E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Cloudy Headlights

Hey guys,

First post concerning my new car (I'll post up some pics when I get a chance).

Anyway, my headlights are a little cloudy. The haze is only slight, so maybe I could pull out the lens and clean it from the inside? Is that where the haze is, or is it from the outside? I can't tell by looking at it.

I'm also considering replacing the lenses completely. Are there any quality alternatives to the OEM units (which I believe are supplied by Bosch)?. The OEM units are pricey, and I'd obvsiously like to avoid this expense if there are quality alternatives that you all use. If not, I'll just go OEM in the near future.

Thanks in advance,
-Michael
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Akonion

My Ride: Mercedes C230
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
Hey guys,

First post concerning my new car (I'll post up some pics when I get a chance).

Anyway, my headlights are a little cloudy. The haze is only slight, so maybe I could pull out the lens and clean it from the inside? Is that where the haze is, or is it from the outside? I can't tell by looking at it.

I'm also considering replacing the lenses completely. Are there any quality alternatives to the OEM units (which I believe are supplied by Bosch)?. The OEM units are pricey, and I'd obvsiously like to avoid this expense if there are quality alternatives that you all use. If not, I'll just go OEM in the near future.

Thanks in advance,
-Michael
Over time headlights can get a hazy look just from sand and other debris in the air. You can buy a kit to restore the exterior for $20-$35, or you can (as you said) replace the lenses. I would opt more for replacing the lenses than just using a buffing kit, nearly half the cost and for the most part is a temporary fix.

A lot of people eon this forums seem to have success with this product:
http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

The bonus is that they are OEM units and are really well priced! However, make sure before you order that those lenses will fit you car.

Besides that, congratulations on your new car! Hope to see some pics of it soon!

2006 E46 330Ci or R171 SLK <---- MUST ACQUIRE

Last edited by Akonion; 03-05-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
Akonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
t5contradiction

My Ride: 03 e39 & 02 e46
tutlewax headlights restoration. Under $10 at your advance auto. Follow directions :/
t5contradiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonion View Post
Over time headlights can get a hazy look just from sand and other debris in the air. You can buy a kit to restore the exterior for $20-$35, or you can (as you said) replace the lenses. I would opt more for replacing the lenses than just using a buffing kit, nearly half the cost and for the most part is a temporary fix.

A lot of people eon this forums seem to have success with this product:
http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

The bonus is that they are OEM units and are really well priced! However, make sure before you order that those lenses will fit you car.

Besides that, congratulations on your new car! Hope to see some pics of it soon!
Do this! Excellent product!! Here is my video before and after the lenses were installed.

TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Even though the facelift 2-door doesn't have lenses that are easy to disassemble, it'd be nice of someone offered them. I'd buy them.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Akonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Even though the facelift 2-door doesn't have lenses that are easy to disassemble, it'd be nice of someone offered them. I'd buy them.
>_< There are no OEM suppliers of the Face-lift lenses? Damn... Might have to get a protective film put over my headlights when I buy mine...

Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Had LaminX on mine for the last eight years. Look close to new.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Blind_Shooter

My Ride: is your sister
wet sand and buff, anyone telling you to spend $72+shipping on new lenses either works for the company or is sers lazy.

http://www.lamin-x.com/3M-Headlight-...it-p/tl117.htm

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
Akonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter View Post
wet sand and buff, anyone telling you to spend $72+shipping on new lenses either works for the company or is sers lazy.

http://www.lamin-x.com/3M-Headlight-...it-p/tl117.htm
Not necessarily, just think it is worth permanently solving the issue than buying a temporary solution. Besides, $72 is not a lot for what this can do to improve the appearance of your vehicle.

Last edited by Akonion; 03-06-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Thanks for all the info guys. I will look into each suggestion.

Is the cloudiness actually on the inside of the lens, or the outside?
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonion View Post
>_< There are no OEM suppliers of the Face-lift lenses? Damn... Might have to get a protective film put over my headlights when I buy mine...
I've been trying to find the manufacturer of them. There is a logo on the bottom-left of the headlight, I can't remember what it says. It's like JTL or JKL or something like that. Maybe someone can figure it out and contact the manufacturer?

Last edited by Zell; 03-06-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I will look into each suggestion.

Is the cloudiness actually on the inside of the lens, or the outside?
Cloudiness is on the outside.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I would just buy the new lenses from khoalty.

Btw, you're NOT supposed to clean the inside of the lenses. The material is more fragile on the inside and prone to scratches.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
Don't waste your time with buffing new headlights. It will come back eventually so just buy new lenses.

Last edited by Adionik; 03-06-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
caryalon

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adionik View Post
Don't waste your time with buffing new headlights. It will come back eventually so just buy new lenses.
It will happen to new lenses eventually, also.

OP, check if you have Bosch or ZKW headlights - the lenses are different, and ZKW replacements are significantly more expensive.

My headlights were really badly frosted. I used the Meguiars kit that includes LaminX. The kit worked great, and the headlights are still clear and look new after 6 months. Reapplying the LaminX is recommended periodically.
caryalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryalon View Post
It will happen to new lenses eventually, also.

OP, check if you have Bosch or ZKW headlights - the lenses are different, and ZKW replacements are significantly more expensive.

My headlights were really badly frosted. I used the Meguiars kit that includes LaminX. The kit worked great, and the headlights are still clear and look new after 6 months. Reapplying the LaminX is recommended periodically.
Sure will, years from now when i've bought another car.
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Zell

Also use headlight sealant every few months. One small spray bottle of it will last you forever and keep the cloudiness away.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
tailspnr

My Ride: 03 325i Manual
I successfully buff headlights back to clear with a decent cleaner wax and a buffer all the time. I work in the used auto industry and this almost standard practice for us! If they are really bad, wet sand them first with 2000 grit sandpaper then follow with a buffer. But this method will only last a few months. A better long term solution might be to follow some of the recommendations mentioned above.
tailspnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
Gasturbine

My Ride: 2005 330ci Cabrio
$2 polishing disk on your cordless drill, and some toothpaste. You can even do it by hand. Dont waste your money on those "dedicated" products.
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
You can try the cheap way first but you likely won't be happy with the results. if you have pitting, you need to get aggressive with the sandpaper. all comes down to removing material. sometimes it's not worth the effort/time. my vote is buy new

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote