E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #41
kanyeWest
Banned User

My Ride: my car, smh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post

is this your idea of trying to be funny? its not working...

My facts are legit. What's wrong pumpkin?? I guess you don't eat pvssy then?

Sent from your girl's nostrils.
kanyeWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #42
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
People who won't eat fish and sushi.... Why?

The couple friends who don't eat it tell me they had it once and didn't like it. Close minded.
Because I don't like the fishy flavors. I don't mind fish if it's cooked correctly and not insanely fishy, but nearly everything that comes out of the water has a hint of that taste. I try to like it, but it just doesn't happen. I'll eat crab cakes on occasion, and I enjoyed some calamri at a little restaurant in Lavanga, Italy, but I would never order it. My friend who was with me that night told me to never order calamari again because he eats a lot of it and said what we had was by far the best he had had.

Basically, I don't write off everything that comes from the sea, but 90% of the time it doesn't jibe with my taste buds.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-11-2013 at 01:01 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #43
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
Quote:
foie gras is amazing when even done just ok lol....

I get the whole "art" thing with the sushi, but i don't understand the rationale between this typical menu "logic"

$4 for Tuna, 1 piece nigiri or 2 pieces sashimi

So you mean to tell me that the "art" and cost of that teaspoon of rice is worth the other slice of tuna? Eff that, give me the sashimi with a $1 side of sushi rice, i'll make it my goddamn self
totally fair, but supply and demand at that point...most are eating nigiri over sashimi
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #44
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyeWest View Post
My facts are legit. What's wrong pumpkin?? I guess you don't eat pvssy then?

love the enthusiasm, welcome

however step your game up, you'll know what i'm talking about when you are the one getting treated for the night, and you get to eat some poosay at the end of it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgplayer69 View Post
totally fair, but supply and demand at that point...most are eating nigiri over sashimi
i'll beat the system.... sashimi with a side of rice next time, and a ramekin of room temp water
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #45
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyeWest View Post
Pvssy is rediculously expensive. $160 for one serving?? And that's for low end pvssies, I'm not even going to talk about the high class ones.

Its all you can eat though isnt it?

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #46
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Because I don't like the fishy flavors. I don't mind fish if it's cooked correctly and not insanely fishy, but nearly everything that comes out of the water has a hint of that taste. I try to like it, but it just doesn't happen. I'll eat crab cakes on occasion, and I enjoyed some calamri at a little restaurant in Lavanga, Italy, but I would never order it. My friend who was with me that night told me to never order calamari again because he eats a lot of it and said what we had was by far the best he had had.

Basically, I don't write off everything that comes from the sea, but 90% of the time it doesn't jibe with my taste buds.
Strange, I find crab cakes to have a lot stronger fish taste/scent than steamed crab and most sushi other than the cooked eel like Unagi and Anago which I find too fishy smelling. I like sardines but the smell and taste is pretty strong.
I tend to feel cooking concentrates the smell and taste of the fish compared to its raw form for the most part.

Good quality sushi shouldn't be fishy tasting or smelling. Go to an authentic japanese owned and operated place and get sashimi or nigiri where the focus is on the individual fish quality and flavor. I don't go to cheap sushi places where sushi is a bargain or operated by non-japanese because I don't trust the quality of the fish or quality of the rice, which is just as important for sushi. I also don't get those crazy rolls because the sauces can cover up what may be poor quality fish.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 03-12-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #47
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
Strange, I find crab cakes to have a lot stronger fish taste/scent than steamed crab and most sushi other than the cooked eel like Unagi and Anago which I find too fishy smelling. I like sardines but the smell and taste is pretty strong.
I tend to feel cooking concentrates the smell and taste of the fish compared to its raw form for the most part.

Good quality sushi shouldn't be fishy tasting or smelling. Go to an authentic japanese owned and operated place and get sashimi or nigiri where the focus is on the individual fish quality and flavor. I don't go to cheap sushi places where sushi is a bargain or operated by non-japanese because I don't trust the quality of the fish or quality of the rice, which is just as important for sushi. I also don't get those crazy rolls because the sauces can cover up what may be poor quality fish.

I used to enjoy all those fancy overkill rolls, but they are so sickening and pretty much insulting (some at least) to the word sushi/maki. There are so many places popping up around here that have the most asanine sushi rolls, sitting i a puddle of unagi/spicy mayo/whatever the eff else combination.

if you want to know how fresh their fish is, try the mackeral
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #48
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post

You're eating terrible crab cakes then, no offense. It's hard to find good crab cakes..But they have NO fish taste/smell if made with good meat and done correctly. Freaking wish shipping wasn't so damn expensive i'd send a few guys on the forum some samples. I would never eat a crab cake that smelled fishy The only time crab meat has a strong odor is when it's bad.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #49
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
You're eating terrible crab cakes then, no offense. It's hard to find good crab cakes..But they have NO fish taste/smell if made with good meat and done correctly. Freaking wish shipping wasn't so damn expensive i'd send a few guys on the forum some samples. I would never eat a crab cake that smelled fishy The only time crab meat has a strong odor is when it's bad.
This x 300. About 75% of crabcakes on the "market" are crappy canned crab. On top of that, they use fish meat filler. On top of that, 40% of the cake is bread. If you eat a quality crabcake made with 96% fresh lump/superlump, you'd know the difference right away....however, the cost is usually up there as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #50
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

I used to enjoy all those fancy overkill rolls, but they are so sickening and pretty much insulting (some at least) to the word sushi/maki. There are so many places popping up around here that have the most asanine sushi rolls, sitting i a puddle of unagi/spicy mayo/whatever the eff else combination.

Troof right there. Mackerel is the best gauge for freshness. It gets nasty and smells like piss fast, so if it has a clean taste, the place is legit.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #51
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:

Sushi was traditionally a snack food for eating on the run. They've fetishized it in modern history. Getting offended because someone is overdoing sushi is like getting mad because someone is putting bacon and mayo on a hamburger.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #52
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Sushi was traditionally a snack food for eating on the run. They've fetishized it in modern history. Getting offended because someone is overdoing sushi is like getting mad because someone is putting bacon and mayo on a hamburger.
Who gets mad if you put bacon on anything? Those people need to be slapped.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
NFRs2000nyc

Totally forgot to actually participate in this thread...

Oysters, I can't stand them, in ANY form. Raw, they feel like lumpy snot, and cooked they have a pretty unpleasant texture. I know it's an aquired taste, and I've tried the best on the planet, but still can't get into them.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #54
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
I'll get crap for it but cheeses. not the normal kind but the funk smell taste kinds like bleu cheese and the more eccentric stuff. the wierdest I've gone is munster.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #55
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Troof right there. Mackerel is the best gauge for freshness. It gets nasty and smells like piss fast, so if it has a clean taste, the place is legit.
I never liked it because of that exact reason... the first couple times i had it, it wasn't too pleasant. Fishy, salty... blah. The next time i tried it, it was on a sushi platter (assorted) that I ordered. I ate if first to get it over with and was rather surprised at how good it was.

Also, octopus and razor clam sushi. I don't hate it, but its pointless IMO. The texture is rubbery-ish compared to actual fish, the flavor is bland. idk just doesn't work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
I'm a purist with sushi, so when the unagi overpowers the spicy mayo that overpowers that overpower the rice... etc etc etc, the fish, which should always be the star of any maki roll, gets completely lost.

I get what you are saying, but i think the margin for error with a maki roll is just a tad bit smaller lol

Quote:

Oysters, I can't stand them, in ANY form. Raw, they feel like lumpy snot, and cooked they have a pretty unpleasant texture. I know it's an acquired taste, and I've tried the best on the planet, but still can't get into them.
Besides the texture, what do you think of the flavor? Ugh I LOVE the taste a briny, good sized oyster a squirt of lemon and a tiny dab of good red wine vinegar. You can't get a better fresh ocean flavor than that. Mignonette is good with them as well, but I grew up doing vinegar/lemon and I'm quite biased

do want nao
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #56
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
I'll get crap for it but cheeses. not the normal kind but the funk smell taste kinds like bleu cheese and the more eccentric stuff. the wierdest I've gone is munster.
I'm with you on gorgonzola/bleu cheeses. I can appreciate a good bleu cheese, but its too pungent for me. If a dish comes with it, I always ask if I can substitute goat cheese, its a nice creamy cheese with a little tang and not so... "in yo face i'm motherfvcking bleu cheeeeeeeeese"
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #57
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:

Oysters, I can't stand them, in ANY form. Raw, they feel like lumpy snot, and cooked they have a pretty unpleasant texture. I know it's an aquired taste, and I've tried the best on the planet, but still can't get into them.
I agree with this. Everytime I'm somewhere coastal I try them and I can never get it down without hot sauce and lemon juice. I'm sure I'll try them again in a few weeks down in Key West

Quote:
I never liked it because of that exact reason... the first couple times i had it, it wasn't too pleasant. Fishy, salty... blah. The next time i tried it, it was on a sushi platter (assorted) that I ordered. I ate if first to get it over with and was rather surprised at how good it was.

Also, octopus and razor clam sushi. I don't hate it, but its pointless IMO. The texture is rubbery-ish compared to actual fish, the flavor is bland. idk just doesn't work well.
That explains why I have only ordered mackerel once.....it was at a sub-par sushi joint and it tasted like a fisherman's knuckle.

I had conch nigiri, as well. I love conch, but ordering such a thing in St. Louis, where the nearest conch is 1500 miles away, was a GIANT MISTAKE, lol.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #58
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

I'm a purist with sushi, so when the unagi overpowers the spicy mayo that overpowers that overpower the rice... etc etc etc, the fish, which should always be the star of any maki roll, gets completely lost.

I get what you are saying, but i think the margin for error with a maki roll is just a tad bit smaller lol

Besides the texture, what do you think of the flavor? Ugh I LOVE the taste a briny, good sized oyster a squirt of lemon and a tiny dab of good red wine vinegar. You can't get a better fresh ocean flavor than that. Mignonette is good with them as well, but I grew up doing vinegar/lemon and I'm quite biased

do want nao
I don't mind the "sea" flavor (which is why I love cockles and welks) but I can't say the flavor is amazing. I am also under the belief that food tastes better cooked. The flavor of food develops when the water content is removed. Now, sure, some foods taste good raw (ie sushi) but as a rule of thumb, removing water from food intensifies the flavor, adds texture (my main problem with oysters, texture is nasty), etc. There are very few proteins I enjoy raw. I do enjoy a lot "rare" (meat, lobster, pizza dough, etc).
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #59
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I agree with this. Everytime I'm somewhere coastal I try them and I can never get it down without hot sauce and lemon juice. I'm sure I'll try them again in a few weeks down in Key West

That explains why I have only ordered mackerel once.....it was at a sub-par sushi joint and it tasted like a fisherman's knuckle.
Southern oysters SUCK. They are creamy, salty, tangy. Oysters take much better to colder water, aka anything north of connecticut and washington state. They have "blue point" oysters out of virginia that are absolute garbage, unless they are from CT I wouldn't spend a nickel on them.

And to anyone else who tries them, take my advice and see if you like it. Figure a half teaspoon of a 1:1 ratio of fresh lemon juice and a good red wine vineage. I am seriously craving a dozen Salt Ponds right now, RI's top oyster by far
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #60
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

I had conch nigiri, as well. I love conch, but ordering such a thing in St. Louis, where the nearest conch is 1500 miles away, was a GIANT MISTAKE, lol.
Chonch and octopus are very difficult to get right, but when it is done right, it's amazing. I LOVE grilled octopus. The greeks got that down pat.