E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #81
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
I think it's your commute. At freeway speeds, you do very little stop and starting. Your commute I would assume has plenty of stops and starts in it. You say your average speed is 50 mph on your commute. Taking your numbers of 12.5 miles in 20 minutes; that's an average of 37.5 mph. If it took you 25 minutes, that would lower the average to 30 mph. And don't forget, you're driving part of your commute with a cold engine so that alone lowers your mpg. If your commute was like mine (27 miles one way), you'd see better mpg. 500 miles of your daily commuting is very different than 500 miles one way of mostly freeway driving. I think the numbers you're seeing are in line with what you should expect.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 03-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #82
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
I think it's your commute. At freeway speeds, you do very little stop and starting. Your commute I would assume has plenty of stops and starts in it. You say your average speed is 50 mph on your commute. Taking your numbers of 12.5 miles in 20 minutes; that's an average of 37.5 mph. It's your commute.
yeah but would this commute equate to a 50% difference in gas mileage?
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #83
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
yeah but would this commute equate to a 50% difference in gas mileage?
In your situation, the answer is yes. Not sure how the automatics work but during my commute, I'm in 5th gear by 40 mph. I think it's just the nature of the beast you're dealing with.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #84
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
such a wild difference never experienced this with other cars. Going to test if letting the car warm up helps at all.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #85
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
such a wild difference never experienced this with other cars. Going to test if letting the car warm up helps at all.
Not sure if warming up the car will help. It may actually hurt your mpg. If it gets really cold where you are, maybe a block heater or oil pan heater will help. With a manual, it's better to just get moving and keep your rpms to no more than 2000 before shifting. I also don't run my heater until the car warms up; it seems to warm up faster.

With my Honda gas-electric hybrid, warming the car will result in a big reduction in mpg. But that car also has to be driven right to attain high mpg. I hear of people driving the same car but can't get more than 35 mpg when I can easily attain 45+ mpg. It's all in how they operate the car.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #86
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Not sure if warming up the car will help. It may actually hurt your mpg. If it gets really cold where you are, maybe a block heater or oil pan heater will help. With a manual, it's better to just get moving and keep your rpms to no more than 2000 before shifting. I also don't run my heater until the car warms up; it seems to warm up faster.

With my Honda gas-electric hybrid, warming the car will result in a big reduction in mpg. But that car also has to be driven right to attain high mpg. I hear of people driving the same car but can't get more than 35 mpg when I can easily attain 45+ mpg. It's all in how they operate the car.
yeah I think it might waste more also, will try to use manual shift mode and experiment with that. Still experimenting with neutral on hills or keep it in drive. I think the cutoff is the same I never went to 0% fuel trim when coasting down hills, I doubt it cuts off all fuel, that never really made much sense to me, I could be wrong but will experiment with neutral only on complete stops. how hard do you accelerate btw? because keeping it under 2k would in my mind mean real slow acceleration.

Last edited by gselsidi; 03-13-2013 at 12:10 AM.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #87
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
yeah I think it might waste more also, will try to use manual shift mode and experiment with that. Still experimenting with neutral on hills or keep it in drive. I think the cutoff is the same I never went to 0% fuel trim when coasting down hills, I doubt it cuts off all fuel, that never really made much sense to me, I could be wrong but will experiment with neutral only on complete stops. how hard do you accelerate btw? because keeping it under 2k would in my mind mean real slow acceleration.
I only keep it to 2000 rpm when it's cold. In city driving, I drive very conservatively anyways so I'm always in 5th gear by 40mph. I always coast in gear, never in neutral. I don't recommend it with an automatic either. If I accelerate hard, I'll usually shift from 3rd to 5th. I do downshift from 5th to 4th when changing lanes on the freeway-in-town. Some parts are 35 mph and I'll just put it in 4th gear and set the cruise; it usually cruises at about 40 mpg. I use my cruise-control very liberally since it's better at keeping a steady speed than I am.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #88
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
I only keep it to 2000 rpm when it's cold. In city driving, I drive very conservatively anyways so I'm always in 5th gear by 40mph. I always coast in gear, never in neutral. I don't recommend it with an automatic either. If I accelerate hard, I'll usually shift from 3rd to 5th. I do downshift from 5th to 4th when changing lanes on the freeway-in-town. Some parts are 35 mph and I'll just put it in 4th gear and set the cruise; it usually cruises at about 40 mpg. I use my cruise-control very liberally since it's better at keeping a steady speed than I am.
so your getting about 40mpg cruising? or you are cruising at 40mph? Yeah I cruise is much better at keeping the speed I noticed it when I had the instant mpg up on the menu, cruise would always go lower then me during acceleration.

Well I will coast in whatever gives me the most mpg, when I didn't use neutral at all I got 20mpg when I used neutral all the time at stops and coasts I got 25mpg, now I am testing coasting in gear and neutral only at lights.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #89
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
so your getting about 40mpg cruising? or you are cruising at 40mph? Yeah I cruise is much better at keeping the speed I noticed it when I had the instant mpg up on the menu, cruise would always go lower then me during acceleration.

Well I will coast in whatever gives me the most mpg, when I didn't use neutral at all I got 20mpg when I used neutral all the time at stops and coasts I got 25mpg, now I am testing coasting in gear and neutral only at lights.
Possible that you need to work the auto differently than a manual to get optimum mpg. I notice that my mother's 97 Honda Accord gets about 21-23 in the city but up to 34 on the freeway. It a 4 cyl with 4 speed auto. I can attain about 26 in the city but I'm easy on acceleration and coast when coming to a stop. Mom is usually pedal-to-the-metal and at 79, I'm not going to try and stop her LOL!
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #90
gselsidi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: fort lee
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2005 325i M56
My old acura was like a hybrid city or highway it would always avg 30mpg lol
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #91
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
My old acura was like a hybrid city or highway it would always avg 30mpg lol
Acuras are great cars. I had a '02 Type S and an '04 TL. Of the two, I liked the '02 better; it was faster and got better mpg. Took it on a road trip from Portland OR to Binghamton NY to Dallas TX and back to Portland. It averaged 35 mpg the entire trip. The '04 could manage only 24 mpg the entire time I had it.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use