E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Overtraining

Is it a myth? After about 90 min non-stop lifting, my body cannot take it, I have to stop. The next day sometimes I have to take it off, so I can recover. But I read that some guys lifting 2 hours a day every single day.

Do you agree with this:
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
This quote is regarding calorie cutting, but it applies to training as well in reverse:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Berkhan
A calorie deficit is a recovery deficit. Avoid deficit spending.
Essentially, you reach a critical point where any additional training beyond this point is hurting your progress rather than helping it.

The longer your training experience, the harder it is to reach this point.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Over-training can occur, but I think the subject matter is convoluted. Dude in the video has a point.......train hard, train often, and get the volume up.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Amount of sleep and how much you eat has a direct effect on whether you're overtraining or not.

Since I started using xtend (bcaa) preworkout awhile ago, I feel I can work out longer and do cardio after without feeling totally wrecked when I'm done.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
I think there is definitely some sense to what he and the others have said so far. Overtraining is not a bad thing if you supplement your body with enough fuel to make it happen. HOWEVER,

If you are an idiot like me, and just do more than your muscles can handle weight / resistance wise, you'll overtrain that way an get injured.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
All I heard was motherfvcker.

I've over trained before, I would be EXHAUSTED and completely depleted and worthless for the rest of the day. Increased my calories, everything was back to normal.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Training on the juice is completely different than all natty.

and..

LOL @ black people
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Nike11

My Ride: 2000 328i
It is very easy to overtrain if your not feeding your body. Nutrition and rest is key no matter what. Want to get big? You gotta eat big. Simple
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
u will either overtrain or most likely plateau. if you're younger and most athletic then Id take a deload every 6 or 8 weeks. Its hard to stay out of the gym for the week so do some light work like 50% of 1RM at most. Get in some yoga classes and stretch. meet some honies? deload week could be the greatest week of your life.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
The ability to handle additional training volume is built up over time. When you first start working out you might need to take every other or every third day off or even every other day if you are pushing it hard. After 5 years of training you workload when you were a beginner will look like childs play. Overtraining is real, but not if you are smart about it. If you're constantly feeling worn down or getting sick more often than you should then you should probably scale it back a bit.

Feeling worn out at the end of a long session could just be due to sub-par conditioning. That's why these fat poiwerlifters still do conditioning. Its not to stay lean, its to be able to make it through their entire training sessions....
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
That's literally the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm shocked that such mumbling ignorance could even spark a discussion. It's like listening to Lil Wayne - sounds cool, but no substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
That's literally the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm shocked that such mumbling ignorance could even spark a discussion. It's like listening to Lil Wayne - sounds cool, but no substance.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #13
z00

Sleep is messing it up for me. Some nights I only get 5-6 hours. I nap during the day for 2 hours but I still feel like I did not sleep enough.

How many mg of bcaa do you take? My MF protein has 5mg, I don't take them separately. I read many guys take them before and after workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
Amount of sleep and how much you eat has a direct effect on whether you're overtraining or not.

Since I started using xtend (bcaa) preworkout awhile ago, I feel I can work out longer and do cardio after without feeling totally wrecked when I'm done.

Last edited by z00; 03-01-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #14
z00

It's convoluted that's why I'm asking. It's hard to know what's enough. Some people go to the gym twice a day and work out for 1-2 hours each session.

Some people can only train 3-4 days a week, need to recover. After back and legs day I feel like I need 2 days of rest to be able to workout (even if a different muscle group) and push myself.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
z00

This makes sense. What exactly do you do for conditioning?

How to know if my conditioning is adequate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
The ability to handle additional training volume is built up over time. When you first start working out you might need to take every other or every third day off or even every other day if you are pushing it hard. After 5 years of training you workload when you were a beginner will look like childs play. Overtraining is real, but not if you are smart about it. If you're constantly feeling worn down or getting sick more often than you should then you should probably scale it back a bit.

Feeling worn out at the end of a long session could just be due to sub-par conditioning. That's why these fat poiwerlifters still do conditioning. Its not to stay lean, its to be able to make it through their entire training sessions....
Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #16
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Sleep is messing it up for me. Some nights I only get 5-6 hours. I nap during the day for 2 hours but I still feel like I did not sleep enough.

How many mg of bcaa do you take? My MF protein has 5mg, I don't take them separately. I read many guys take them before and after workouts.
Think I take 5 grams. I use one scoop mixed with a scoop of creatine. Sipping it during your workout is good too, but easier for me to take it before. Taking it after would be good, but I just do regular whey after instead.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
This makes sense. What exactly do you do for conditioning?

How to know if my conditioning is adequate?
I do all sorts of different stuff. Most of them are either heavy or have some sort of skill component like Olympic lifting or doubleunders or muscleups. One thing that helped me build some training capacity was to do low intensity stuff on rest days. Like run a few miles slowly, bike, walk, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Nike11

My Ride: 2000 328i
Best time to take BCAAs is after your workout(You can take before too or in morning). I take mine upon waking and after a workout. When you workout a muscle it take 48 Hours to fully recover(If your getting the right nutrition in).

As to you feeling so tired after legs and back(are you superseting them or what?) that you skip a day that could be do to lack of carbs

Quote:
It's convoluted that's why I'm asking. It's hard to know what's enough. Some people go to the gym twice a day and work out for 1-2 hours each session.

Some people can only train 3-4 days a week, need to recover. After back and legs day I feel like I need 2 days of rest to be able to workout (even if a different muscle group) and push myself.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
lol

I will say this... Some people do like to use "overtraining" as an excuse. It is an extremely over-used term, but very few actually know what it really is. It is very real and is something that happens long term. You just can't base it off a workout session. Variables like how you train, the intensity you train at, the frequency trained at during the week, the amount of volume you're doing, your rest/recovery period, proper nutrition, your progression (or lack there of), how you feel, etc... all play a very important roll.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
z00

I have not been doing any cardio. I'll start jumping rope with a 30lb vest. I do 1000 jumps in about 21min. I hate doing cardio inside a gym. Cannot wait for weather to get better to go biking.

Quote:
I do all sorts of different stuff. Most of them are either heavy or have some sort of skill component like Olympic lifting or doubleunders or muscleups. One thing that helped me build some training capacity was to do low intensity stuff on rest days. Like run a few miles slowly, bike, walk, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Interesting, I might not be taking enough carbs even on working out days. Maybe around 250g.

No, I go 5 days a week (chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs). Back and legs days I just feel more tired. I think it's lack of sleep and not getting enough carbs on working out days. Should I get a separate supplement for BCAAs? Or what's in MF protein is enough?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mu...rm/combat.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike11 View Post
Best time to take BCAAs is after your workout(You can take before too or in morning). I take mine upon waking and after a workout. When you workout a muscle it take 48 Hours to fully recover(If your getting the right nutrition in).

As to you feeling so tired after legs and back(are you superseting them or what?) that you skip a day that could be do to lack of carbs