E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #41
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
main goal is to hit your calorie & protein requirements from proper sources. if you manage to do this... you will see results. Splitting calorie intake between training days and rest days will give the best results (essentially having cut / bulk days) instead of the alternative, a straight calorie surplus or deficit everyday for an extended period of time (having cut / bulk periods). This method allows you to retain muscle while maximizing fat loss, and to gain muscle while minimizing fat gain. In laymans terms... look great, all the time... and get stronger. No more "offseason fat". It just is a slower gain / loss scenario when compared, but this is a game of patience.

there isn't a plethora of solid research that I can find on the subject... however I still believe there is a benefit to insulin resistance / muscle uptake by restricting carb's to mostly post workout. Bimmerchop brought up the also solid argument of nutrient overlap, which is a great point as well. Essentially... if you enjoy separating carbs and fats to different days (like I do) feel free to do it, but it isn't a necessity. Calories & protein intake effect results the most, everything else like macro splitting and fasting is just a bonus.

I find it easier to hit my calorie & protein requirements by splitting them as well
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #42
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Any input on putting lentils into meals? High protein and fiber that I like to use as a "filler" in some dishes.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #43
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Any input on putting lentils into meals? High protein and fiber that I like to use as a "filler" in some dishes.
nothing wrong with them from a fitness standpoint they are a fine filler, I have my issues with the legume family for strictly health reasons (beans, lentils, peanuts etc) but that's beyond the scope of this guide
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #44
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
dabears, what is pretty much on your essential groceries list when you go food shopping? just curious
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #45
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
dabears, what is pretty much on your essential groceries list when you go food shopping? just curious
over the course of a week these are the staples... I usually eat all of these things... I left out the odd purchases like kale, pancake mix etc. that is more sporadic

meats:

ribeye / tenderloin steak
chicken breasts
ground beef
bacon
halibut / wild salmon (not so much in the winter since its all prefrozen or farmed and I don't buy that)
tuna
eggs

vegetables

spinach
carrots
asparagus
onions
mushrooms
peppers
green onion
cucumber
tomato
green beans
celery

fruit

apples
bananas
strawberries
blueberries
blackberries
kiwi
avocado

carb sources

russet potatoes
yellow potatoes
red potatoes
sweet potatoes
basmati rice
sushi rice

dairy

milk
butter
marble cheese
goat cheese
feta cheese
sour cream

treats

popsicles
revellos
air popped popcorn

supplements

whey protein
multivitamin
vitamin D
fish oil
occassional pre-workout (one scoop)

during my bulk I ate pasta / occassional bread since I found it impossible to get the carb / calorie intake I required from potatoes & rice alone. Other than that fact, I don't eat pasta or bread... occasional thin crust pizza is about it.

I don't eat dessert or sweets (I ate about 3K calories worth of chocolate this weekend though lol).
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #46
Mike Larry

lol wow. thanks man that helps a lot^
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #47
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
over the course of a week these are the staples... I usually eat all of these things... I left out the odd purchases like kale, pancake mix etc. that is more sporadic

meats:

ribeye / tenderloin steak
chicken breasts
ground beef
bacon
halibut / wild salmon (not so much in the winter since its all prefrozen or farmed and I don't buy that)
tuna
eggs

vegetables

spinach
carrots
asparagus
onions
mushrooms
peppers
green onion
cucumber
tomato
green beans
celery

fruit

apples
bananas
strawberries
blueberries
blackberries
kiwi
avocado

carb sources

russet potatoes
yellow potatoes
red potatoes
sweet potatoes
basmati rice
sushi rice

dairy

milk
butter
marble cheese
goat cheese
feta cheese
sour cream

treats

popsicles
revellos
air popped popcorn

supplements

whey protein
multivitamin
vitamin D
fish oil
occassional pre-workout (one scoop)

during my bulk I ate pasta / occassional bread since I found it impossible to get the carb / calorie intake I required from potatoes & rice alone. Other than that fact, I don't eat pasta or bread... occasional thin crust pizza is about it.

I don't eat dessert or sweets (I ate about 3K calories worth of chocolate this weekend though lol).
almost identical to the stuff I buy.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #48
dabears

going to be re-writing majority of this in the near future, in the attempt to A) simplify/organize it better and B) remove things I've found through trial and error don't matter as much and C) post my own result pics doing it
Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #49
Mike Larry

so ive been trying to do your whole higher carbs on lifting days/higher fat on rest days thing and it's been really hard for me. i give you a lot of props for being diligent enough to do this
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #50
dabears

Quote:
so ive been trying to do your whole higher carbs on lifting days/higher fat on rest days thing and it's been really hard for me. i give you a lot of props for being diligent enough to do this
I did it without a hitch while bulking (and saw great results), but I've found it to be mundane and boring as fk on my cut (meal wise... way less freedom in 1500 calories), and the benefits of it are debatable. I've been eating high fat / moderate protein / low carb with a ~200-250g carb refeed every week or so. (This is just a personal choice). I only eat carbs on workout days still, but I've been keeping fat a bit higher than before.

If you find it too difficult, the most important things are that you are hitting your calorie goals, working out intensely, and getting enough protein.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #51
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I did it without a hitch while bulking (and saw great results), but I've found it to be mundane and boring as fk on my cut (meal wise... way less freedom in 1500 calories), and the benefits of it are debatable. I've been eating high fat / moderate protein / low carb with a ~200-250g carb refeed every week or so. (This is just a personal choice). I only eat carbs on workout days still, but I've been keeping fat a bit higher than before.

If you find it too difficult, the most important things are that you are hitting your calorie goals, working out intensely, and getting enough protein.
these three things i do fairly consistently. i guess i just wanted to step up my game a lil bit and try your thing out, but that added step of specifically avoiding carbs on rest days and avoiding fats on lifting days makes it that much harder. what exactly is a carb refeed? do you just pick a random lifting day per week and gorge on carbs?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #52
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
I'm trying to bulk. what should I eat preworkout (yes carbs but give me ideas pls)
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #53
dabears

Quote:
these three things i do fairly consistently. i guess i just wanted to step up my game a lil bit and try your thing out, but that added step of specifically avoiding carbs on rest days and avoiding fats on lifting days makes it that much harder. what exactly is a carb refeed? do you just pick a random lifting day per week and gorge on carbs?
yeah you pretty much have to homecook everything and stick to certain foods. A carb refeed is a period (usually a day) where you eat a lot of carbs, more than you normally do. On my cut I've been trying to stay under 100g a day (and most of that being vegetables). I sort of go by how I feel, and I usually have a day where I'm "cheating" a little bit so I try and limit this to once a week, and eat some bread / pasta on this day to ensure my muscles glycogen stores are full (what you use to lift heavy weight with, and it comes from carbs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
I'm trying to bulk. what should I eat preworkout (yes carbs but give me ideas pls)
best pre-workout meals I've found that limit bloating (which ****s with you when lifting) are either spaghetti & meat sauce or chicken & rice.

You want to eat solid meals like this 3-4 hours before your workout, which gives them time to digest.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #54
kushy

I sometimes get light headed when I lift and have made the connection that lack of carbs makes the difference. Sometimes though even when I load up on carbs I still get the light headed feeling. Is there something else I should change diet wise?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #55
kushy

Also, would you prefer to train on drinking day, or hangover day?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #56
dabears

Quote:
I sometimes get light headed when I lift and have made the connection that lack of carbs makes the difference. Sometimes though even when I load up on carbs I still get the light headed feeling. Is there something else I should change diet wise?
to me that sounds like hypoglycemia (lack of blood sugar). This is completely up to you and may not fix it, but maybe try reducing your carb intake to 100g a day for a week or two (vegetables + a carb source in one meal should be around there), and up your fat intake. You'll essentially teach your body to use fat more efficiently as a fuel.

Otherwise, having a complex carb source 1-3 hours pre workout should get rid of the lightheaded feeling. Don't drink a pop or something, that's the equivalent of drinking a beer while hungover... it may stop the pain temporarily but long term you'll be worse off.

Quote:
Also, would you prefer to train on drinking day, or hangover day?
I train on drinking days all the time (Fridays). I eat healthy all day, and workout then have my typical meals.

Working out hungover is a bad idea in so many ways I won't even get into it lol, i think you know this
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #57
dabears

For anyone interested, this article sums up everything I've wrote in here... much nicer as well. Not quite as in depth, but does the trick regarding calories / macro & micronutrients, and food choices.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._flexible_diet
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #58
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
So now you're still doing intermittent fasting, but stopped cycling carbs, and you're eating 1g/1lb of LBM? Is that all you changed?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #59
dabears

yeah, I'm trying to cut weight so 300+ carbs in a day doesn't make sense to me (though it will work I'm sure).

I stick to around 100 or less on rest days from mostly veggies/fruit , and 100-150 on workout days most coming from potatoes or rice.

I've been getting between 140-180g of protein depending on the day.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #60
dabears

I updated the guide to simplify it (removed the macronutrient calculations and just gave general guidelines for carbs & protein, fat intake therefore takes care of itself within the calorie guidelines).

I also added a step by step guide to effective & accurate calorie counting at home when combining multiple ingredients.