E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
fernando95

My Ride: 1999 328i e46
Question what's your opinion on the luk clutch kits?

hey guys I'm replacing my clutch and pressure plate due to the best day at the track, and I'm on a budget do you guys have any info on the luk clutch kits? the part number is 03-041 it's the complete kit pressure plate, throw out bearing, and clutch for around 200$ just please give me some feedback on what I should and shouldn't while installing this clutch

Last edited by fernando95; 02-23-2013 at 12:47 PM.
fernando95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando95 View Post
hey guys I'm replacing my clutch and pressure plate due to the best day at the track, and I'm on a budget do you guys have any info on the luk clutch kits? the part number is 03-041 it's the complete kit pressure plate, throw out bearing, and clutch for around 200$ just please give me some feedback on what I should and shouldn't while installing this clutch
Most of these bimmers come out of the factory with the LuK kits, so you know, people get anywhere from 150K to over 200K miles on them before replacement.

$200 for that particular kit isn't bad; you might find it for a bit less from partsgeek. A few things to bear in mind....

You'll need the alignment tool to install the disc and pressure plate.

You will probably want to get a better pilot bearing than the one included in the kit (metal sheathed, not rubber-sealed like you'll find in the car).

You don't mention your mileage but since you are tracking this vehicle, you might want to consider updating everything between the rear main seal back to the diff bushings when you have the trans and driveshaft out of the car.

In fact, if you plan to be tracking, you might want to go with another kit (Valeo?) that uses a single-mass flywheel.

Even if you stick with the LuK kit, you should seriously consider replacing the flywheel at that time. Many people kick themselves for not doing so because the flywheel may give out much sooner or cause more problems than they expect. The urban legend is that the LuK dual-mass flywheels last through two clutches on these cars. That really depends on how the car is driven.

As to No-No's, be sure you do not prematurely remove the shipping plate that's in the new pressure plate until you have it properly installed on the flywheel, otherwise you'll be needing a very expensive "special" tool to reset the SAC.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
I think E46 had both luk and sachseither way both are fine.

What you shouldnt do while replacing the clutch is cheaping out.

What you should do while replacing the clutch is replacing ream main seal, guibo, center support bearing, new trans fluid and I think you should start saving for a new flywheel. Our flywheels can be reused and are good for 2 clutches easily BUT as long as you replace the clutch at the right time and dont hot spot/burn the flywheel .

If you see any hot spot/burn marks on your flywheel then you MUST replace it.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
You should change the slave cylinder as well.
The Thomas J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
fernando95

thanks for all the feedback guys, its all helpful but what im stuck on is if i burned my clutch severely would it still be possible to keep my flywheel and re use it for a x amount of miles? i poured all my money into the suspension and drive train power that im outta cash . so im trying to replace the things that absoulutely need to be replaced. i just dont want to have to rip apart the tranny again.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
I replaced my clutch at 95k miles with luk and inspected my flywheel before assuming it was okay to re use it.

At 155k everything thing has been very good. ( two transmission fluid change so far) every 25k cost $20ish redline

Yes replace CSB/GUIBO/GASKET seals/ and maybe transmission mount etc?

Clutch slave cylinder a must.

Also bleed clutch slave cylinder.

You said low on cash but do not leave those items with out being checked or pass 100k ' recommendation to be replaced for better ride quality

sent from phone to bimmer app
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
mystert

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
I replaced my clutch around 60k ago with a LUK clutch kit and it works great. Installation was easy, no issues at all.

MysterT Huntington Beach, CA
mystert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
fernando95

hey guys i got the kit, its the one for around 160$ on partsgeek.com can you guys tell me what ill need know. that didnt come with the kit, other than the alignment tool. any extra tranny bolts, seals etc..

Last edited by fernando95; 03-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
mystert

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
You'll need to buy a separate alignment too. My kit didn't come with one. It's crucial to have the one for the self adjusting clutch

MysterT Huntington Beach, CA
mystert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
tommytoyz

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
When I replaced my clutch with a LUK - like you - I resurfaced my flywheel, because it was chattering. Many here will tell you that you can't do that to thee flywheels and even some machine shops will say that. It's ignorance talking. A good machine shop that I went to, that has resurfaced hundreds of dual ass flywheels that the manufacturers say you can't resurface - resurfaced mine and it's been prefect - just like he said it would be.

Machine shop is http://tgsperformance.com/ Just a happy customer and felt I had to chime in, since many said it can't be done. Well it can, no problem.
tommytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytoyz View Post
When I replaced my clutch with a LUK - like you - I resurfaced my flywheel, because it was chattering. Many here will tell you that you can't do that to thee flywheels and even some machine shops will say that. It's ignorance talking. A good machine shop that I went to, that has resurfaced hundreds of dual ass flywheels that the manufacturers say you can't resurface - resurfaced mine and it's been prefect - just like he said it would be.

Machine shop is http://tgsperformance.com/ Just a happy customer and felt I had to chime in, since many said it can't be done. Well it can, no problem.
No one ever said it was impossible. It just requires specialized equipment which not many shops have. I believe even a member on mforums.net was providing the service for a bit as well.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
fernando95

are there any extra bolts im gonna need? i heard that i might have to cut off my tranny housing bolts and replace them. is this true?