E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Hey hey, the White House is now threatening reporters that bring up Obama's "I had nothing to do with this" lie.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/27/wh...ng-this-video/
Quote:
On Wednesday's broadcast of CNN's "The Situation Room," The Washington Post's Bob Woodward told host Wolf Blitzer that the White House has begun threatening him and trying to make him "uncomfortable," all because of his report last week that President Barack Obama repeatedly lied about advocating for the sequester trigger.

Knowing that the explosive allegation is "irrefutable," Woodward said, White House officials refused to go on CNN to defend the president, and instead opted for intimidation tactics. (RELATED - Woodward's allegation: Obama pushed for sequester trigger, then blamed GOP for it)

BLITZER: Take us behind the scenes, the allegations being hurled against you right now. You're used to this kind of stuff, but share with our viewers what's going on between you and the White House.
WOODWARD: Well, they're not happy at all and some people kind of, you know, said, 'Look, we don't see eye-to-eye on this. They never really said, though, afterwards, they've said that this is factually wrong, and they - and it was said to me in an e-mail by a top -
BLITZER: What was said?
WOODWARD: It was said very clearly, 'You will regret doing this.'

BLITZER: Who sent that e-mail to you?
WOODWARD: Well, I'm not going to say.
BLITZER: Was it a senior person at the White House?
WOODWARD: A very senior person
. And just as a matter - I mean, it makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, you're going to regret doing something that you believe in, and even though we don't look at it that way, we do look at it that way. and it's, I think if Barack Obama knew that was part of the communication's strategy - let's hope it's not a strategy, but it's a tactic that somebody's employed, and said, look, we don't go around trying to say to reporters, if you, in an honest way, present something we don't like, that, you know, you're regret this. It's Mickey Mouse.
Link references live TV from CNN's The Situation Room

I don't understand how this is happening and no one cares. You can hate GW all you want but stuff like this never happened. Dude took his lumps like a man.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-27-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #42
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
^^^If that's the whole story and accurate, that's pretty fvcked up.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #43
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
^^^If that's the whole story and accurate, that's pretty fvcked up.
+1

Makes my dislike for politicians and Obama in general go up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom
Europeans are stoopid. They keep splitting countries, while being jealous of our powa. Of course the EU is good for them, but does that have any real power?

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
^^^If that's the whole story and accurate, that's pretty fvcked up.
Chicago Style Deep Dish Intimidation
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #45
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Chicago Style Deep Dish Intimidation
Sounds diabolically delicious.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #46
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Chicago Style Deep Dish Intimidation
Al Capone?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom
Europeans are stoopid. They keep splitting countries, while being jealous of our powa. Of course the EU is good for them, but does that have any real power?

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #47
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 538
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Go hold a political discussion with your average American and then report back here.
But you are the average American.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #48
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
But you are the average American.
Average as it pertains to what?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom
Europeans are stoopid. They keep splitting countries, while being jealous of our powa. Of course the EU is good for them, but does that have any real power?

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #49
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Politico is in on the threat story, nice

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...2.html?hp=t1_3
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #50
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,461
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Sequestration means I'll get four day work weeks for a few months
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #51
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Politico is in on the threat story, nice

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...2.html?hp=t1_3
This story is now front and center on www.cnn.com

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...use/?hpt=hp_t1
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 104
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I don't understand how this is happening and no one cares.
CNN certainly cares, having it as a main, "top of fold" item on their Web site. Juries still out as to whether some genuine intimidation occurred, which of course is a very bad thing, or whether Woodward is inflating and distorting things for self-aggrandizement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You can hate GW all you want but stuff like this never happened. Dude took his lumps like a man.
Hah, GW and the GOP, and their Fox News proxy wing, were notorious for railing against the "Main Stream Media" throughout his term, beleaguering reporters and editors as biased, unpatriotic, treasonous and worse. Bush, and especially Cheney, treated them with unadulterated scorn and contempt; manipulating, deceiving or just avoiding them however possible.

They didn't limit themselves to the press either as the whole Valeria Plame / Joseph C. Wilson affair is but one sad example of what occurred to someone who even tangentially crossed their own agenda, the propaganda lead up to the Iraq War debacle in this case.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #53
325seeeye
Core Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rocket City
Posts: 1,163
My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
No discussion at all here?
I considered this thread to be the continual "fiscal cliff / sequester" thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963226

The blame game is a joke. From both politicians, and the masses that argue on their behalf. Somehow the real issue of making a decent long-term fiscal plan is lost in the finger pointing.
__________________

Last edited by 325seeeye; 02-28-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1362072168
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #54
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
I considered this thread to be the continual "fiscal cliff / sequester" thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963226

The blame game is a joke. From both politicians, and the masses that argue on their behalf. Somehow the real issue of making a decent long-term fiscal plan is lost in the finger pointing.
In the corporate world when management is not performing or doing their responsibilities they are quickly replaced. However, the opposite is true within our government. Don't do your job, get a pat on the back and get reelected.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom
Europeans are stoopid. They keep splitting countries, while being jealous of our powa. Of course the EU is good for them, but does that have any real power?

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #55
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 104
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Than whose fault is that in the end, really? The politician taking advantage of this or the voter unwilling to vote that bum out of office?

Of course, the reality is far more complex, but in the end, the government we get is the government each and every one of us votes for.

That all said, circa 2012 the voters clearly opted for the Democrats (yes, even in the House if one looks at cumulative votes) and all polls show Americans clearly favoring of the Dem's approach to our fiscal issues (a balance of cuts and revenues done over time). Obvious question: why then are the Republicans ignoring both the election results and the preferences of the American people in pushing for their cut's-only austerity approach to our long term fiscal issues? Aren't they the ones now out of touch to the wishes of the American people and if so, why and then whose wishes are they more in touch with?
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #56
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Than whose fault is that in the end, really? The politician taking advantage of this or the voter unwilling to vote that bum out of office?

Of course, the reality is far more complex, but in the end, the government we get is the government each and every one of us votes for.

That all said, circa 2012 the voters clearly opted for the Democrats (yes, even in the House if one looks at cumulative votes) and all polls show Americans clearly favoring of the Dem's approach to our fiscal issues (a balance of cuts and revenues done over time). Obvious question: why then are the Republicans ignoring both the election results and the preferences of the American people in pushing for their cut's-only austerity approach to our long term fiscal issues? Aren't they the ones now out of touch to the wishes of the American people and if so, why and then whose wishes are they more in touch with?

The democrats don't want cuts, come on now at least be honest. They may give lip service to it, but there has not been one cut for as long as I can remember. Whenever Obama talks about cuts he is referring to "proposed" spending years in the future. You didn't make any cuts unless you are spending less money than you did the year prior. When's the last time that happened?

http://nation.foxnews.com/jobs/2013/...-sequestration

Lol Maxine Waters says we may lose "170 million" jobs due to sequestration. Really? REALLY?
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-28-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #57
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 104
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
And Republicans don't want revenues, to be honest, but won't even give lip service to that. Or cuts to programs they hold sacrosanct (read: any defense item, at all, ever.)

Personally, I've always thought Congress and the Prez should simply have adopted the Simpson/Bowles plan -- a mix of cuts and revenues -- down to the letter and just be done with it. Is that perfect? Of course not, but it is far less imperfect than these continually manufactured fiscal crises being foisted upon us.

Pure austerity approaches have proved disasterous in practice (example 1: Europe) and most economists say that they would harm the economy far more than help it. Also, as mentioned, the American people themselves clearly want a balanced approach to balancing our budget, definitely NOT the cuts only paradigm espoused by the GOP. Perhaps the people's representatives should represent the people here and come up with a balanced approach.

As for Maxine Waters, I wouldn't trust her if she declared water to be wet. She's Fox's convenient go-to clown when they need some ridiculous statement on, well, most anything.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #58
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
And Republicans don't want revenues, to be honest, but won't even give lip service to that. Or cuts to programs they hold sacrosanct (read: any defense item, at all, ever.)

Personally, I've always thought Congress and the Prez should simply have adopted the Simpson/Bowles plan -- a mix of cuts and revenues -- down to the letter and just be done with it. Is that perfect? Of course not, but it is far less imperfect than these continually manufactured fiscal crises being foisted upon us.

Pure austerity approaches have proved disasterous in practice (example 1: Europe) and most economists say that they would harm the economy far more than help it. Also, as mentioned, the American people themselves clearly want a balanced approach to balancing our budget, definitely NOT the cuts only paradigm espoused by the GOP. Perhaps the people's representatives should represent the people here and come up with a balanced approach.

As for Maxine Waters, I wouldn't trust her if she declared water to be wet. She's Fox's convenient go-to clown when they need some ridiculous statement on, well, most anything.
We have plenty of revenue. My wife an I make a decent amount of money. If I bought a 23 million dollar home tomorrow, we would be broke in not time. That doesn't negate the fact that we have plenty of revenue. Are you trying to tell me that there isn't a MASSIVE waste problem (Im not even going to call it a spending problem) in Washington?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #59
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 104
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Oh, as for Woodward's assertions, perhaps not quite as he presents it:
Bob Woodward Trolls the World

Bob Woodward, the legendary Watergate reporter turned reliable chronicler of insider accounts of political events, has made a series of bizarre assertions over the past week.

It started with Woodward's odd weekend assertion that the White House is trying "to move the goalposts" by replacing sequestration with a deficit reduction package that includes tax hikes. The idea of sequestration was always that it was something elected officials were going to want to replace with alternative deficit reduction. Republicans have been trying to replace it with a package of cuts targeted at income support programs for the poor. Obama's been trying to replace it with a mixture of spending cuts and tax hikes. Either everyone's moving the goalposts (which I think is tendentious but even-handed) or no one is moving them. But it really intensified Wednesday morning when Woodward went on Morning Joe to suggest it's crazy of Obama to be applying the law as written to the military, instead of simply ignoring it.

Things moved into the absurd Wednesday night when it was revealed that National Economic Council director Gene Sperling had concluded an email disagreement with Woodward with the observation that in Sperling's view Woodward would come to regret clinging so tenaciously to an untenable position. As if determined to prove Sperling right, Woodward chose to start talking around town about how Sperling had threatened him-a ridiculous interpretation that the ridiculous conservative media has been running with-rather than sticking with the obvious interpretation that Woodward's reputation among journalists is going to suffer from flagrant wrongness.
There's more to this piece, but perhaps thing's (again) aren't quite as Fox "News" inflates them to seem.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #60
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
We have plenty of revenue. My wife an I make a decent amount of money. If I bought a 23 million dollar home tomorrow, we would be broke in not time. That doesn't negate the fact that we have plenty of revenue. Are you trying to tell me that there isn't a MASSIVE waste problem (Im not even going to call it a spending problem) in Washington?
While we do have lots of revenue, we are well below the average.

Federal tax receipts as a percentage of GDP are pretty damn low.....in fact, they haven't been this low in about 60 years. Unfortunately are spending is up, too, so that's not a good combination. What we need is more revenue, less spending.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use