E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
Sunroof doesn't close all the way with one-touch

So I've done the sunroof kit fix about 80k miles ago and now when I use the one-touch close function the sunroof and shade stop at about 3/4 fully closed. It only closes fully if I hold down the button. No busted part sounds are emitted. Sunroof shade has the regular slightly not smooth closure meaning it takes a little pull to close it unlike my Cx-9. Moonroof as well has no issues in tilting/opening/closing except for this as mentioned above. The shade does retract into it's proper postition hidden when the moonroof is fully opened and just visible with the handle for fully closed.

I'm thinking that the guides are getting worn or there is debris build-up causing the tension to stop the motor. I used some silicone spray on the guide track and of course cleaned beforehand (there was a good amount of black residue) and it didn't change a thing.

Thoughts? Maybe a sunroof reset? Maybe I should spend the time to take off the glass to inspect closer?
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
in for an answer... mine does this depending on the weather
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
GDubois

My Ride: BMW
Hold switch forward (closed) for 10-15 seconds to reset.

Congratulations.
GDubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
djbradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
If this works you've made my day. Reporting back in a few hours after work.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Lol, hold switch for entire duration. God forbid you hold it for 5 extra seconds. I'm sure there is some error in the electrical system, sunroof, or some phantom program...but it'll cost you big bucks to fix just for your laziness.

If above answer does not work, unplug battery and re plug.

Last edited by Sweetness; 04-17-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
djbradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Lol, hold switch for entire duration. God forbid you hold it for 5 extra seconds. I'm sure there is some error in the electrical system, sunroof, or some phantom program...but it'll cost you big bucks to fix just for your laziness.

Actually Poindexter it was the reset that was necessary as alluded to in my first post and confirmed thanks to GDubois. Thank you GDubois.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I do not know how the roof works, but the windows must be trained to where the top of the travel is else the Auto Up will not work right.

You will notice that the window switches have a click in mid-travel. If you hold the switch before the click then you have manual operation -- the window stops when you let the switch go -- and if you move the switch past the click then you have automatic operation -- the window go to the top if it knows where the top is and you do not press the button again.

The roof switch also has the click in the middle, and if there is the ability to close without holdingh the switch, then the roof must stop if there is an obstruction before it gets to the end of its travel. You are describing, I think, that the roof closes automatically until it gets to a position, then it stops. This indicates that it thinks there is an obstruction or that it thinks it is at the end of its travel.

If I am right, then the way to train the windows and the way to train the roof should be the same.

Open the window to the bottom, then hold the UP button _before_ the click until the window is fully up. When you lower the window, then it select UP after the click (automatic operation) it should go to the top without stopping.

Using this as the pattern, open the roof all of the way, then hold the CLOSE button before the click until the roof is fully closed. Open the roof then try Auto Close.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Clean and lube the tracks. any resistance encountered and the motor will reverse course

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
bumere46

My Ride: E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
this should work
at least it did for me
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post

Yes because if your automatic up windows didn't work I'm sure you would just hold it "for an extra 5 seconds". The correct procedure was already listed in this thread. I don't know why you have given such an attitude lately.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
djbradle

Tracks were lubed up and the moonroof still back tracked. The reset worked and that is all folks. Naysayers: stop being heroes and accept the factual info.