E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
The buffing kits take the protective film off of the plastic and after a few mints they will look worse than before. That's my personal experience. I'm planning on ordering new lenses this week.

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black
1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwartz/Cardinal

1995 Silver Frost/Gray Taurus SHO (sold)

1999 BMW 328i Sedan Alpine White/Sand (sold)
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryalon View Post
It will happen to new lenses eventually, also.

OP, check if you have Bosch or ZKW headlights - the lenses are different, and ZKW replacements are significantly more expensive.

My headlights were really badly frosted. I used the Meguiars kit that includes LaminX. The kit worked great, and the headlights are still clear and look new after 6 months. Reapplying the LaminX is recommended periodically.
This is wrong. The lenses are the same and interchangeable. Khoalty only sells one, and this is the reason why.

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
All you guys with pre-facelift lights should qualify your advice. I wish I had it as easy as you.
Cannot replace lens on the newer lights without baking them off. Not sure you can even buy new lenses for these.
So some have to buff out and protect to avoid lenses hazing over quickly again.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...08&hg=63&fg=05
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

They shape is the same but there is indeed SOME difference with the ZKW vs AL/Bosch. They part number on realoem is different and I have no idea why. Maybe the material is tougher due to the higher intensity of the ZKW lights? Idk
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
All you guys with pre-facelift lights should qualify your advice. I wish I had it as easy as you.
Cannot replace lens on the newer lights without baking them off. Not sure you can even buy new lenses for these.

Every vehicle i've owned has not had interchangeable headlight lenses. E46 felt like a luxury to pop them off and have them looking brand new again.
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post

buy some crappy ebay lights and just use that lens IF it's good enough
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
There are different lenses for cars with halogen lights and cars with Xenon. The Xenon lenses are more expensive...go figure. They likely have a coating on them due to the xenons.

As others have said, you can polish and make them look brand new. But you polish off the UV blocking layer on the plastic, so they will haze over in a few months at most. You can use a UV blocking headlight spray or a wax with UV blocking properties (most modern waxes work fine). But if you get lazy, they'll haze over again and require a little bit of buffing.

FWIW, i've used the 3M kit. It's nearly $30, but works very very well and the components last long enough to do a number of sets of headlights. It's nice to have their little buffing pad (goes into your drill) as well, for touchups if you decide to go that route. It's worth the money IMO if you want a restoration kit.

The long term solution is new lenses and lamin-x. Not cheap. But like any new lenses, it will wake up the front end completely. This is on my to-do list for the spring.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
They shape is the same but there is indeed SOME difference with the ZKW vs AL/Bosch. They part number on realoem is different and I have no idea why. Maybe the material is tougher due to the higher intensity of the ZKW lights? Idk
They are interchangeable. That's all. Nothing further. Buy the ones khoalty sells. The ZKW lenses are no different except they may possibly be polarized.

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE

Last edited by DonaldE; 03-06-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Well the way I see it, I really don't have anything to lose by trying to buff it out. The cloudiness is minimal, and I don't think there is any pitting. I'll try it, and see how it goes. If it clouds over again, I'll buy new lenses later down the line.

Might as well try a cheap alternative if I'm looking at replacing them anyways.

If RealOEM says the lenses are different, then the lenses are different. 'Nuff said. I trust that BMW wouldn't charge an extra $30 for something that is just labeled differently, but doesn't actually have a difference.

Thanks for the posts, all.
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
Well the way I see it, I really don't have anything to lose by trying to buff it out. The cloudiness is minimal, and I don't think there is any pitting. I'll try it, and see how it goes. If it clouds over again, I'll buy new lenses later down the line.

Might as well try a cheap alternative if I'm looking at replacing them anyways.

If RealOEM says the lenses are different, then the lenses are different. 'Nuff said. I trust that BMW wouldn't charge an extra $30 for something that is just labeled differently, but doesn't actually have a difference.

Thanks for the posts, all.
Yeah dealerships NEVER try to get more money for no reason. Sound logic

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

^ I just spent some time researching the lenses. No difference between AL and ZKW.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #32
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
^ I just spent some time researching the lenses. No difference between AL and ZKW.
Lol. Better late than never I suppose

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Just buy the new lenses from khoalty. Totally worth it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #34
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
The long term solution is new lenses and lamin-x.
^ This. I've used Lamin-X on a number of cars.

As a side benefit, the Lamin-X also provides some protection against chipping and cracking. As long as you wax the Lamin-X every time you wax your car, it should stay crystal clear. And if it takes a beating (thereby saving your lens), you can just peel it off and put on another.

Last edited by sunsetcoast; 03-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #35
ccdrr318

My Ride: 330i
I tried with brake fluid and it worked!!
ccdrr318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #36
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdrr318 View Post
I tried with brake fluid and it worked!!
I really hope nobody takes you seriously.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
ClaytonL

My Ride: 2003 325i
So glad I saw this thread! I was about to buy lenses from ECS for $100 each!! This is one awesome deal.
I do have the ZKW so I can report back once I have them installed and verify that they fit correctly.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #38
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
So my experience from Florida where the sun kills headlight lenses:
New car - headlights haze after about 6-8 years.
Option 1 - OE Replacement lenses - another 6-8 years.
Option 2 - ebay headlights - 1 year and haze.
Option 3 - Polish OE headlights - this is where it gets interesting: Plastic yellows in about 6 months, not just the surface haze, but yellow all the way through the plastic.

2 and 2 together = there is a UV protective coating on new OE headlights that must be there in order to protect the plastic.

so... option 4 - wet sand 2000, wet sand 3000, Clearcoat with UV protective polyurethane (no need to buff, clearcoat fills the haze left behind by the wet sanding) - been a year and a half and still looks new. Have done this to 3 different cars now. The better the clear coat, the longer it will last.

my $0.02

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #39
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
Yeah dealerships NEVER try to get more money for no reason. Sound logic
RealOEM does not reflect the prices of an actual dealership; RealOEM shows the prices that BMW as a company sets. In fact, dealership prices may vary depending on location and product availability.

If BMW is (1) selling two sets of headlight covers that are EXACTLY the same, (2) claims that they are different (as is shown on RealOEM), and (3) furthermore charges different prices by the justification that the covers are in fact different, then we are looking at a case of legal misrepresentation (or on the verge of, at least). I highly doubt this is the case.

Khoalty does say this, though: "XENON/HALOGEN does not matter, our lenses are safe for both"

I don't really know who to believe, but I do trust BMW as the original manufacturer of the vehicle.

Last edited by EmDeeAr; 03-07-2013 at 10:54 PM.
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #40
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonion View Post
Not necessarily, just think it is worth permanently solving the issue than buying a temporary solution. Besides, $72 is not a lot for what this can do to improve the appearance of your vehicle.
Why do you think this is a permenant solution? The new lenses will get sandblasted, and look like Sh!t within a few years, just like the originals.
I wet sanded mine, and polished them back to almost new condition. But you will not get those results from some kit. I had to end up using 250 grit sandpaper to remove the deepest divots. I worked my way up to 3000 grit, and then polished it with polishing compound. I have a spare set of lenses that I also restored, and after a year or so, I remove one set, and put the other ones on. Then, I have a year to polish the other set back to near perfection. They require very little work after just one year, but there is definitely damage to be repaired. This is no different than doing paint correction on your car, and once you have the right tools and practice, it is fairly easy. In fact, wet sanding and polishing my lenses gave me th confidence and the practice needed to learn to do so on my cars paint. I was able to take heavily swirled paint, and return it to almost new condition. I highly reccomend it to anyone who wants to learn to do paint correction.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote