E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Nikon D80 upgrade from D70

My girl currently has a D70 with roughly 11k shots on it (going from memory) and I have the opportunity to get a D80 that was just refurbed for $300. I believe it has less then 5k shots.

I have done my own reading online and it is a slight upgrade but nothing amazing.

She is not a professional photography by any means but takes photos for friends and family for $$$ and would like to get more serious on the future.

Her birthday is coming up at the end of they month and I am highly considering getting it, but wanted a few more opinions.

TIA

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Both are good beginner DSLR cameras. Both are obsolete by today's standards but still good learners. The number of shutter cycles on each isn't very high, so don't worry about that.

I would recommend staying with the D70 until she does in fact get more serious. Spend the $300 now on professional instruction or courses. That will advance her skills infinitely faster than a new camera ever will. Neither of those cameras are pro or even semi-pro, and like you say the jump from the D70 to the D80 is insignificant anyway. When she does get more serious, she will probably need to step up to a larger body like the D300S or D7000.

Last edited by LeMansteve; 03-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
sunydude

My Ride: Boost
I have used both D80 and D70. The LCD alone makes it worth the upgrade, because the d80 has a much better display than the tiny one on D70. Performance wise its nominal but still decent.

That being said anything newer like D5000, D5100, D7000 or higher will easily beat the D70, D80 performance on ISO and grain. If you can get a used d5000 or even a d90 for a little over $300, I would go for it.

E46 325i - sold
E46 M/// - sold
2011 WRX - sold !!!

Back to BMW :-)
sunydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
D70 to D80 is great but it's not a huge upgrade. You are still using the same software. D70 has the same shutter speed as the D200/D300

I agree with sunydude and would go with a D90 or D300. No D5000 (downgrade). With the D90 you get usable 1600 ISO. Newer firmware which includes these features.. Live View, FAce Detection, New info display on main LCD, Active D-Lighting, Info button, and 3D tracking. 4.5 frames per second.

I like Live View. It helps to shoot over head or get shots without having to bend. Info Button gives you another view of your menu without having to dive into the menu.

Going from a D70 to a D90 is like having D80 Plus a few features from the D300.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

Going from a D70 to D80 is like getting a D200 with a slower shutter.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

D90 $350-500
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...991055760?r=FE
http://www.adorama.com/INKD90R.html
http://www.adorama.com/INKD90.html#used

D300 $500-600

http://www.adorama.com/INKD300S.html#used
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...991025950?r=FE
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Mouf

I was also concerned on the photo count of her current camera and condition. There is nothing currently physically wrong, but I was under the impression that 15k was the average shot life of the D70. The D80 has less then half her current count and like previously mentioned is fully refurbed so should last a long time.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Mouf

I think she is a ways out on the full fledged high end camera. She doesn't even fully use the manual functions of her current camera and doesn't have a grasp of probably 75% of them.

I was mainly looking at the idea of a very small upgrade with the idea of longevity add mentioned in my last post about the shot count.

Also, say we do move up to a higher end camera are the lenses and batteries interchangeable like the D70 and D80?

Thanks again for all your help with my novice camera questions.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Lenses are interchangeable, batteries might be too.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Lenses will all be interchangeable. If she ever moves up to seriously pro equipment (described by the size of the actual image sensor. consumer is "DX" and pro is "FX") then her current lenses will actually be not ideal. But it sounds like that's getting ahead of things for now.

Generic batteries cost $15 on amazon.com.

The D70 is very, very old. Still very usable, but very old. The D80 is a decent camera, but I wouldn't buy (another) one because you can do better.

I think you should get her a D90. Its got everything she needs, plus it will be easy for her to learn on because it has all of the real buttons for the stuff that you really need to change. The D5x00 cameras don't have real buttons so I feel like changing things would be more of a challenge and therefore less easy to learn and start using.

She should know the basics of autofocus, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. Know the different auto focus modes and how to select a subject. From there you can start using the "P" mode (program). Learn how to either set iso manually or set up auto-iso. Learn exposure composition for different lighting. Flash is very easy to figure out but you should understand how to enable it to work properly. Understand the importance of white balance and start shooting in NEF(RAW). Get Lightroom and figure out your workflow and some post processing. congratz, you're now a halfway decent photographer, technically speaking. In my self-taught psudo-pro-sumer but-actually-highly-uneducated-opinion.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
saxual328ci

D70 uses a CF card .. D80/D90 uses SD cards.

imo You're not getting a small upgrade if you go from D70 to D80. The main thing is you are loosing the faster shutter if you move to D80. I've shot with the D70 and from what I remember it was pretty solid camera. Most people that own it, did not get the D80 because there wasn't a really enough reason to upgrade. Sure you get a bigger screen, more megapixels, and more AF points but that's it.

I had to figure out the camera quirks when I started shooting digital. On film you just worry about the aperture and shutter. Once I grasp what my D50 was doing, I then moved back to shooting in Manual mode. Before I started shooting in Aperture mode, and then Shutter mode. This way you can learn what the camera is doing, and how to set your camera. Sure when I'm partying with my friends, that puppy is Auto mode only because I'm "partying" and don't want to put down my drink lol.

A couple of my friends started with the basic setup. They took a few classes at the camera shop and when on a couple camera walks. Now they have moved to those D7000 or D90s and shoot in manual modes. It's not that hard. What I like about these cameras is that when you don't feel like shooting in Manual mode you can still go to Auto.

Spend the extra $100 and get her the D90 or another lens. Don't spend the money on the D80 because she's only gaining one thing relevant to shooting (more megapixels) and she's loosing the faster shutter. Well you're gonna loose the faster shutter either way, but with the D90 you will gain more features relevant to shooting.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Mouf

Sooooooo.......

Sticking with the 70. Now what would you guys suggest for an accessory? She has a nice bag and a 18 to 200 (in that range) lense. I was thinking about a flash maybe?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Flash without a doubt.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
Mouf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
Flash without a doubt.
Any suggestions, pretty clueless in photo land.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
The Nikon SB-400.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-400-S...eywords=sb-400

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
LINYBIMMER

My Ride: 2006 330cic
70 -200 especially if she does some portrait photography.
LINYBIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Mouf

Just placed my order for the flash. Thanks again guys.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
saxual328ci

Sweet. I know you're not getting a new body right now.... but I saw Adorama.com had a sale on D90 $540. When your girlfriend is ready to upgrade there will a lot for her to choose from. These DSLR body prices drop quite nicely.