E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
rear speakers buzzing with radio off

the rear sub woofer speakers are buzzing even with the radio off. It is the Harman/Kardon sound system.

I unplugged the rear speaker assembly at the roof of the trunk and the sound went away.

I took the entire assembly apart. I checked to see if the speakers were sealed around the edges. I took apart the sub amp connected to the rear speakers, checked for any cracked solder joints or items that may have vibrated loose. I found nothing wrong with it upon visual inspection.

Ive done a search and while many people have this problem even on the new cars.....it still has yet to be solved.

The only things ive found to be causes for this are cracked solder joints and parts of the sub amp vibrating loose due to not being glued in. Mine is tight and glued in. All the grounds in the trunk are tight and look good with no corrosion.

When i plugged the rear sub woofer speakers back in the noise came back.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited by glhx; 03-06-2013 at 12:34 AM.
glhx is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
The buzzing you are hearing.... Is this alternator whine or something else?
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
No. Its not rpm related. It's a low buzzing sound that's constant coming directly from the sub woofer with the radio off. So far I've seen bad amp and bad ground for possible causes. There are 2 amps. One for the sub and the other amp for the rest. The larger amp feeds the sub amp. So I don't know which is at fault.

Last edited by glhx; 03-06-2013 at 08:29 AM.
glhx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Only way to test the amp is to swap with a buddy and see if it goes away. I'm willing to bet there is a ground loop somewhere.