E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Maybe I had a bad experience.....one of my favorite places here in St. Louis has foie on the menu and the two times I've had it it's been a bad consistency. Now that I'm thinking about it, I did, however, have it in Amsterdam on NYE and it was very good. It was more firm, on top of some rocket leaves on a fancy toast point.
It should have *some* body to it. A crisp golden outside but a nice inside. If the inside is too pink and slimy, it just means they cooked it on too hot of a pan and too quickly, so it seared but didn't have time to cook all the way through. I would say 80% of fois gras in restaurants I come accross is cooked incorrectly (like mentioned above.)
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #22
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Truffle oil has nothing to do with truffles. It is made be perfumists. You are correct, it's dogsh!t.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dail...ur-pantry.html
"truffle oil" used in most restaurants is usually synthetic, and not even 1/4th as good as the real thing (eating real truffles that is, I've never had a "real" truffle oil)

Last edited by nardog; 03-07-2013 at 02:16 AM.
nardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #23
Bart Taylor

My Ride: 2000 323i touring
Never tried foie gras, googled it for more info. Bad choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i know in your head that sounded like a nice comeback/argument but you just sound like a fool.
Bart Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Taylor View Post
Never tried foie gras, googled it for more info. Bad choice.

i really do feel bad for the birds, but it's so freakin delicious
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i really do feel bad for the birds, but it's so freakin delicious
This. I've watched the feeding in person. It takes a second, and the birds don't even flinch. Commercial chicken farms are FAR more cruel than fois gras farms, which is like a club med for birds in comparison.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
People who won't eat fish and sushi.... Why?

The couple friends who don't eat it tell me they had it once and didn't like it. Close minded.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post

The couple friends who don't eat it tell me they had it once and didn't like it. Close minded.
Yea, lumping all sea creatures into the "fish" category seems a bit extreme.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post

ive never met a close-minded/picky eater that seems to truly enjoy their food. it just seems like something they do to not die. makes me sad
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
Bart Taylor

My Ride: 2000 323i touring
Quote:
Yea, lumping all sea creatures into the "fish" category seems a bit extreme.
this

I am all for most fish and shellfish, but not a big fan of the bi-valve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i know in your head that sounded like a nice comeback/argument but you just sound like a fool.
Bart Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
do you use tongs or your bare hands to pick them up?

also to stay on topic, i do not like caviar
I pick them up with my hands, and remove the bands with my hands. Been handling lobsters since i was 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Tuna belly is awesome but not worth $15 a slice IMO.

Mark up is the same, but i don't know the wholesale cost of beef haha But that's the main thing...the just boil it in ****ing plain water..least steaks they have a 1500degree grill or a good house made gorgonzola butter or something..not just a ****ing overpriced lobster thrown in a pot.

there is a restaurant i order lobster from but it's stuffed so different and amazing.
Venus di Milo in MA has a baked stuffed lobster that is to die for. Unfortunately the restaurant is stuck in the 70's and they somehow still stay in business (banquets and weddings.) The restaurant portion has a large sign that says "no cellphones" and they don't play any music in the restaurant.

lol

As for toro, i get my fix with white tuna for cheap. It has that similar buttery texture to it, enough to satisfy my palate without spending that much money on toro.

Quote:
Truffle oil has nothing to do with truffles. It is made be perfumists. You are correct, it's dogsh!t.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dail...ur-pantry.html

truffle oil is pungent, over powering, and should be used VERY sparingly in very FEW dishes/ingredients. The extent of truffle oil i use is a light toss with some french fries, or i will toss < a teaspoon with arugula if i am having beef carpaccio. I'll mix in some lemon juice as well to cut through that flavor, but other than that. I don't use it. "Truffle" mashed potatoes GTFOutta here!
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #31
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
+1 on fois grais. can't stand the texture/taste nor get it's appeal. I had it at a fancy hotel wrapped in cotton candy, tasted like crap.

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled

Last edited by taxi_driver; 03-09-2013 at 01:26 AM.
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #32
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
umami burger makes a really awesome truffle burger

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #33
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
I pick them up with my hands, and remove the bands with my hands. Been handling lobsters since i was 4

Venus di Milo in MA has a baked stuffed lobster that is to die for. Unfortunately the restaurant is stuck in the 70's and they somehow still stay in business (banquets and weddings.) The restaurant portion has a large sign that says "no cellphones" and they don't play any music in the restaurant.

lol

As for toro, i get my fix with white tuna for cheap. It has that similar buttery texture to it, enough to satisfy my palate without spending that much money on toro.

truffle oil is pungent, over powering, and should be used VERY sparingly in very FEW dishes/ingredients. The extent of truffle oil i use is a light toss with some french fries, or i will toss < a teaspoon with arugula if i am having beef carpaccio. I'll mix in some lemon juice as well to cut through that flavor, but other than that. I don't use it. "Truffle" mashed potatoes GTFOutta here!
you know most of white tuna sushi sold is actually escolar (butterfish) which has bad side effects when eaten in large portions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

A small portion is cooked in the Hawaiian dish LauLau, steamed along with pork belly or shoulder and wrapped in taro leaves and it's good but I don't eat escolar raw.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 03-09-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #34
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
recent article about the fish....
http://www.realscience.us/2013/02/22...nt-fish-fraud/

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #35
kanyeWest
Banned User

My Ride: my car, smh.
Pvssy is rediculously expensive. $160 for one serving?? And that's for low end pvssies, I'm not even going to talk about the high class ones.

Sent from your girl's nostrils.
kanyeWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #36
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
you know most of white tuna sushi sold is actually escolar (butterfish) which has bad side effects when eaten in large portions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

A small portion is cooked in the Hawaiian dish LauLau, steamed along with pork belly or shoulder and wrapped in taro leaves and it's good but I don't eat escolar raw.
yea i know its escolar, most of the places around here call it white tuna so it was just habit lol. just like "chilean sea bass" is pantagonian tooth fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyeWest View Post
Pvssy is rediculously expensive. $160 for one serving?? And that's for low end pvssies, I'm not even going to talk about the high class ones.

Sent from your girl's nostrils.
is this your idea of trying to be funny? its not working...

Last edited by JJR4884; 03-11-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #37
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
I have to be the one to disagree with most, fois gras is delicious if done right, super flavorful. Had it seared alongside seared duck breast a couple weeks ago and it was phenomenal. I happen to like king crab, the smaller crabs are just such a pain to pick out the meat haha.

I absolutely love sushi, had some tonight, but the fish is definitely priced very high (nigiri), I guess their rationale for high prices is the "art" of it.

Caviar I can agree with, but if you're buying expensive caviar you're not really worrying about the price...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #38
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
ive never met a close-minded/picky eater that seems to truly enjoy their food. it just seems like something they do to not die. makes me sad
I'm in this category. Eating is something I do to keep going, not something I take a ton of pleasure out of.

It's never bothered me
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #39
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I'm in this category. Eating is something I do to keep going, not something I take a ton of pleasure out of.

It's never bothered me
like... there isn't a pasta dish you could eat a pound of, or that perfect burger or steak that you just NEED ever so often?

bacon???

i feel like i need to help you... please let me
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #40
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgplayer69 View Post
I have to be the one to disagree with most, fois gras is delicious if done right, super flavorful. Had it seared alongside seared duck breast a couple weeks ago and it was phenomenal. I happen to like king crab, the smaller crabs are just such a pain to pick out the meat haha.

I absolutely love sushi, had some tonight, but the fish is definitely priced very high (nigiri), I guess their rationale for high prices is the "art" of it.

Caviar I can agree with, but if you're buying expensive caviar you're not really worrying about the price...
foie gras is amazing when even done just ok lol....

I get the whole "art" thing with the sushi, but i don't understand the rationale between this typical menu "logic"

$4 for Tuna, 1 piece nigiri or 2 pieces sashimi

So you mean to tell me that the "art" and cost of that teaspoon of rice is worth the other slice of tuna? Eff that, give me the sashimi with a $1 side of sushi rice, i'll make it my goddamn self