E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Intelligence inequality in America, contributes to wealth inequality in America.
This... not to mention work ethic inequality.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
Good things come to those who work. Anyone with enough ambition and desire to have wealth will get it.
Thats the problem. No one wants to work for it anymore.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
This... not to mention work ethic inequality.
BRB, going to take my union mandated 2 hour mid-day break.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Thats the problem. No one wants to work for it anymore.
sweeping statement is sweeping.

no one, eh?
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
I guess we disagree then. Everything you posted is just a symptom, not the cause (the disease.)

Responsible people (like me) didn't buy 3 houses when they couldn't afford one. However, they did because they "could." This societal rot is the PROBLEM.

Decreasing taxes is never wrong. The government grew out of control and is constrained by nothing. When we couldn't print money, the government can't just print and keep on growing. The government should fit revenue, not vice versa. A government that is constrained by nothing will NEVER be paid for with tax revenue.

Market uncertainty is a PC word for market regulation and manipulation. I didn't hear too many people crying that their 401Ks were doubling every few years.

Media...no argument there, but this goes back to my first point....they cater to the irresponsible masses.
As a senior Econ major, market uncertainty is definitely a factor. Government allowing banks to pretty much do as they please, expecting them to not be dumb enough to bankrupt themselves is also definitely a factor. Glass Stegal Act helped too.

Lower taxes has zero influence on market production, same with increasing money supply. However, market productivity is a main factor in our economic equilibrium. To increase production, you must do things like invest in technology and education, which we are currently trying to do. Increasing money supply only increases aggregate demand and price, same for decreasing taxes.

Increasing taxes and making sure the class with the highest marginal propensity to purchase is how you get out of it. When I get home I'll post a link showing the economy when taxes were highest, we were highly performing.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 03-05-2013 at 07:15 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #26
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
sweeping statement is sweeping.

no one, eh?
Almost the majority. Once the scales tip, it will be VERY hard to bring them back.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
CollinsE90

Quote:
In fact, although correlation is not causation, when you compare economic growth in periods with declining tax rates versus periods with high tax rates, there seems to be evidence that tax cuts might hurt growth. But we'll leave that possibility for another day.
One thing that tax cuts do unequivocally do--at least tax cuts for the highest earners--is increase economic inequality. Given that economic inequality is one of the biggest problems we face in this country right now, this conclusion is very important.

http://www.businessinsider.com/histo...x-rates-2012-5

http://www.businessinsider.com/study...-growth-2012-9

Last edited by CollinsE90; 03-05-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #28
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Almost the majority. Once the scales tip, it will be VERY hard to bring them back.
Are basing this on you empirical research on the subject, or are you just speaking outta your ass again?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Are basing this on you empirical research on the subject, or are you just speaking outta your ass again?
No, just using facts and figures that don't align with your personal opinion.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #30
NFRs2000nyc

Question, did everything else remain exactly the same that you can attribute the growth/recession solely to taxes?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
well please present your factual evidence so that everyone may be enlightened.

It sounds like you are trying pass your opinion off as fact.

Last edited by badfast; 03-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
MDydinanM

Quote:
And these facts come from where that were put together be who that perhaps were done objectivity or not by supposedly a credentialed individual?

Just asking

Last edited by MDydinanM; 03-05-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
CollinsE90

Quote:
Question, did everything else remain exactly the same that you can attribute the growth/recession solely to taxes?
I didn't attribute the decline to only taxes, just pointed out that decreasing taxes does not lead to a better economy, like you previously said. It leads to more spending, but more spending doesn't mean anything in the long run model of an economy. More spending just equals higher demand, and higher price equilibrium.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #34
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I didn't attribute the decline to only taxes, just pointed out that decreasing taxes does not lead to a better economy, like you previously said. It leads to more spending, but more spending doesn't mean anything in the long run model of an economy. More spending just equals higher demand, and higher price equilibrium.
I don't see where you get the "more spending equals higher demand." There is never a higher demand from the government. As for the decreasing taxes doesn't lead to a better economy, there is no evidence to support that since that evidence can't be obtained. Common sense tells us that lower taxes aka leaving people alone will let me keep more of what they make. These charts and graphs are meaningless, since we can both admit there is 1001 other variables responsible for growth/recession.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-05-2013 at 07:40 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
And these facts come from where that were put together be who that perhaps were done objectivity or not by supposedly a credentialed individual?

Just asking
Fair enough. You can research the numbers on your own...lets start with an easy one...how many people in the US are currently receiving means tested entitlements?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
MDydinanM

Quote:
Quote:
These charts and graphs are meaningless, since we can both admit there is 1001 other variables responsible for growth/recession.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #37
CollinsE90

Quote:
I don't see where you get the "more spending equals higher demand." There is never a higher demand from the government.
More government spending equals more money in the market, equals more demand for product, but also means the prices can change and even turn to inflation. Right now the government has increased spending, but only for a short term, because in the long run we could hurt ourselves. The fed has been dumping 85 billion a month on bonds to stimulate the economy, but it wont last long. These low interest rates don't come out of thin air, and the banks starting to lend for houses doesn't start from nowhere either. They're buying bonds and mortgages at a slow pace.

All of our funding during Bush was going to the War, instead of in our economy. Now we have to cut that spending on military back to normal, and invest in long term factors.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #38
MDydinanM

Quote:
Fair enough. You can research the numbers on your own...lets start with an easy one...how many people in the US are currently receiving means tested entitlements?
No idea.

My point is simply that when presenting facts, one most consider the source, in addition to the bias, agenda, and ontology (view of the world) they present. I think it behooves one to look at a broad spectrum of sources ranging from liberal, moderate, conservative, and international perspectives. To often people will google a factoid, and if it aligns with their beliefs, discount everything else and use what agrees with them - otherwise known as confirmation bias. I think we're all guilty of this at times. "Truth" and "facts" is sometimes hard to discern, especially with all the garbage out there. Truth and facts also vary by a way a person perceives things and their own experiences.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 03-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #39
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
So many hilarious generalizations in this thread.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #40
CollinsE90

Quote:
I don't see where you get the "more spending equals higher demand." There is never a higher demand from the government. As for the decreasing taxes doesn't lead to a better economy, there is no evidence to support that since that evidence can't be obtained. Common sense tells us that lower taxes aka leaving people alone will let me keep more of what they make. These charts and graphs are meaningless, since we can both admit there is 1001 other variables responsible for growth/recession.
Man, it's like reading Fox.

First, yes there is evidence showing tax doesn't change market productivity, it's called a 4 quadrant analysis. If you seriously think lowering taxes and 'leaving people alone' will increase the economy, you couldn't be any further from the truth.

The USA is the highest consuming country in the world. The MPC(Marginal propensity to consume) as a nation went over 1.00 in the last decade. Having a high MPC can be good, but if it goes over 1.00, it isn't. However, having one too close to 1 could result in drastic changes if the right factors happen. The MPC multiplier is 1/1-mpc. You use that number to find economic output. So if it's 1, it would be 1/1-1, which equals zero. A 0.8 MPC multiplier would be 5, so you multiply whatever economic change( e.g. tax increase), and you can calculate the increased output. If it goes above one, it has a negative effect on production.

My point with this, is guess what classes have the highest MPC? Lower class and Middle class. The Lower class has a lower chance of saving money, which is useless generally to economic productivity. So "leaving people be" would only pad their (people with lowest MPC) pockets, not the entire country's.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 03-05-2013 at 08:00 PM.