sounded INCREDIBLE. But it had a lot of heat soak and rattled a lot. Went back to OEM and couldn't be happier.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Not worth it either. I had an AFE one and it sounded INCREDIBLE. But it had a lot of heat soak and rattled a lot. Went back to OEM and couldn't be happier.
saved me $300 haha

$300 going for cosmetic, She needs that kinda love now lolz

sent from phone to bimmer app
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I love my BMW Performance intake.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
beemteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post

Thanks for ALL the input guy's I'm just going to upgrade My air filter to a quality one like K&N or something, and be done with it.