E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 657
My Ride: M3
3.5L / 67 or 71 mm turbo project

We have been working on All Wheel Drive M3 for the last 2 months and road tests will start on may 2013.

AWD M3 will take a lot of my time.

Meanwhile I decided to build my other E46 M3 as a Daily M3. No need to have two E46 M3s to chase times. One is enough.

3500 cc stroker
very silent ehaust system
pump gas only
67 or 71 mm turbo to be able to have the maximum low end torque
(could not decide what to choose 67 or 71 mm)

custom automatic transmission, 8 speed, this is very exciting.
OS Giken LSD
Full interior, no weight reduction
380 mm new Brembos are waiting to go into this E46 M3
two colored leather DASH, this will be exciting

all and all I want to build a lovely Daily E46 M3. Will use one of my E46 M3s to chase for fast times. At the same time will work on one of my E36 M3 Euros to chase fast times.

In order to build a single turbo manifold, I needed to wait till the AWD M3's work decreases. We work on AWD m3 all the time.

Called Maximumpsi and talked to Luke and asked him for a turbo manifold. He replied that they dont sell manifolds only, just within their kits.

Explained Luke about my Project, I wanted a Daily full interior 700 whp M3. He understood what I wanted exactly.

Luke decided to sell me Maximumpsi's beautiful tubular manifold. It has nice curves and excellent welds. It is non-divided. Does not require a scavenge pump.



Thank you Luke & Maximumpsi. Without your tubular manifold I would have to wait for at least 6 more months.
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
pump gas only? I'd go with a 6766..
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 657
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
pump gas only? I'd go with a 6766..
Marcus,

I plan on sticking to pump gas and avoid filling methanol tanks etc. Want to haul my son and want to drive as if it is a factory m3.

Why do you recommend 6766?
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
Marcus,

I plan on sticking to pump gas and avoid filling methanol tanks etc. Want to haul my son and want to drive as if it is a factory m3.

Why do you recommend 6766?
On pump gas and 11.5:1 the 6766 just seems like a better pairing, quicker spool, sure less top end but i'm not sure how much of that topend you're really going to be able to take advantage of.. I think the 6766 wouldn't even be all in on pump. While I've never seen anyone do 700rwhp on a 11.5:1 on pump gas i have seen plenty make 700rwhp+ on 6766's with low comp. HPF's track car broke 700rwhp easily on the 6766 with a built 11.5:1 motor on c16.

Also when you say 71mm are you looking at the newer 7175 or the older 7168 CEA?

Also when you say 'pump gas' are you building the car around that requirement, or is that just what it PRIMARILY will be driving on.

On my 11.5:1 build I'm running the 7168. I might try my 7275 but Jason at ProEFI wasn't impressed with it.. however i never saw a dyno graph. I was actually going to go 6766 but i figured I have the 7168 laying around, might as well try with it first. The car will be on flex fuel though and I'll likely keep the pump numbers very conservative.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 657
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
On pump gas and 11.5:1 the 6766 just seems like a better pairing, quicker spool, sure less top end but i'm not sure how much of that topend you're really going to be able to take advantage of.. I think the 6766 wouldn't even be all in on pump. While I've never seen anyone do 700rwhp on a 11.5:1 on pump gas i have seen plenty make 700rwhp+ on 6766's with low comp. HPF's track car broke 700rwhp easily on the 6766 with a built 11.5:1 motor on c16.

Also when you say 71mm are you looking at the newer 7175 or the older 7168 CEA?

Also when you say 'pump gas' are you building the car around that requirement, or is that just what it PRIMARILY will be driving on.

On my 11.5:1 build I'm running the 7168. I might try my 7275 but Jason at ProEFI wasn't impressed with it.. however i never saw a dyno graph. I was actually going to go 6766 but i figured I have the 7168 laying around, might as well try with it first. The car will be on flex fuel though and I'll likely keep the pump numbers very conservative.
Compression will be 9:1 in order to be able to use pump gas only. There are no rules but just to be able to buy pump gas easily.

I am in between a 6768 and 7175.

Have you been happy with the way 7168 spooled on the Street?
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
luke@maximumpsi
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Linden NJ
Posts: 137
My Ride: 750hp E36 NickG Tune
Thanks for the kind words Mert! I think that this will suite your needs perfectly!
__________________

Luke King - Sales@maximumpsi.com
908-290-3571
luke@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
Compression will be 9:1 in order to be able to use pump gas only. There are no rules but just to be able to buy pump gas easily.

I am in between a 6768 and 7175.

Have you been happy with the way 7168 spooled on the Street?
Ahh, sorry.. thought you were going 11.5:1. Still would do a 6766. Why the 6768? I know the bigger exducer means more topend but even on the 6766 both HPF and ProEFI/Saad were carrying power to redline.

This graph is the 6766 on a built 9:1 motor on pump gas. I know its not your 700rwhp target.. but its also on a 3.2, not a 3.5l

__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,862
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
The 6768 has a shitty top end in comparison to the 6766. The 6766 is a new redesign; 6768 no longer being made iirc.
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 657
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Ahh, sorry.. thought you were going 11.5:1. Still would do a 6766. Why the 6768? I know the bigger exducer means more topend but even on the 6766 both HPF and ProEFI/Saad were carrying power to redline.

This graph is the 6766 on a built 9:1 motor on pump gas. I know its not your 700rwhp target.. but its also on a 3.2, not a 3.5l

Marcus, thank you very much for the details.

3,500 cc / bigger cams / aggressively ported head/ + 1 mm oversize valves/ 9000 rpm "might" give more power.

In fact my goal is not to make this or that whp. I do not have an exact goal.

I would like to taste E46 M3 and drive for at least 200.000 miles and wear my M3. Want to change brake pads, A/C filter, so basically want to use my M3.
I can live with 600 whp happily. This M3 will be a Daily commuter and 600 whp for a Daily car is enough. I drive 997 Turbo Daily, 550 flywheel hp is more than enough for a Daily car


Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The 6768 has a shitty top end in comparison to the 6766. The 6766 is a new redesign; 6768 no longer being made iirc.
I ve asked Precision and they quoted for 6768, they did not mention about production. Why do think top end of 6768 is shitty?
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 657
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke@maximumpsi View Post
Thanks for the kind words Mert! I think that this will suite your needs perfectly!
Luke, I thank you for accepting to sell this lovely manifold. There is a lot of effort and sweat in this manifold.

Wish you sell as many kits as possible
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Cipri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Romania
Posts: 209
My Ride: E46 M3 2002
You must detail this: "custom automatic transmission, 8 speed, this is very exciting. "

Good luck with the build!
Cipri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,862
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
The 6768 vs 6766 is no comparison...6766 is better in all ways. 6768 runs out of steam in the top end vs the 6766 as well.
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 657
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The 6768 vs 6766 is no comparison...6766 is better in all ways. 6768 runs out of steam in the top end vs the 6766 as well.

do they have different shape compressor wheels?

***305;f the comp wheels are the same the air flow has to be identical and hence 6768 should not run out of steam.
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,862
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
do they have different shape compressor wheels?

***305;f the comp wheels are the same the air flow has to be identical and hence 6768 should not run out of steam.
It's possible they came out with a redesign on the 6768 I suppose...dunno give them a call. Larry@SoundPerformance would be the guy to ask.
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
It's possible they came out with a redesign on the 6768 I suppose...dunno give them a call. Larry@SoundPerformance would be the guy to ask.
They did, they replaced the old 6768 with the 6768 CEA, same goes for the 6766 (which is a CEA). The 6768 that HPF used to use was not CEA (iirc).

...

Mert, sometimes its just not worth reinventing the wheel. The 6766 has been proven to make some great numbers and is matched very well with the 3.2L S54. I don't think some additional porting, valve work and a .3L difference is enough to justify the 6768 or 71xx. That's just me though.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,993
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Call me silly, but I would go with something even smaller...like a 6262 on the street. Everyone has their preferences...
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Call me silly, but I would go with something even smaller...like a 6262 on the street. Everyone has their preferences...
I didn't think Ben's HPF Stage 2.5 spooled much quicker on the 6466, not enough to justify the drop off on the top end. Maybe a 6466 on a 11.5:1 would be different.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 657
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Call me silly, but I would go with something even smaller...like a 6262 on the street. Everyone has their preferences...
Adam, this means you prefer more torque, better low end power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I didn't think Ben's HPF Stage 2.5 spooled much quicker on the 6466, not enough to justify the drop off on the top end. Maybe a 6466 on a 11.5:1 would be different.
67 vs 64 mm = 3 mm difference should affect spool a lot.
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use