E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
SManganella

My Ride: 04' 325ci
Would like to hear some opinions

So earlier this morning as i was waiting to make a left out of my school parking lot (CCM), some girl rear ended me. When it happened, it felt like a pretty nice bump, not tap, but bump so i pulled off to the side and she did the same. I was hesitant to get out of my car because i was assuming a nice crack to be there, but to my surprise there was none. She did cause quite a few new scratches to the bumper however my rear bumper already had a few scratches on it from the previous owner that i planned to get taken care of in the spring. Make a long story short after her apologizing i just told her not to worry about it and have a good day. My body guy already owes me work and the bumper is getting painted anyway so i figured it'd be my good karma for the week. Of course as soon as i pulled off, i began to second guess myself! So with that being said, do you guys think i shouldn't have let her off the hook? What would you have done?
SManganella is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
You should at least have got her number, insurance information and snapped some pictures of the event.
There is rear armature and bumper shocks behind the bumper cover, hopefully you dont have any damage. But her number would have been definitely helpful if there would have been any.

You just missed out on a nice Mtech 2 for good karma. lol. J/k.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
SManganella

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
You should at least have got her number, insurance information and snapped some pictures of the event.
There is rear armature and bumper shocks behind the bumper cover, hopefully you dont have any damage. But her number would have been definitely helpful if there would have been any.

You just missed out on a nice Mtech 2 for good karma. lol. J/k.
Thats exactly what I was thinking before i saw the damage Oh well.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
Depends on how hot she was
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
SManganella

It's a safe bet to say she was definitely lacking in that category! ^^^
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Mango will be mad that your e46 is anything but looking 100% mint... Lol jk post pics? Not zoomed in shots but just general pics of how it looks.

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
csa714

My Ride: 2004 330cic
You let her off the hook - very nice of you. No going back now. Next time get her info etc and then let her off the hook after the mechanic says the car is OK.
csa714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I had a guy put a dent in my driver's side quarter panel about six months after I bought the car. He said, "I'll give you $700 cash now if you don't report this." Sure, the damage seemed VERY minor, as in, "Let me just pop that dent out and call it a day" minor. Instead, I declined and told him, "I'm filing a claim with your insurance."

I'm glad I did.

A quote from the dealership's body shop was ~$1,400. And I ended up paying $1,200 (which included my ///M3 replica front bumper being painted, which was totally unrelated to the old guy tagging my car).

Moral of the story: Never let them off the hook. You might be setting yourself up for disaster.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 03-04-2013 at 03:10 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
SManganella

Yeah I should have taken her information. My kindness got the best of me i guess lol
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManganella View Post
Yeah I should have taken her information. My hormones got the best of me i guess lol
I know how that goes. Once you get older, you learn to control those little demons.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Since you already have damage and are getting the bumper painted, let it go. But in the future, think about getting a police report. They come in awfully handy sometimes.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
You let her off the hook - very nice of you. No going back now. Next time get her info etc and then let her off the hook after the mechanic says the car is OK.
I totally agree with you, get her information, took some pictures for just in case she sues you back, then if there was a light rear end and just a few small scratches on the bumper and you're already planned to get it painted or replaced anyway, so let her go is the best thing for you to do. Why try to make some money out of her or her insurance co. like that, knowing all to the end it will end up driving up the insurance cost to everybody, besides, her insurance rate will probably go up too.

So, I think you have a kind heart and know what's supposed to get and what's not, you are a good man and you absolutely did a right thing.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
SManganella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I know how that goes. Once you get older, you learn to control those little demons.
I read the hormones part and I was like wait I never said that lol.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
SManganella

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibinhvuong View Post
I totally agree with you, get her information, took some pictures for just in case she sues you back, then if there was a light rear end and just a few small scratches on the bumper and you're already planned to get it painted or replaced anyway, so let her go is the best thing for you to do. Why try to make some money out of her or her insurance co. like that, knowing all to the end it will end up driving up the insurance cost to everybody, besides, her insurance rate will probably go up too.

So, I think you have a kind heart and know what's supposed to get and what's not, you are a good man and you absolutely did a right thing.
Thank you sir.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
taibinhvuong

Quote:
Thank you sir.
Also think about this, if someday you or your relatives rear end someone in the same situation as you had today, and he/she lets you/them go, how would you or your relatives pray how lucky you guys are and how thankful to the kindness of the other party. So, don't even think and feel bad and stupid that you has missed a good chance to make some money or get a new nice bumper out of it, instead you should be proud of what you did.

Last edited by taibinhvuong; 03-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
wbarfels

My Ride: 05 325i
About a month ago just before I bought my E46 I was parked in my E36 and I felt a bump.......I a guy in a Hyundai forgot to set his E brake and it rolled right into me. It wouldn't have left a mark, but the 2 screws holding his front plate on did not have covers, and one of them left a mark. The mark was very small. Imagine taking the cap off of a sharpie and then tapping it against the bumper, that was about the size of the mark. But still, it was the principle of the matter. So I took a pic with my phone of his car and my car (they were about 8" apart) and a pic of his insurance card and license. The guy was worried about his rates so he said he would pay for it out of pocket.

I took the car to maaco to get an estimate, and honestly I felt kind of stupid doing it because the mark was so small that it took me about 30 seconds to find it. They wrote up an estimate for $250, and I called the guy and told him $200 would be fine. He said he could get the money in a couple days so I waited and when I called him back he said he called his insurance and they said it wouldn't raise his rates if he reported it, so he did just that. His insurance set up a an appt at a local boddy shop were there adjuster keeps a desk, and after checking it out he came up with estimate for $458, along with a rental car while it was being worked on. I said that I would rather just order a new bumper and take car of it myself. (I was thinking an M-tech bumper) So the guy wrote the check out to me. That ended up working out perfect because I traded my E36 a few days later for my new E46 that had some light front end damage....(The car was just taken out of a 2 year stay in the garage and the guy hadn't got it insured yet, so no accident report or salvage title) So that money paid for almost half of the repairs!

Anyways, If someone hits your car.....no matter how minor the damage the fact remains that someone hit your car. They need to learn that not paying attention is going to have consequences, so it's your moral obligation to have them fix it! And usually you can upgrade your car with the proceeds to help cover your "pain and suffering"
wbarfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
SManganella

Like I said, it was my "good karma" for the week. I do have to admit hearing other people's stories and how they made out on them does make me bite my tongue a little!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
taibinhvuong

Quote:
Like I said, it was my "good karma" for the week. I do have to admit hearing other people's stories and how they made out on them does make me bite my tongue a little!
Karma may or may not exist, but I believe it.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
taibinhvuong

Believing in Karma at least prevent me from doing bad things.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
SManganella

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibinhvuong View Post
Believing in Karma at least prevent me from doing bad things.
Well as I've gotten older Karma has stopped me from doing the things me and my friends used to think was funny.. an example would be egging cars but that's another story.