E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
front squats (focus on it more than back squats)
back squats
lounges
Bulgarian squats
sumo squats
step-ups
Romanian deadlifts
stiff-legged deadlifts
lying leg curls

I mix and match, but always do front and back squats, and lounges.
z00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #22
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I was going to try front squats last week for the first time, but when i went to get the bar up the form just felt so unnatural. I feel like i need somebody front squat experienced to give me pointers, or maybe just the bar by itself wasn't heavy enough to hold it right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
I was going to try front squats last week for the first time, but when i went to get the bar up the form just felt so unnatural. I feel like i need somebody front squat experienced to give me pointers, or maybe just the bar by itself wasn't heavy enough to hold it right?

as far as i'm concerned, there's no such thing as increasing the weight to get your form right. master the form going as light as necessary before moving up
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
as far as i'm concerned, there's no such thing as increasing the weight to get your form right. master the form going as light as necessary before moving up
some things are I think. Like cleans. A bar wont even be enough to get my wrists extended and elbow ups. Same goes with the front squat I think.

Trashcan, post a video or something.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Are you focusing on keeping your elbows up?

And what grip are you using

Last edited by dabears; 03-08-2013 at 10:21 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post

I had the same problem when I first started doing them. What you can do it load up a bunch more on the bar than you think you could squat and get into position and just lift the bar out of the rack and hold it there in the correct position. It will help stretch your wrists and elbows and shoulders and get you used to the position you will need to be in.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I had the same problem when I first started doing them. What you can do it load up a bunch more on the bar than you think you could squat and get into position and just lift the bar out of the rack and hold it there in the correct position. It will help stretch your wrists and elbows and shoulders and get you used to the position you will need to be in.
Exactly, this is what I've been doing lately when i'm back squatting, to help stretch everything.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
some things are I think. Like cleans. A bar wont even be enough to get my wrists extended and elbow ups. Same goes with the front squat I think.

Trashcan, post a video or something.
i guess i take it back for cleans. for cleans, you need that momentum and doing it with just the bar would be too light, so it's an exception. i dont see how adding more weight to your front squat can help with form though. personally, the more weight i add, the more i'd compromise my form

Last edited by Mike Larry; 03-08-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
liiiiigghhttt weight baybayyyyy
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
Silversixspeed

Quote:
i guess i take it back for cleans. for cleans, you need that momentum and doing it with just the bar would be too light, so it's an exception. i dont see how adding more weight to your front squat can help with form though. personally, the more weight i add, the more i'd compromise my form
If I lift just the bar off, its not enough weight to stretch my wrists back, so the bar isn't even on my chest. I definitely need "more weight" to help my form on a front squat.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
If I lift just the bar off, its not enough weight to stretch my wrists back, so the bar isn't even on my chest. I definitely need "more weight" to help my form on a front squat.
youre misunderstanding what i'm saying. sure, if your wrists arent being held back enough by the weight, then add more weight to push your wrists back. but that's not the main "form" of a front squat. the front squat is a leg exercise. if you're wobbling all over the place because the weight is too heavy just to stretch your wrists back, you need to cut back on the weight and separately address the flexibility of your wrists.

thats what im saying

Last edited by Mike Larry; 03-08-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #32
dabears

I think glight gave great advice... Once you learn the wrist / initial starting position ( and ensure your elbows are kept up throughout the movement, this does many things including keep your body in line so you aren't tilting forward or back) all you are really doing is squatting with the barbell in a different position

Practicing unracking and reracking a heavy enough bar to stretch the wrists is great advice!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #33
Silversixspeed

Quote:
youre misunderstanding what i'm saying. sure, if your wrists arent being held back enough by the weight, then add more weight to push your wrists back. but that's not the main "form" of a front squat. the front squat is a leg exercise. if you're wobbling all over the place because the weight is too heavy just to stretch your wrists back, you need to cut back on the weight and separately address the flexibility of your wrists.

thats what im saying
I understand what you're saying. But what I was referring to was when Trashcan said at the end of his post "or maybe the bar itself wasn't heavy enough to hold it right"
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
I understand what you're saying. But what I was referring to was when Trashcan said at the end of his post "or maybe the bar itself wasn't heavy enough to hold it right"
my bad i missed that. in that case i would be working on wrist flexibility completely separate from actually doing a front squat. it just sounded to me like he was thinking about compromising his overall form just for his wrists, which imo would be the wrong thing to do

Last edited by Mike Larry; 03-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Poopin gets me pretty sore the next day.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #36
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
For front squats, don't use cross over grip, Olympic one is the way to go. It takes some practice. To get you going, you can use straps to hold BB and reduce pressure on wrists, but if you can get used to Olympic grip it'll be better.

Keep elbows up at all times.

It's easier to go ass to ground with FS, with light weights it's fine but with heavier weights you just need to go to parallel as that helps when getting back up to stay stable and not bend forward.

Be sure your feet are wide enough.
z00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
My leg day typically looks like this:

5 min jog to warm up the legs / get blood flowing a bit.
Stretch out
Quad and Ham curl machines 3x10 on each machine light moderate to heavy
Back squat pyramid up and down from warmup to max then back down
Leg press same thing pyramid up to max then back down
Front squat light moderate back to light
calf raises 3x20
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #38
dabears

Why do you have accessory work like quad ext/ham curls before barbell work?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #39
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Why do you have accessory work like quad ext/ham curls before barbell work?
Yea dont do that
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #40
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
my bad i missed that. in that case i would be working on wrist flexibility completely separate from actually doing a front squat. it just sounded to me like he was thinking about compromising his overall form just for his wrists, which imo would be the wrong thing to do
Yes, wrist flexibility seemed to be my weak point.

What i was trying to say is that with just a 45 pound bar, my wrists want to lift the bar, so i maybe should try at 95 pounds so there's enough weight to stop my wrists from lifting the bar off my chest/shoulders. That weight definitely won't compromise my form.

My next squat day will be Tuesday or Wednesday probably, so I'll give an update then.

I would get a video to show my form, but since i don't have a squat rack in the home gym yet, that's probably not going to happen. I would rather not be "that guy". I don't like taking pictures or videos at the gym...

Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote