E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
JeromeP

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
New Key Options and Blutooth setup

I read some place that there are custom options that when you get a new full key not valet that the BMW dealer can set but when I asked the parts guy he was clueless. Am I out of my mind.

I was thinking one of these options was when you lock by the remote on the key it either flashes the lights or makes a sound. I know mine right now does nothing and I have become accustomed to that verification on my Z06 Corvette that has been my daily driver for 2.5 years and have recently purchased the 2004 M3 Convertible which is my first E46 but had an E36 M3 Convertible previously.

Also I will ask hear and if I don't get any info I will start a new thread. It appears my car is setup for blutooth but I cannot find any instructions that work to pair to your phone. There is a steering wheel button that says R/T I assume that's radio telephone as when I hit it it says phone book E if I hit the button with the man with thing coming out of his mouth when in telephone mode amd keep it down it bring up a number one on radio and dials Verizon stating I don't have a valid account. I do not have the big GPS screen. I am not trying to setup a new phone line just get blutooth to work with my iPhone which is sprint, any ideas about phone and key option.

JeromeP
JeromeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
JeromeP.....I am not aware of any "special" custom options for your key. However, you can go to a BMW dealer & they can program certain options into the ECU (or whatever unit it programs) so that things like day light running lights will come on, the doors lock/unlock at specific ways, not sure what else. But it is NOT done with the key. Goggle this as there is some cool things the key will do 'standard'.

As for the BT, you will need to find the "PK" (pin code) which is a 4 digit # that needs to be input to get your smart phone to par with the BT unit. This PK is on a card that is usually with the owners manual. If you don't have that, the control unit is located on the drivers side on the back of the back seat behind the truck cover. Caution, some units don't have the number printed on it. If not, you'll need to go to the dealer & see if he can find it on the computer. I have posted the set up procedure on here somewhere.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeP View Post
I read some place that there are custom options that when you get a new full key not valet that the BMW dealer can set but when I asked the parts guy he was clueless. Am I out of my mind.

I was thinking one of these options was when you lock by the remote on the key it either flashes the lights or makes a sound. I know mine right now does nothing and I have become accustomed to that verification on my Z06 Corvette that has been my daily driver for 2.5 years and have recently purchased the 2004 M3 Convertible which is my first E46 but had an E36 M3 Convertible previously.

Also I will ask hear and if I don't get any info I will start a new thread. It appears my car is setup for blutooth but I cannot find any instructions that work to pair to your phone. There is a steering wheel button that says R/T I assume that's radio telephone as when I hit it it says phone book E if I hit the button with the man with thing coming out of his mouth when in telephone mode amd keep it down it bring up a number one on radio and dials Verizon stating I don't have a valid account. I do not have the big GPS screen. I am not trying to setup a new phone line just get blutooth to work with my iPhone which is sprint, any ideas about phone and key option.

JeromeP
Do a search here or on google for a P.A Soft BMW Scanner, Version 1.4.0. You can get a cheap one for about $35, maybe from Taiwan. It will allow you you to view and alter all kinds of settings, including raising and lowering your top remotely, all auto-up for the windows, etc.

Many people here have had great success with them. I've had some software issues, so can't confirm personally, but this is your best bet. Much better DYI than taking it to the dealer.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
JeromeP

Thank you very much another I guess pet peave would be when I lock my car there is no light flash no horn bleep nothing. If I am not standing right next to it and hear the lock mechanism go down I always wonder did it lock yes/no which drives me nuts, plus I have been know to lose my car and to use the bleep to find it like no one else has ever lost which direction there car is in a big parking lot for a minute.

Jerome

Last edited by JeromeP; 03-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
This is one of the functions they can program the car to do. I think some have done it with the 'other' software you can buy. I've never done it before.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
JeromeP

If anyone knows what it takes to do this and what skill level because I tend to cause more issues for myself if I go DIY like recently thought I could fix glove box that would not open with latch but would with key. I figured it 2 Screws how hard can it be well got it apart couldn't figure it out so managed to get it back together and when I shut it that was it can't get in now with latch or key so on top of previous question anyone knows how to get into a messed up glove box god love ya.

Jerome
Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
PA soft is the way to go. i coded a bunch of stuff on my car inculdeing opening & closing the top from the remote.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
Order PA Soft from XCar - they seem to be shipping working units now, unlike some other suppliers.

PA Soft thread here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=893444

You need a Win XP laptop to do it the simplest way.
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeP View Post
If anyone knows what it takes to do this and what skill level because I tend to cause more issues for myself if I go DIY like recently thought I could fix glove box that would not open with latch but would with key. I figured it 2 Screws how hard can it be well got it apart couldn't figure it out so managed to get it back together and when I shut it that was it can't get in now with latch or key so on top of previous question anyone knows how to get into a messed up glove box god love ya.

Jerome
In response to your glove-box question, let me point you towards the DIY I have just created. Its not too hard, just takes some doing.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694506
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
JeromeP

Does anyone know the pairing process for the blutooth. I looked on the BMW site and looked through the owners manual and it was very vague but it said there is a separate video to go to the owner manual for your car and just below there is a video for your car. Well did that yes there is a video if you had an I drive which was well after my 2004 M3. So no where does it state how to initiate the car into pairing mode.

It also said that there are specific option that can be programmed into chip of the key so it know what that specific person wants but then there are other features that are done through the ECU which BMW can do or I gues if you had a programmer you could do yourself. My problem is I asked parts guy about this who called shop Forman whom said he knew nothing about these special features and this is BMW of Austin it is quite a large dealer, makes me feel real secure when owner manual says it but it is very vague. If anyone has any ideas on these features or still working on glove compartment. There is a BMW only shop around the corner they said they would probably break latch of put key lock mechanism in new latch and that would do it and still have same key.

Tags
bluetooth, blutooth, key options