E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #61
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
While we do have lots of revenue, we are well below the average.

Federal tax receipts as a percentage of GDP are pretty damn low.....in fact, they haven't been this low in about 60 years. Unfortunately are spending is up, too, so that's not a good combination. What we need is more revenue, less spending.
But...but...
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #62
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
While we do have lots of revenue, we are well below the average.

Federal tax receipts as a percentage of GDP are pretty damn low.....in fact, they haven't been this low in about 60 years. Unfortunately are spending is up, too, so that's not a good combination. What we need is more revenue, less spending.
Agree to disagree then. The government should fit the revenue, not vice versa. How much money did the feds spend last year on "events?"

Just a small example...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-for-personal/
Obviously that is a small amount of money, but remember, someone has to work hard to pay for that.....doesn't seem fair in my book...liberals are all about fair right?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-28-2013 at 02:50 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #63
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Sucks to lose 20% of my pay because of a "manufactured" crisis. To the many DoD employees, this is very real and it affects a lot more than just us losing 20% of our pay... At the end of the day, I won't complain because I'm fortunate enough to actually have a job. Hope politicians sort this mess out soon!

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #64
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Agree to disagree then. The government should fit the revenue, not vice versa. How much money did the feds spend last year on "events?"

Just a small example...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-for-personal/
Obviously that is a small amount of money, but remember, someone has to work hard to pay for that.....doesn't seem fair in my book...liberals are all about fair right?
Life isn't fair, so you would have to ask someone else. Also, if those officials are using an employer sponsored jet for personal use, they most likely are having to pay income tax on that perk. Although, it's arguable that these high ranking individuals need to fly private for security/safety reasons.

Edit: Also, while focusing on issues like this is easy and makes for a good headline, we're not going to get anywhere with complaining about a cost that represents .00005% of total receipts.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 02-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #65
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Life isn't fair, so you would have to ask someone else. Also, if those officials are using an employer sponsored jet for personal use, they most likely are having to pay income tax on that perk. Although, it's arguable that these high ranking individuals need to fly private for security/safety reasons.
My point is simple. The government WASTES a heap of money. More more than the entire economies of some nations. I'm not even talking about programs that I don't agree with. I'm talking about straight waste. They have no accountability and to expect the people to pay for their carte blanche spending practices is borderline absurd. When these scumbag politicians make real, meaningful cuts to WASTE (again, I'm not talking about programs or entitlements even) then maybe we can talk about revenue.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #66
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Sucks to lose 20% of my pay because of a "manufactured" crisis. To the many DoD employees, this is very real and it affects a lot more than just us losing 20% of our pay... At the end of the day, I won't complain because I'm fortunate enough to actually have a job. Hope politicians sort this mess out soon!
That sucks. One would think the government would cut it's spending on new defense technologies and research not the service members and/or DoD employees.

Cuts did have to be made though...
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 02-28-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #67
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'm thinking service members are exempt. That's the last word I heard, though.

J6 sent around an e-mail saying we'd have a special NIPR homepage tomorrow explaining the furlough to us.

Like swish said, I'm happy I have a job that I enjoy. Especially with an organization that's been described as a "black hole of spending".
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #68
mtgswede

My Ride: '13 335ixdriveMsport
More like Sequester the next Obama Fail. Expect a ton of spin and backpedal tomorrow when planes don't start dropping out of the sky and chaos doesn't ensue. Reversing the size of This Govt is a good thing. Woodward is a hero for having the honesty to call Obama out on this own. Obama owns this mess.
mtgswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #69
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Obama already back pedaled on the sky is falling stuff, now he's saying you may not feel it but it's happening and it's bad lol

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #70
Swish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Obama already back pedaled on the sky is falling stuff, now he's saying you may not feel it but it's happening and it's bad lol
Serious question... What's so funny? I realize the sky may not be falling, but this is a serious matter to some of us that are affected. It not only directly affects us, it affects all the businesses in this local community. Maybe I'm taking your post wrong, and I apologize if I am...

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #71
Act of God

Quote:
Serious question... What's so funny? I realize the sky may not be falling, but this is a serious matter to some of us that are affected. It not only directly affects us, it affects all the businesses in this local community. Maybe I'm taking your post wrong, and I apologize if I am...
No problem.

The sequester cuts are literally 2% give or take out of our budget. If you honestly think there isn't at least 2% of waste, inefficiency or bullsh!t in our spending then there is no reason in even discussing things with you.

It is funny because the celebrity that demanded sequester is the same celebrity that is blaming other people for it. At that same time, it is absolutely hilarious that no one even gives a crap that he's lying about what he said in 2011 and lying to your faces about the state of our economy. Most people are so invested like it is a Yankees v. Red Sox playoff series that they literally don't care if the country burns to the ground so long as the side they were rooting for (that doesn't care about them, at all) wins.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #72
mtgswede

My Ride: '13 335ixdriveMsport
Quote:
Welcome to the reality of economics. Private sector has had to cut back and reduce staff to get through this cycle of the economy, it's about time the Govt did too. Even with these cuts we are still spending more than we did in previous years and we are only talking about a 2% reduction in current spending, hardly a dent IMO. Sorry if your affected but where were you when private sector companies were laying off millions? Our govt needs to become much more efficient and lean. If that means layoffs than so be it. This can't continue to go on without seriously hurting future generations. I find it funny that government employees feel so entitled to guaranteed employment no matter what. Just tax someone else into oblivion so I can keep my cushy govt job. And yes I'm exaggerating to make a point
mtgswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #73
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I wrote our furlough plan yesterday. Right now, our directorate will be five out on Mondays and five out on Fridays from mid-April through September.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #74
bimmerfan08

Obama presses Congress for deal to end spending cuts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Just hours after across-the-board spending cuts officially took effect, President Barack Obama pressed Congress on Saturday to work with him on a compromise to halt a fiscal crisis he said was starting to "inflict pain" on communities across the United States.

Obama and a bipartisan group of congressional leaders failed on Friday to avoid the deep spending reductions known as the "sequester," which automatically kicked in overnight in the latest sign of dysfunction in a divided Washington.

If left in place without legislative remedy, government agencies will have to hack a total of $85 billion from their budgets between Saturday and October 1, cuts that over time could cause economic harm, slash jobs and curb military readiness.

"These cuts are not smart," Obama said in his weekly radio and Internet address. "They will hurt our economy and cost us jobs. And Congress can turn them off at any time - as soon as both sides are willing to compromise."

Obama signed an order on Friday night that started putting the cuts into effect.

At the heart of Washington's persistent fiscal showdowns is disagreement over how to slash the budget deficit and the $16 trillion national debt, bloated over the years by wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and government stimulus for the ailing economy.

The Democratic president wants to close the fiscal gap with spending cuts and tax hikes - what he calls a "balanced approach." But Republicans do not want to concede again on taxes after doing so in negotiations over the "fiscal cliff" at the New Year.

"The discussion about revenue, in my view, is over. It's about taking on the spending problem," John Boehner, the Republican House of Representatives speaker, said on leaving the talks between Obama and congressional leaders on Friday.

As Obama and his aides have done for weeks, the president in his radio address offered a litany of hardships he said would flow from the sequester, saying, "Severe budget cuts ... have already started to inflict pain on communities across the country."

"Beginning this week, businesses that work with the military will have to lay folks off. Communities near military bases will take a serious blow. Hundreds of thousands of Americans who serve their country - Border Patrol agents, FBI agents, civilians who work for the Defense Department - will see their wages cut and their hours reduced," he said.

"The longer these cuts remain in place, the greater the damage," he said. "Economists estimate they could eventually cost us more than 750,000 jobs and slow our economy by over one-half of one percent." Despite that, financial markets shrugged off the stalemate on Friday.

NO SIGNS OF NEGOTIATIONS

While Obama has put the blame for the cuts on Republicans' intransigence and their determination to protect tax breaks for the wealthy, Republicans insist he is responsible for the fiscal predicament. They also accuse him of exaggerating the expected impact.

Obama appealed for Republicans to work with Democrats on a deal, saying Americans were weary of seeing Washington "careen from one manufactured crisis to another." But he offered no new ideas to resolve the situation, and there was no immediate sign of any negotiations planned over the weekend.

"There's a caucus of common sense (in Congress)," Obama said. "And I'm going to keep reaching out to them to fix this for good."

One reason for the inaction in Washington is that both parties still hope the other will either be blamed by voters for the cuts or cave in before the worst effects predicted by Democrats come into effect.

A Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday showed 28 percent of Americans blamed congressional Republicans for the sequestration mess, 18 percent thought Obama was responsible and 4 percent blamed congressional Democrats. Thirty-seven percent blamed them all, according the online poll.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-lurc...005547660.html

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 03-02-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #75
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgswede View Post
Welcome to the reality of economics. Private sector has had to cut back and reduce staff to get through this cycle of the economy, it's about time the Govt did too. Even with these cuts we are still spending more than we did in previous years and we are only talking about a 2% reduction in current spending, hardly a dent IMO. Sorry if your affected but where were you when private sector companies were laying off millions? Our govt needs to become much more efficient and lean. If that means layoffs than so be it. This can't continue to go on without seriously hurting future generations. I find it funny that government employees feel so entitled to guaranteed employment no matter what. Just tax someone else into oblivion so I can keep my cushy govt job. And yes I'm exaggerating to make a point
They have.

Not saying they should be immune from cuts, but they've already taken a reduction.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #76
Act of God

Even with the sequester cuts we are spending far more than last year. I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #77
bimmerfan08

Quote:
They have.

Not saying they should be immune from cuts, but they've already taken a reduction.
good
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #78
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Even with the sequester cuts we are spending far more than last year. I don't see what the big deal is.
The usual site that I use for spending/budget data (just the numbers, no commentary) is saying that the 2012 and 2013 budgets are extremely close on the Federal level......both $3.8T if I'm remembering right. Now, that could be wrong, but I haven't been able to find anything that's just the numbers.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #79
Swish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgswede View Post
Welcome to the last 10 years of DOD! We've taken cuts for a loooooong time now. Thing is, DoD provides a service the private sector does not, so no need to compare the two. I was most likely deployed when the private sector was laying off people, experiencing government cuts, providing medical attention in a CAS because the government felt it was a good idea to cut money vs. provide up-armored protection for the troops... How many lives were lost in the private sector when they cut employees/budget again? Get out of here with that man, it's apples to oranges.

Last edited by Swish; 03-02-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #80
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Welcome to the last 10 years of DOD! We've taken cuts for a loooooong time now. Thing is, DoD provides a service the private sector does not, so no need to compare the two. I was most likely deployed when the private sector was laying off people, experiencing government cuts, providing medical attention in a CAS because the government felt it was a good idea to cut money vs. provide up-armored protection for the troops... How many lives were lost in the private sector when they cut employees/budget again? Get out of here with that man, it's apples to oranges.
Naturally the DoD is going to be one of the first to go under the knife. It's up there in receiving the most funding out of all of the departments. Don't take it personal Kevin, but in speaking with a lot of service men and women firsthand, there is a lot of waste and inefficiency within the DoD. Should we be slashing spending and jeopardizing troops in areas of combat? No. However it is something that needs to be done. One cannot expect to squeeze the private sector to make the government comfy. An optimistic approach would be, "well we are receiving less funding, so here is our chance to optimize and increase efficiency in our operations and spending". Bright minds will figure out how to stretch the dollars further to get more bang for the buck. This happens all the time in the private sector. Having to tighten the belt buckle isn't always a bad sign.

See page 59 of this PDF in regards to DoD breakdown of spending for 2012:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ets/budget.pdf

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 03-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.