E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #41
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Again, stick to attorneying or learn about economic cycles, leading economic indicators, lagging economic indicators, etc. Don't just copy/paste some shite chain email that has no idea what it's trying to infer.
You realize I am an Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics major right? Also, I do not think we are in a recession but 0.1% growth is not what I would classify as a recovery or reason for the DOW to shoot the moon.

Edit: Not trying to pull rank or anything as I obviously don't work in finance, but you're being a little condescending considering my credentials.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

Last edited by Act of God; 03-05-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #42
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 810
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You realize I am an Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics major right? Also, I do not think we are in a recession but 0.1% growth is not what I would classify as a recovery or reason for the DOW to shoot the moon.
I can pm you my email if you want to send me your resume for street cred.

I majored in finance and minored in economics and on top of that, I deal with this stuff on a daily basis. What year was the annual GDP growth 0.1%?

Edit: Your cookie cutter chain email post about "economics" from last page is below your credentials, was my point.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 03-05-2013 at 10:13 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #43
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Williamsburg VA
Posts: 4,887
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Lol. I really enjoy this place.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I can pm you my email if you want to send me your resume for street cred.

I majored in finance and minored in economics and on top of that, I deal with this stuff on a daily basis. What year was the annual GDP growth 0.1%?

Edit: Your cookie cutter chain email post about "economics" from last page is below your credentials, was my point.
That was a list I pulled from zero hedge. Regardless of the source, there are many metrics that you can look at that indicate that the economy is not doing anything good right now. Hell, unemployment is the same as when BO took office with even more people out of the work force. This Keynesian utopia is nothing more than the emperor having no clothes.

The 0.1% was the 4Q last year. That's life support. The year was 2.2 compared to 1.8 the year prior. To make matters worse, the 0.1% was partially affected by less government spending, showing IMO that we're far too reliant on government spending in our economy.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

Last edited by Act of God; 03-05-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #45
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 810
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
That was a list I pulled from zero hedge. Regardless of the source, there are many metrics that you can look at that indicate that the economy is not doing anything good right now. Hell, unemployment is the same as when BO took office with even more people out of the work force. This Keynesian utopia is nothing more than the emperor having no clothes.

The 0.1% was the 4Q last year. That's life support.
Zero Hedge functions on the "a broken clock is right twice a day" idea. They have good information every once in a while, but other than that I don't put much weight in them.

If you look at leading and lagging economic indicators the economy is in a definite recovery and there are some silver linings, and of course problems.

Looking at UE numbers in a vacuum isn't going to do much good, nor is looking at two separate points to fit an argument. One has to look at the historical trend, and the factors surrounding them. The labor participation rate is definitely something to be concerned about.

I'm aware that the 0.1% was for Q4 last year....despite that the 2012 GDP growth was 2.4% and would have been higher had it not been for Sandy.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #46
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Zero Hedge functions on the "a broken clock is right twice a day" idea. They have good information every once in a while, but other than that I don't put much weight in them.

If you look at leading and lagging economic indicators the economy is in a definite recovery and there are some silver linings, and of course problems.

Looking at UE numbers in a vacuum isn't going to do much good, nor is looking at two separate points to fit an argument. One has to look at the historical trend, and the factors surrounding them. The labor participation rate is definitely something to be concerned about.

I'm aware that the 0.1% was for Q4 last year....despite that the 2012 GDP growth was 2.4% and would have been higher had it not been for Sandy.
Also, I primarily posted because OP thought this was an Obama "omg the economy is awesome right now" victory dance thread. Considering the way the Fed works we typically go through bubble/bust cycles and I feel that this will possibly be the next one. I'm not alone in that thought. Additionally, the economy is certainly not awesome right now.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

Last edited by Act of God; 03-05-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #47
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W
Posts: 7,491
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
It is Obama's fault that gas prices are high.
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #48
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
It is Obama's fault that gas prices are high.
Just like it was Bush's fault right?
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #49
rapier7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 78
My Ride: Subaru BRZ
So the market is essentially right where it was 6 years ago. During the intervening period, inflation reduced the real value of the DJIA index by about 7%. The media and the Democrats might be cheering this latest bit of news, but it has no real value to the tens of millions of retail and institutional investors that participate in the financial markets.

The two biggest culprits are Congress and the White House, both of which seem to have no problem with economic stasis even as it comes at the expense of an increasing underclass of marginally attached workers.
__________________
http://meta-rhetoric.com - Unfiltered Reality
rapier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #50
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
So the market is essentially right where it was 6 years ago. During the intervening period, inflation reduced the real value of the DJIA index by about 7%. The media and the Democrats might be cheering this latest bit of news, but it has no real value to the tens of millions of retail and institutional investors that participate in the financial markets.

The two biggest culprits are Congress and the White House, both of which seem to have no problem with economic stasis even as it comes at the expense of an increasing underclass of marginally attached workers.
The majority of Americans are only able to comprehend a few economic indicators. The DJIA is one of those indicators. They see a big number and just assume things are moving in the right direction.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #51
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
The majority of Americans are only able to comprehend a few economic indicators. The DJIA is one of those indicators. They see a big number and just assume things are moving in the right direction.
Very, very true. Although it can be said that there is a very tangible psychological component to an economy.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #52
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Very, very true. Although it can be said that there is a very tangible psychological component to an economy.
Like when people think the economy is still in the shitter because unemployment is high despite the fact it's a lagging indicator?
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #53
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Like when people think the economy is still in the shitter because unemployment is high despite the fact it's a lagging indicator?
No not what I was referring to. Not even close. I'm talking about if you go around telling people the economy sucks it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy because people alter their behavior based on said bad news. Likewise applies for good news, but I suspect not as powerful
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #54
Mayo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary, Ab
Posts: 297
My Ride: CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
It is Obama's fault that gas prices are high.
It is, because he won't approve the pipelines. Because he has to keep his word the the environmentalists that voted him in. But everyone knows it's best for North America to build the pipelines.
__________________
TopasBlau 330Ci
M-Tech II || Borla Catback || Bilstein PSS || K&N CAI ||Shark Injected || eBay headers ||
DICE Silverline || Smoked LED Tails/Sidemarkers || Clear Corners || 18" x 8.5/9.5 Forgestar F14's on Kumho

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #55
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
It is, because he won't approve the pipelines. Because he has to keep his word the the environmentalists that voted him in. But everyone knows it's best for North America to build the pipelines.
Best for Canada.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #56
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 810
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
It is, because he won't approve the pipelines. Because he has to keep his word the the environmentalists that voted him in. But everyone knows it's best for North America to build the pipelines.
Gas prices are controlled by the POTUS? Sheesh, that's news to me.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #57
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,399
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
What? You didn't know?

- If the DOW increases, it's the opposite party's legislation that was passed during their presidency, but it's the current party's president who did it
- If the DOW decreases, it's the opposite party's president who is ****ing up, but it's the current party's president who is dealing with the other party's problems

Duh.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Carbon dioxide is not a "chemical"
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #58
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 491
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
It is, because he won't approve the pipelines. Because he has to keep his word the the environmentalists that voted him in. But everyone knows it's best for North America to build the pipelines.
So it as the environmentalists that voted him in?

The pipelines are best for North America or best for your wallet?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #59
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,011
My Ride: GLK350,ML63
bush's fault.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #60
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W
Posts: 7,491
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Gas prices are controlled by the POTUS? Sheesh, that's news to me.
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use