E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
So whats the solution? Do we wait until another bridge collapse disaster? If so then we'll see all the politicians on the 3 idiot cable news networks just blame each other while still nothing gets done.....right?
we should use tax revenue to conduct a study on whether or not there should be a study on investing in these infrastructures.

If approved, we should then actually conduct a study on infrastructure investment.

If there are plausible signs for investing, we should use whatever remaining tax revenue to look for the most expensive and untimely labor and material contractors.

When there is no tax revenue left over, we should siphon funds off other public services, raise taxes on other economic activity or mortgage off some public bonds to pay for the improvements.

that is california democratic way

Last edited by kaboo0m; 03-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
So whats the solution? Do we wait until another bridge collapse disaster? If so then we'll see all the politicians on the 3 idiot cable news networks just blame each other while still nothing gets done.....right?
The solution is to use money is it is intended. Those bridges collect millions of dollars a year. Specific gas taxes collect billions of dollars a year. Use it for the purpose for which it was taxed. It's that simple.

edit: For example, the Throgs Neck Bridge has annual traffic of over 38,000,000. The toll each way is $6.50 (without EZ pass). For simple math purposes that = $247,000,000 a year. You can't maintain a bridge for that much money a year? I bet I can.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009

Last edited by Act of God; 03-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
What should the government do? Throw everyone that works for the bridge authorities (ie MTA) in prison, throw their family out on their street, sell everything they own, including their organs, and begin to pay for the repairs with non union labor. I don't know about a few of those bridges, but do you have any idea how much toll money many of those generated? That toll money was FIRST supposed to pay for the bridges. Those bills were paid over 30 years ago. After that the tolls were supposed to be removed. They kept collecting, and increasing. It now costs $15 to cross the Verrazano and all other NY bridges. The GW has close to 300,000 cars/trucks a day pass through it. Some trucks pay almost $100 to cross it. Do you have any idea how much money that is? That bridge could have been lined in gold. Instead, almost none of the money is used to pay for the maintenance, and most of it goes to feed one of the larges, and most powerful unions on the planet.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The solution is to use money is it is intended. Those bridges collect millions of dollars a year. Specific gas taxes collect billions of dollars a year. Use it for the purpose for which it was taxed. It's that simple.

edit: For example, the Throgs Neck Bridge has annual traffic of over 38,000,000. The toll each way is $6.50 (without EZ pass). For simple math purposes that = $247,000,000 a year. You can't maintain a bridge for that much money a year? I bet I can.
Just to correct you, all NY crossings have been raised to $7.50, but thats recent so your figures are still accurate.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-05-2013 at 01:22 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #25
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Just to correct you, all NY crossings have been raised to $7.50, but thats recent so your figures are still accurate.
Honestly, a billion dollars every 4 years in revenue (for one freaking bridge!) should be more than enough to maintain these bridges.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
Honestly, a billion dollars every 4 years in revenue (for one freaking bridge!) should be more than enough to maintain these bridges.
just like Social Security, those funds are freely allocated where the bureaucrat see's appropriate SO I GUESS we can raise taxes because that always solves problems
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
just like Social Security, those funds are freely allocated where the bureaucrat see's appropriate SO I GUESS we can raise taxes because that always solves problems
But thats not how these things are sold. Tolls are created to PAY for a project. Once it's paid for, the tolls are supposed to be removed.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #28
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Its enough to build a new bridge, not just maintain one.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
US roads are pretty shitty overall.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
US roads are pretty shitty overall.
Because they don't receive the promised funding needed to maintain them.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Because they don't receive the promised funding needed to maintain them.
That's because we have to fund important things like theatre productions about global warming, studies about shrimp running on treadmills and building robot squirrels. Oh yeah, politicians have to galavant around like A list celebrities on our dime as well.

Last edited by Act of God; 03-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #32
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Let's not forgot the funding of important projects like the F-22 and F-35.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Let's not forgot the funding of important projects like the F-22 and F-35.
Tolls are not meant to pay for F22s. It is for locals to use and fund.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #34
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Fvck bridgees.

We have countries to bomb.
Do you like apples? I like oranges.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #35
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
I like tax dollars that pay for bridges in my country instead of bombs for brown people halfway around the planet.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Working with DOTs on their long run planning initiatives, you'd be shocked by the percentage of roads/bridges currently in "critical condition".
like Northern VA and parts of MD and DC?

FF UUU potholes!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #37
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
like Northern VA and parts of MD and DC?

FF UUU potholes!!!
My M3 gets trashed every time I make a visit to DC. F those roads.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I like tax dollars that pay for bridges in my country instead of bombs for brown people halfway around the planet.
Tax dollars aren't used to pay for these bridges. The tolls were. There is no reason why someone in Buffalo NY should be paying for the GW bridge to be maintained. There is no reason for you, far away from NY to be paying for the Verrazano to be maintained. That is exactly why tolls were created. Now, if the MTA pisses all the toll money away then begs the government for funding, we have an even bigger problem. My point is, they are two separate issues (bombs and bridges.) Bridges/tunnels/mass transit should not be paid for by taxpayers AT ALL.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #39
MDydinanM

I'm also curious as to how these contracts are awarded, and to whom. I get the impression it's like a good ol' boy network. That and all these "delays" which means more money to the contractor. Also, why work during the day in the DC area when it's heavily congested? Why not work at night? Oh wait, because it will be quicker, which means they can't prolong the contract and make more money!

Though I don't think road construction here in the DC/VA/MD area is unionized - not entirely sure.

Of course I have no evidence of this, just a suspicion

Last edited by MDydinanM; 03-05-2013 at 05:45 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #40
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Tolls are not meant to pay for F22s. It is for locals to use and fund.
I think you missed his sarcasm

Last edited by MDydinanM; 03-05-2013 at 05:51 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote