E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
jrjkmorris

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Loud sound coming from left front wheel

Hi all,

I have a 2004 330xi with 140k miles on it and recently there has been a sound coming from the left front wheel when driving. Sort of a growling sound that is definitely not engine noise or anything in the wheel well or under the car etc. It's load sensitive - so when I take a long gradual turn to the left and therefore more load is on the front right tire, the noise drops considerably. I'm guessing, based on what I've read here and sort of just what my gut tells me that it's a wheel bearing. My questions are this...

1. Has anyone have any similar experience and can you confirm that it's a wheel bearing?
2. Does anyone have a rough guess on what this will cost to repair? I'm a diy guy but don't plan on doing this one myself unless someone can tell me that it's easy.
3. Does anyone have a good mechanic that they can recommend in the Wakefield, MA area?

Thanks in advance for any help.
jrjkmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjkmorris View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2004 330xi with 140k miles on it and recently there has been a sound coming from the left front wheel when driving. Sort of a growling sound that is definitely not engine noise or anything in the wheel well or under the car etc. It's load sensitive - so when I take a long gradual turn to the left and therefore more load is on the front right tire, the noise drops considerably. I'm guessing, based on what I've read here and sort of just what my gut tells me that it's a wheel bearing. My questions are this...

1. Has anyone have any similar experience and can you confirm that it's a wheel bearing?
2. Does anyone have a rough guess on what this will cost to repair? I'm a diy guy but don't plan on doing this one myself unless someone can tell me that it's easy.
3. Does anyone have a good mechanic that they can recommend in the Wakefield, MA area?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jack the car up and feel for any wheel play. If its a bearing you should feel some. Also spin the wheel by hand with the car jacked up and listen carefully to the sound of the bearing.

Changing the bearing is very simple, the problem is that most ppl do not have the tools required to do so.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
search for a thread I started called something like "what is this WAA WAA WAA sound"? Lots of good info in there and the harbor freight kit you can buy to DIY. Fronts are much easier than the rears, but it's a bitch to diagnose which one it is.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
chris10492

My Ride: 14 Camaro 06 R1
Sounds like a wheel bearing. I can't remember if it has an upper control arm or not. But I'm leaning towards a no. But anyhow, jack up the car on the frame and grab the tire on top and bottom and push and pull in an in and out motion. And should feel some play. Also you can spin the tire and and listen or put your hand around the spring and you should feel some rumbling.
chris10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
I would say it is a wheel bearing. Sound like there is a flat spot causing a thumping noise? or does it sound like it goes away at higher speeds? I did my front right last winter. I am new to DIY, pretty handy but it was overall a very easy job. Shop would probably charge 2 hours of work. Bavarian Auto in Winchester or Auto Engineering in Lexington are good. I would do it myself though. $100 part, 2-3 hours of work. Only tools I didn't have were torque wrench, 46mm socket, race bearing installer but easy finds.

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote