E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #121
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
Whole pan fried red snapper
Grouper is effing delicious
Sea Bass
That cod looks unfvckingbelievably delicious, and white flakey fish are my least favorite
Artic Char
Coho Salmon

And for a snack, marinate some sardines in oil, lemon, parsley, and put it over some crostini
Werd up on every word except Im not huge on the char and coho. They (compared to the farm raised salmon) are pretty low in fat (very active fish) and are a tad on the dry side. I'd gladly eat them at someone's house, but I'd never pay for them. I don't think they are worth it.

Grouper by FAR makes the best fish/chips and fried fish. Anytime I see friend grouper in ANY form on any menu, I order it.

I also LOVE freshwater fish. The bones are a bit annoying, but fresh freshwater fish is delicious. Brook trout, hell, trout of any kind, crappies, etc have an awesome flavor when just pan fried. A lot of these fish are only expensive because the restaurant world pumps them up. Red snapper is expensive for absolutely no reason. I like to buy fish that's cheap and cook something awesome with them, rather than super high end fish. You can always judge someone's cooking ability based on how well they can take something incredibly cheap and turn it into something awesome.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-18-2013 at 06:36 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #122
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
I don't eat much cooked fish. The main one I eat now is fried Catfish which I love. I'll eat smoked whitefish, smoked salmon and cured lox too. I order cooked fish maybe 10% of the time I go out to eat.
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #123
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
I don't eat much cooked fish. The main one I eat now is fried Catfish which I love. I'll eat smoked whitefish, smoked salmon and cured lox too. I order cooked fish maybe 10% of the time I go out to eat.
I order it maybe 1% of the time since I am in Illinois and you can't be sure it will be fresh and taste good, so I usually only order fish if I am working in FL or traveling to the East Coast. More expensive restaurants now though have good fish here with better shipping capabilities.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #124
sfcjetjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Avon Park, Florida
Posts: 287
My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
My daughter hates lobster! I hate caviar of any kind!
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #125
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjetjr View Post
My daughter hates lobster! I hate caviar of any kind!
Did you ever try the real deal?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #126
Volvoguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nyc
Posts: 18
My Ride: IS300;Volvo s60T;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i think youre missing the point of food. they could just as well get a delicacy that's rare and still tastes good.
I'm not saying I do it. Just saying the rationale.

I personally would prefer lobster.
__________________
Volvoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #127
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,187
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjetjr View Post
My daughter hates lobster! I hate caviar of any kind!
I wouldn't like lobster if i was down in FL either. No offense, but rock/spiny lobster BLOWS compared to maine lobsters.

Unless you are talking about maine lobster. In that case, I'd put her up for adoption
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #128
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
I wouldn't like lobster if i was down in FL either. No offense, but rock/spiny lobster BLOWS compared to maine lobsters.

Unless you are talking about maine lobster. In that case, I'd put her up for adoption
Troof. I buy rock lobsters from time to time (huge tails) but I agree, they don't hold a candle to Maine lobsters.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #129
sfcjetjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Avon Park, Florida
Posts: 287
My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Of course!
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #130
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,187
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Troof. I buy rock lobsters from time to time (huge tails) but I agree, they don't hold a candle to Maine lobsters.
Maine lobsters have huge tails as well. 3 cough cough lb lobsters that is.

And huge claws too
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #131
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
Maine lobsters have huge tails as well. 3 cough cough lb lobsters that is.

And huge claws too
I meant money wise. Pound for pound, you get more meat for your dollar with a rock lobster. I also prefer smaller 1.5lb Maine lobsters, they taste better than the 3lb giants, but if I'm making a dish or a salad with the meat, I'd use the 3lb bugs.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #132
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,187
My Ride: BMW
fvck money

Honestly, i think the "sweet" lobsters are primarily noticeable in the soft shells between.. april to october. hard shelled lobster don't differ in sweetness THAT much IMO. My preference in lobster (lb wise) can be directly linked to my preference in my GPA
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #133
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
fvck money

Honestly, i think the "sweet" lobsters are primarily noticeable in the soft shells between.. april to october. hard shelled lobster don't differ in sweetness THAT much IMO. My preference in lobster (lb wise) can be directly linked to my preference in my GPA


The b!tch about lobsters is it's never enough. I was up in Maine last summer, and ate lobster damn near daily. If you're hungry, and order a lobster, thats not even enough to suppress the appetite, in fact, it makes it worse. I can eat every ounce of meat on a 2lb lobster in about 2 minutes. If Im hungry at a lobster boil, I'd need 4 lobsters to actually get full. Damn those bugs.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #134
iwannagofast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 858/305
Posts: 315
My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
i love the spiny lobsters we get down here... no claws... but the tail is meat super sweet. Being able to dive off of beaches where i reach my hidden spots snorkeling is a plus too.
__________________

xbox live: stopthisfall

Last edited by iwannagofast; 03-19-2013 at 08:35 PM.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #135
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,380
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post


The b!tch about lobsters is it's never enough. I was up in Maine last summer, and ate lobster damn near daily. If you're hungry, and order a lobster, thats not even enough to suppress the appetite, in fact, it makes it worse. I can eat every ounce of meat on a 2lb lobster in about 2 minutes. If Im hungry at a lobster boil, I'd need 4 lobsters to actually get full. Damn those bugs.
In the exact opposite. I take three or four bites of lobster and I'm full. Too rich for me.

Crabs on the other hand, they're a food and an activity. By the time you pick and eat a few, you're hungry for the next batch.

Growing up an hour or less from the Chesapeake bay and the Atlantic, I generally don't trust seafood from landlocked states. Definitely not catfish. They're the last things left alive when the pollution levels in rivers skyrocket.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #136
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
In the exact opposite. I take three or four bites of lobster and I'm full. Too rich for me.

Crabs on the other hand, they're a food and an activity. By the time you pick and eat a few, you're hungry for the next batch.

Growing up an hour or less from the Chesapeake bay and the Atlantic, I generally don't trust seafood from landlocked states. Definitely not catfish. They're the last things left alive when the pollution levels in rivers skyrocket.
Today it's not that big an issue. I had amazing seafood in Utah (in the middle of nowhere) and had horrible crap in NY. Modern shipping practices and systems have really eliminated any real freshness issues. Usually (in restaurants) old seafood has nothing to do with being land locked or shipping, and has everything to do with bad practices. I've ordered fresh chanterelles and porcinis from Oregon, tuna from CA or Hawaii, fois gras from NY, etc etc etc. Most restaurants simply have horrible practices when it comes to seafood (freezing it, improperly defrosting it, keeping it too long, letting it brine, etc).
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #137
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,187
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post


The b!tch about lobsters is it's never enough. I was up in Maine last summer, and ate lobster damn near daily. If you're hungry, and order a lobster, thats not even enough to suppress the appetite, in fact, it makes it worse. I can eat every ounce of meat on a 2lb lobster in about 2 minutes. If Im hungry at a lobster boil, I'd need 4 lobsters to actually get full. Damn those bugs.
I take my lobster seriosly... you get on average around 4oz of meat per 1lb of lobster... but i do agree, 4 to 5 chics would fill me. The good thing about lobster, for me at least, is when i cook them... i get it with the works.

Pre-lobster

Handfull of oysters and littlenecks, shucked by yours truly
A few shrimp cocktail
A stuffie or stuffed crap
1lb of steamers

Then the lobster steamed on top of every shell i just shucked/steamed

Bottle of Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc throughout the entire ordeal.


Last edited by JJR4884; 03-19-2013 at 11:43 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #138
mcr_driver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 27,378
My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post

The b!tch about lobsters is it's never enough. I was up in Maine last summer, and ate lobster damn near daily. If you're hungry, and order a lobster, thats not even enough to suppress the appetite, in fact, it makes it worse. I can eat every ounce of meat on a 2lb lobster in about 2 minutes. If Im hungry at a lobster boil, I'd need 4 lobsters to actually get full. Damn those bugs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
i love the spiny lobsters we get down here... no claws... but the tail is meat super sweet. Being able to dive off of beaches where i reach my hidden spots snorkeling is a plus too.
How fast can you ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
I take my lobster seriosly... you get on average around 4oz of meat per 1lb of lobster... but i do agree, 4 to 5 chics would fill me. The good thing about lobster, for me at least, is when i cook them... i get it with the works.

Pre-lobster

Handfull of oysters and littlenecks, shucked by yours truly
A few shrimp cocktail
A stuffie or stuffed crap
1lb of steamers

Then the lobster steamed on top of every shell i just shucked/steamed

Bottle of Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc throughout the entire ordeal.

Oysters
Shrimp meh take it or leave it
Stuffie? stuffed crab?
Steamers?
Lobster
Sauv. Blanc
__________________
http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ken10hm2.jpg
mcr_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #139
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,187
My Ride: BMW
Stuffie... aka stuffed quahog. Stuffing and chopped quahog, baked, topped with lemon and tabasco



Stuffed crab, same concept with crab meat



Steamers - soft shell clams. Steam in salt water with a carrot, onion, celery, and some red pepper flakes. Serve with drawn butter.




my god steamers are by far the best shellfish out there.... insanely delicious
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #140
Mike Larry
Registered User
 
Mike Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 131
My Ride: 575 nello
^i freaking love steamers
__________________
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use