E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
fw190a8

My Ride: Car
Dynavin D99+ 3G modem

I registered because after a couple of hours of searching I couldn't find any information on this at all, and I'm hoping someone will know the answer.

I've got an Android D99+ installed in my A3 (but you guys here at E46fanatics seemed to be most in the know about Dynavin!) and I'm disappointed to find that it won't wifi tether with my phone (brand new Nexus 4).

I have the USB cable available, and I'm aware that I will need a separate data SIM, so can I use any USB 3G adapter with this unit, or will only specific ones work? Is there a compatibility list somewhere? If it's only the official Dynavin 3G modem that will work, where would I get one of those? Is there a list of stockists somewhere?

I'm disappointed by the tethering thing really, as by all accounts it should just work, but if that's not an option, then a dedicated 3G adapter is going to be the only way, and the Android unit is not particularly useful without a data connection!

I'm grateful for any help on this.
fw190a8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
back up a step.....why is it not tethering via wifi? Is the wifi antenna plugged in? Is it plugged into the right USB port? (should be GPS USB).

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 02-28-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1362090115
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
fw190a8

Thanks for the swift reply.

So I believe the wifi is connected properly because it can scan for networks, and it will connect to my home network without issue.

I just spent a good long time trying to get it to connect to my phone. Most of the time it starts with "connecting", moves to "authenticating", then to "obtaining IP address" and then says "disconnected".

Out of about 20 attempts, it did connect twice, but while connected, had no data, as web pages would not load at all.

I use my phone's portable hotspot on my Nexus 7 tablet, which can connect and use its internet without issue, so I can't say it's the phone.

Obviously without data the unit can't provide me with any navigation, and I can't play Angry Birds while waiting at traffic lights (frankly why own a car if you can't do that?!) so I'd be keen to get up and running and get the unit online somehow if possible.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
J&T Distributing

find out if your phone's wifi is "ad hoc" or "infrastructure". Only infrastructure works with the dynavin, its by far the most common and the most current but a few phones use ad hoc.... Also try check your security settings, try making the wifi key something simple, just numbers or something, see if that changes anything.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
fw190a8

So as far as the Wifi hotspot on the Nexus 4 goes, I have a Nexus 7 tablet that can only connect to infrastructure Wifi and the two can communicate fine. Also, the Dynavin will actually (unreliably) connect to the phone, it's just that once (if) it's connected, it does not seem to be able to transmit any data.

There are three Wifi modes on the Nexus 4: open, WPA/PSK, and WPA2/PSK. I have tried all of these, with simple numerical passwords (open doesn't have a password of course). The password is required to be at least 8 characters in length.

Nothing makes a difference, and the Dynavin is still unable to connect to the phone's hotspot, frustratingly.

Thanks for your help so far, but I'm also after an answer to my original question if possible, regarding the acquisition of a 3G modem for the unit.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
J&T Distributing

dont know then, perhaps the wifi antenna is bad, does it work with a regular home or business wifi?

As for the 3G setup, its not something we sell or support, so I cant be of much help there.....
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
AZNQTip

My Ride: 2006 MB C230
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but im experiencing the exact problem. Was there any resolution to this? Personally im using a Pantech Vega No 6 as my hotspot with not problem on other devices.
AZNQTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
fw190a8

There was never a reply on the original question. I have just given up entirely on using the online features of the unit. This includes the GPS unfortunately.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
AZNQTip

My Ride: 2006 MB C230
Thats a bummer, is there no workaround at all? I know my unit worked on some phones and home network. I just got my phone not too long ago, wife would kill me if i had to switch
AZNQTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
fw190a8

Just so you know dude, I bought a Huawei E5331, which is branded in the UK as a Three Mifi adapter (http://www.tesco.com/direct/three-1g...o/195-7191.prd for example).

The Dynavin can connect to that, but it's less than ideal for a few reasons:
  • It only stays powered on for about 6 hours, so if you leave it overnight and get back in the car, you have to rummage in the glove compartment to power it on before you start each journey.
  • It needs power. Luckily you can power it from the USB connection of the Dynavin, but of course, the Dynavin thinks it's a USB device with music on it or something, so it plays havoc with the Dynavin every time the car turns on.
  • You need a separate data connection solely for this device, which costs more money. I ended up using GiffGaff's 5/month service, but all told, paying 60/year just because you bought an expensive device that is rubbish isn't a sensible option, so I gave up.

The A2DP bluetooth connection on my Dynavin also broke months ago by the way, for no apparent reason, so I'm left with a glorified radio/mp3 player.

Tags
3g, d99+, dynavin