E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
What happened to my display?

Started it to see this, it's not running rough. It's not in limp mode. Drives perfect. Restarted and it's back to normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1456343351559.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	625086  
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
Mines been soft failing like that for the last month too.

I believe its the cold weather that is causing the pixels to not really work, everything seems to fix itself once it gets warm in the car.

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Cowspoo

I was thinking that he dim display was connected to this event as well. This was full brightness, while for the past month it's been about half luminosity.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
325ie4601

My Ride: 03 325i
I agree with Nicker, when i leave mine outside over night when its mid to low 30's the pixels seem to go on the odo display and the radio but always come back when its warmed up

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
325ie4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The picture is an indication that there's a bad connection on the circuit board that holds the display. Metal shrinks when it gets cold so I bet that there's a bad solder joint.

Solution is to pull the gauge cluster (disconnect the battery before you start), and to examine the board with a magnifying glass. Then, using a low wattage soldering iron (15 watts) and some fine solder, reflow the suspect solder joints.

Looking at the picture it appears that the LCD assembly is getting power. The issue is that one or more of the "addressing" conductors aren't working properly.

"Addressing": each pixel on an LCD panel has an address. When a pixel is supposed to be illuminated the display controller sends power to the address.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Aliens are trying to send you encoded messages. Just ignore them and they'll go away soon enough.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Cowspoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The picture is an indication that there's a bad connection on the circuit board that holds the display. Metal shrinks when it gets cold so I bet that there's a bad solder joint.

Solution is to pull the gauge cluster (disconnect the battery before you start), and to examine the board with a magnifying glass. Then, using a low wattage soldering iron (15 watts) and some fine solder, reflow the suspect solder joints.

Looking at the picture it appears that the LCD assembly is getting power. The issue is that one or more of the "addressing" conductors aren't working properly.

"Addressing": each pixel on an LCD panel has an address. When a pixel is supposed to be illuminated the display controller sends power to the address.
Super helpful, that would also follow with the display working properly but displaying at or around half brightness? I just learned how to solder in the fall, this will be fun.

I think if I disconnect the battery - I won't have the yellow dot from tampering, correct?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The brightness issue is most likely caused by either low voltage or a bad LED. These displays are illuminated from the rear by LEDs. Reflow soldering may help but I'd check the voltage getting to the display from the lighting control module (LKM).

The yellow tampering dot will not rear its ugly head. The dot appears when there's a mismatch between the LKM and the cluster. Mileage is stored in the LKM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
Cowspoo

Very understandable. Thank you. I also keep getting a CEL from low voltage to my o2 2-1. I'll have my alt and battery checked. My battery is at 12.9-13.1v when running, has never had startup problems though. Still have the original somehow.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Running voltage should be 13+volts

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, just lots of new parts, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote