E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
f4n4tik

My Ride: M-Sport 320Ci e46
Bmw vs audi!

So I'm seriously considering getting rid of my 04 320ci m sport coupe to possibly get an audi a4 b7 s-line Quattro. What do you guys think? How do they stack up against each other? Pros and cons for both.
f4n4tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
2 completely different cars. Manual / CVT / auto? What engine?

Obviously the driving dynamics and road feel are going to be unique to each car...

Why areyou changing?

Sent from my V9 using Bimmer App

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
2 completely different cars. Manual / CVT / auto? What engine?

Obviously the driving dynamics and road feel are going to be unique to each car...

Why areyou changing?

Sent from my V9 using Bimmer App
I want to get a 2.0t manual, my BM is just an auto and I dunno it's a really nice car I'm just bored of it. Have you ever known anyone to switch and not like audi?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
It'll be less fun to drive than the BM and doesn't look anywhere near as nice as a two door coupe.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Apparently the 2.0 litre engine is a bit of a trashheap. Where the 1.8 has a huge cult following, the 2.0 seems shunned.

The Quattro system is indestructible, the manual boxes are very strong and the cars are more reliable than you might think. I'm getting a B5 A4 1.8T Quattro myself.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
It'll be less fun to drive than the BM and doesn't look anywhere near as nice as a two door coupe.
I've been looking into a few mods for the b7, they can actually look really good. Hate to say it but... its quite slow, not 'fun'. I'd put it more in the nice to cruise around in category. Dont get me wrong I love the car, but i just think the Audi has more potential.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
JTripper
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325ci
If you thought bimmers gave electric problems! Haaa! Wait till you get that audi (some pronounce it: aweedy) lol

Two things that scared me away: #1 someone i know had to change a starter on an 05 a4 and it was against the damn firewall! And #2 another homie of mine has an 09 a6 and to change brakes u have to use an obd one that you have enter the vin for the car for the calipers to retract and slip the mew pads in!! WTFF?! Lol i'll roll with the older Germans plz!

Ride or DIE! #BavarianBeast #Gertrude is her name.
Fav car quote: "Maintenance before Mods"!

Trying to do this MOD asaphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-_o...rT_5bRlRc6GfPA

My lil Beast http://youtu.be/DT6FzACDskM
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
Apparently the 2.0 litre engine is a bit of a trashheap. Where the 1.8 has a huge cult following, the 2.0 seems shunned.

The Quattro system is indestructible, the manual boxes are very strong and the cars are more reliable than you might think. I'm getting a B5 A4 1.8T Quattro myself.
Yeah I know a few mechanics that say the Audi's are better built, particularly the newer b7's and b8's. I don't really mind if its a 1.8T or 2.0T but just has to be a quattro with a manual box. Also another reason why I'm thinking about buying an Audi is that you can actually find one in a manual, they are virtually non existent in an e46 m sport coupe and with decent milage
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTripper View Post
If you thought bimmers gave electric problems! Haaa! Wait till you get that audi (some pronounce it: aweedy) lol

Two things that scared me away: #1 someone i know had to change a starter on an 05 a4 and it was against the damn firewall! And #2 another homie of mine has an 09 a6 and to change brakes u have to use an obd one that you have enter the vin for the car for the calipers to retract and slip the mew pads in!! WTFF?! Lol i'll roll with the older Germans plz!
Iv never had electrical problems with either of my 2 BM's. Its not like there is a specific defect in the electrics in Audi's. How often do you have to do that though.. and also I don't think thats the case with the pads on an a4 b7.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
personally i almost made the swap to audi not to long ago, was looking at their 10-11 S3 models but just couldnt get away from BMW. Audi make good cars, but generally a bi**h to work on. What turned me off was how common it was for their timing chain to snap and how much cost/effort was involved in repairing that. Then again my M3 screwed me with my subframe

not sure what it would be like to drive but dont think you will notice a massive difference between the two, personal preference i guess is what it comes down to.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
personally i almost made the swap to audi not to long ago, was looking at their 10-11 S3 models but just couldnt get away from BMW. Audi make good cars, but generally a bi**h to work on. What turned me off was how common it was for their timing chain to snap and how much cost/effort was involved in repairing that. Then again my M3 screwed me with my subframe

not sure what it would be like to drive but dont think you will notice a massive difference between the two, personal preference i guess is what it comes down to.
Is the timing chain a problem on all Audi's including the a4? And when you say a lot of money, how much are we talkin?? should really invesigate audizine forums hey haha. Btw just on the subframe issue... How much is it costing you to fix and other than getting it inspected were there any other obvious signs of it beginning to crack?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4n4tik View Post
Is the timing chain a problem on all Audi's including the a4? And when you say a lot of money, how much are we talkin?? should really invesigate audizine forums hey haha. Btw just on the subframe issue... How much is it costing you to fix and other than getting it inspected were there any other obvious signs of it beginning to crack?
not sure about all audis you would have to investigate but it looks to be a common problem on some of them but it usually costs around $4k to repair depending on the damage caused when it breaks.

My subframe wasnt bad, had 3 cracks that were all relatively small (1-3cm) and i had it welded, epoxied and reinforcement plates installed along with a custom bar the guy designed for it as well for 3500 in total. Not bad considering he did a fantastic job and got BMW to inspect it after it was done and they said it was perfect and were even impressed themselves with the job. In terms on signs of it about to start there arent really any, basically you just have to catch the cracks when they start as the grow very quickly. The guy who repaired it for me said he had a customer come in with 2 hairline cracks under 10mm and encouraged him to do the repair however he said no he will take his chances...came but 6 months later and the cracks were 10-15cm long and the subframe was basically hanging from the back of his car. Obviously an extreme example but it can happen.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post

The 2.0 is a trash heap? Early 1.8's and 2.0's had issues but those have been worked out now. The biggest issues you will run into is PVC failure and some poorly placed vacuum lines which are a total pain in the ass to change. Trust me I have done it for a couple friends and my sisters car.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
not sure about all audis you would have to investigate but it looks to be a common problem on some of them but it usually costs around $4k to repair depending on the damage caused when it breaks.

My subframe wasnt bad, had 3 cracks that were all relatively small (1-3cm) and i had it welded, epoxied and reinforcement plates installed along with a custom bar the guy designed for it as well for 3500 in total. Not bad considering he did a fantastic job and got BMW to inspect it after it was done and they said it was perfect and were even impressed themselves with the job. In terms on signs of it about to start there arent really any, basically you just have to catch the cracks when they start as the grow very quickly. The guy who repaired it for me said he had a customer come in with 2 hairline cracks under 10mm and encouraged him to do the repair however he said no he will take his chances...came but 6 months later and the cracks were 10-15cm long and the subframe was basically hanging from the back of his car. Obviously an extreme example but it can happen.
Thanks for the info man.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
The 2.0 is a trash heap? Early 1.8's and 2.0's had issues but those have been worked out now. The biggest issues you will run into is PVC failure and some poorly placed vacuum lines which are a total pain in the ass to change. Trust me I have done it for a couple friends and my sisters car.
Seems like your on the fence about Audi's....
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
If you like to cruise, use a little boost and enjoy the feeling of the AWD you'll enjoy the Audi.

For me, I like a more engaging drive and I like road feel that the E46 (with M-Sport II suspension) gives. I test drove an A4 2.0 Quattro and didn't like it. It felt vague, disconnected and under powered.

These are just my comments and your perspective may be different so you should definitely drive it and get your own feel for it

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #17
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Buy my b8 a4! Low kms and manual trans (1.8t fwd though)
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #18
f4n4tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E465 View Post
Buy my b8 a4! Low kms and manual trans (1.8t fwd though)
How much!!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 AM   #19
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4n4tik View Post
How much!!
PM sent.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #20
postal

My Ride: E46
whenever I think about buying an Audi, I simply remind myself of this picture:

That's the back of the engine (you know, up against the firewall). Good luck servicing that. (to be fair, it's the V12)
postal is offline   Reply With Quote