E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #101
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i think youre missing the point of food. they could just as well get a delicacy that's rare and still tastes good.
I think he's trying to convey (and he is correct) that these things are not eaten for the taste, but rather for the "rarity and expense" of it. If you came over my house and I fed you Kobe, Fois Gras, and Beluga you would feel like you were treated better than if I fed you chicken and tater tots. I get it. It's similar to throwing gold leaf on crap....add nothing but $$$.

Having said that, I agree with you, I don't eat food that's simply expensive that tastes like nothing. I never saw the point. Add that to the cruel practice of it, and it loses its appeal (to westerners) completely. The eating expensive crap for the sake of expensive crap is weird to me. Thats like me feeding you Amore Leopard (rarest cat in the world) sh!t just to tell you that I had to traverse through Siberia, camp out in -40 degree weather for 40 days and nights just to bring you back a nice nugget....the thought is there, but you're still eating leopard sh!t.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #102
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Going back to Mr. Rolleyes up top...do you know why they toss the rest of it back? Because the meat tastes like crap, and no one would pay for it. You'd think that with the poverty in China they can use to meat to feed the needy, but they don't even do that. It's worthless. You can buy a shark steak in the supermarkets in the US (not all, but many carry it)...if you come across it, pick one up just to try it. Its like swordfish (which is a pretty crappy fish IMHO) but drier and tougher...without any flavor to boot. It's just "protein."
if you don't think swordfish is good, you either haven't had good swordfish or you don't know what good fish is.

a good swordfish steak can compare nicely to a tuna steak.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #103
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
if you don't think swordfish is good, you either haven't had good swordfish or you don't know what good fish is.

a good swordfish steak can compare nicely to a tuna steak.
It's a matter of taste. I don't think swordfish is good period, and I don't like tuna a) warm b) anything but maybe seared, sliced thin, and served with an asian glaze of some sort. Eating a tuna steak or a swordfish steak is not appealing to me in the slightest. The tuna used for steaks is also of poor quality (note, not poor freshness, but poor quality.)
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #104
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoguy View Post
Well, you guys are missing the point with expensive Chinese delicacies.

The taste is not the primary factor, it's really meant to be used as a peace offering or a sign of respect.

Shark fin soup/ bird's nest is coveted for it's rarity/price.

So say you have guest over, and you take them to a dinner. It is a sign of respect to order those dishes for the table. I don't think anyone orders them due to taste.

Also Chinese new money is everywhere, and they just buy it because they have run out of things to splurge on eg: check out walnut prices, jade, real estate, gold, art paintings in China.
I'm all for respecting others believes, but the Chinese can shove this mentality directly into their asshole

Its carelessness, and ignorance. There is not one logical reason to eat this. Respect? More like irony. You are contributing to pretty much shark genocide where 99% (literally) of the shark goes to waste in the most effed up way possible.

I'm not going to sit hear and preach about animal cruelity, becuase cows, chickens, and veal don't have the best life either, but wtf at least we use the entire animal.

It is disgusting.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #105
JJR4884

Quote:
It's a matter of taste. I don't think swordfish is good period, and I don't like tuna a) warm b) anything but maybe seared, sliced thin, and served with an asian glaze of some sort. Eating a tuna steak or a swordfish steak is not appealing to me in the slightest. The tuna used for steaks is also of poor quality (note, not poor freshness, but poor quality.)
I can grill up a mean swordfish, but I'm with you on that one. Its ok, but there are better fish out there. Same with tuna... warm tuna just doesn't go down well.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #106
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
I'm all for respecting others believes, but the Chinese can shove this mentality directly into their asshole

Its carelessness, and ignorance. There is not one logical reason to eat this. Respect? More like irony. You are contributing to pretty much shark genocide where 99% (literally) of the shark goes to waste in the most effed up way possible.

I'm not going to sit hear and preach about animal cruelity, becuase cows, chickens, and veal don't have the best life either, but wtf at least we use the entire animal.

It is disgusting.
Preaching to the choir man.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #107
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I can grill up a mean swordfish, but I'm with you on that one. Its ok, but there are better fish out there. Same with tuna... warm tuna just doesn't go down well.
Yup. When I got to steakhouses with non-meat eaters, they usually end up getting the swordfish. Its a blah fish. I won't say it tastes bad, but its nothing like a seabass, striped bass, sea bream, red mullet, cod, etc. Not a particularly pleasant texture, not a particularly pleasant taste. Its the fish most often used as menu filler. Tuna tastes the best when raw/rare and with a high fat content. That type of tuna is expensive, and is used for sushi/tartare. The tuna used for steaks is generally low grade low fat tuna, and the result is a mediocre tasting fish.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #108
JJR4884

Pantagonian toothfish
Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #109
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
are they found in pantagonia?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #110
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Pantagonian toothfish
Youre the first person I've heard refer to it by it's actual name. Kudos sir.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #111
JJR4884

Quote:
Youre the first person I've heard refer to it by it's actual name. Kudos sir.
I gotta keep my reputation around here legit my friend
Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #112
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I gotta keep my reputation around here legit my friend
That would be a MUCH tougher sell for $34.25 on the restaurant menu rather than the sexy Chilean Sea Bass. I love how the food industry renames things for the sole purpose of making it more expensive. Most of the "chilean sea bass" isn't even the real deal here. I also say that good quality cod is 90% the fish for less than half the price. Some other restaurant BS "tripe" aka poop tunnel and "offal"...aka guts, sweetbreads, fois gras, etc

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #113
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Sea Bass is one of the few fishes I like that isn't sushi ha. I just bought 4 pounds the other day cost $15lb or so. It's delicious though.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #114
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Sea Bass is one of the few fishes I like that isn't sushi ha. I just bought 4 pounds the other day cost $15lb or so. It's delicious though.
Dude, save your money. Buy quality cod.

Make Miso Glazed Cod....watch everyone you feed it to drool

Bonus points if you can find it with the skin on...

Oh, the best fish (money no object) IMHO is halibut.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-18-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #115
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I got skin on sea bass does that count haha

maybe ill order some halibut next time

Just called to get some prices

Cod: $8.80 lb skin on large cod
$11.25lb market cod skin on

Sea Bass: $15.30lb skin on

Halibut: $17.45lb skin on farm raised right now though...how does that compare to wild caught?

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 03-18-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #116
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I got skin on sea bass does that count haha

maybe ill order some halibut next time

Just called to get some prices

Cod: $8.80 lb skin on large cod
$11.25lb market cod skin on

Sea Bass: $15.30lb skin on

Halibut: $17.45lb skin on farm raised right now though...how does that compare to wild caught?
Farm raised fish tends to be more tender and have a higher fat content. I wouldn't mind a quality farm raised product.

I assume your prices are wholesale prices, not retail correct? The difference (at whole foods for instance) is $24.99 for sea bass vs $10 for cod. Halibut they don't even have, and when someone does it's almost pushing $30 a pound.

Hell if you wanted to try and experiment, you can try all 3 together just to see which one you prefer. Halibut is very fatty/oily especially if you keep the spine in, but is VERY easy to overcook. Can't walk away when cooking halibut.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-18-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #117
JJR4884

As opposed to the pantagonian toothfish () where you can't overcook that effing thing if you tried lol
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #118
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Farm raised fish tends to be more tender and have a higher fat content. I wouldn't mind a quality farm raised product.

I assume your prices are wholesale prices, not retail correct? The difference (at whole foods for instance) is $24.99 for sea bass vs $10 for cod. Halibut they don't even have, and when someone does it's almost pushing $30 a pound.

Hell if you wanted to try and experiment, you can try all 3 together just to see which one you prefer. Halibut is very fatty/oily especially if you keep the spine in, but is VERY easy to overcook. Can't walk away when cooking halibut.
Yeah, wholesale pricing. I'm just trying to find some fish I actually enjoy eating, I'm a red meat type of guy ha. Ill order some cod and halibut this week or next and give it a try. The place I buy from has high quality fish, they sell to a lot of higher end restaurants in the area.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #119
JJR4884

Quote:
Yeah, wholesale pricing. I'm just trying to find some fish I actually enjoy eating, I'm a red meat type of guy ha. Ill order some cod and halibut this week or next and give it a try. The place I buy from has high quality fish, they sell to a lot of higher end restaurants in the area.
Whole pan fried red snapper
Grouper is effing delicious
Sea Bass
That cod looks unfvckingbelievably delicious, and white flakey fish are my least favorite
Artic Char
Coho Salmon

And for a snack, marinate some sardines in oil, lemon, parsley, and put it over some crostini

Last edited by JJR4884; 03-18-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #120
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Halibut likes a light sauce and a pan sear at most. Needs constant basting for optimum cooking. Cod can be cooked the same way, but can be oven roasted as well, but unless your piece is 2"+ thick, I'd do it all in the pan. Skin on!!!